LC Model (2018-present)

Do we know if 2025 LC model or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-23, 09:48 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 630 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
I agreed LC500 is a great and a unique vehicle on the road but a far cry from being a unicorn when they’re all sitting on dealers’ lot and on the used market. The notion of it being “ala LFA” and Lexus is losing money making them is laughable. LFA was a fully hand built limited production vehicle. LC500 are mass produced and have the same engine as an IS500 for crying out loud.
And the truth of the matter is, if Lexus ever produces the next coupe(LFR?) as a twin turbo V8 or the rumored 2sec 0-60, the LC would be even more irrelevant.
not a unicorn but its more or less handmade just like the LFA. See the second reason below

you keep saying its laughable that they are losing money, but ive pretty much demonstrated that they are. Unless you can provide evidence that they are making money on this, im pretty sure its a loss leader.

Its also not about the 0-60 times as even the LFA was never the fastest when released. In the age of EV's 0-60 doesnt make any sense anymore. you'll never beat a sub 2 second EV with any Internal combustion car.

Last edited by Badhobz; 12-15-23 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-15-23, 09:52 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 389 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
it doesn’t matter how many they have on the lot. With the current interest rates nobody is buying anything. In Canada I think the interest rate for a lease is at 8.9%. That’s utterly insane. 0 down at 8.9 is over 2700 a month with luxury tax.

that’s more than a lot of people’s mortgages before and will lead to very few sales. When I bought mine they told me the interest rate was 4% and I thought that was high so I elected to pay cash instead.
t

What makes it worse is the interest you can get from the bank if you have 100k. At 4.5% on high yield, most people would rather earn on the interest than buying a car.

Last edited by NickL; 12-15-23 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-15-23, 09:56 PM
NickL
Instructor

not a unicorn but its more or less handmade just like the LFA. See the second reason below

https://youtu.be/y4Lraj0yUdg?si=5AdxGh6F8LFY7Kho&t=122

you keep saying its laughable that they are losing money, but ive pretty much demonstrated that they are. Unless you can provide evidence that they are making money on this, im pretty sure its a loss leader.

Its also not about the 0-60 times as even the LFA was never the fastest when released. In the age of EV's 0-60 doesnt make any sense anymore. you'll never beat a sub 2 second EV with any Internal combustion car.
Great. A YouTube guy says so.
These guys don’t own anything longer than 6 months. His beloved V8 GX460 will be traded in as soon as the GX550 is available. Just watch.
They get a car for a couple days to do a video. Come up with some clickbait title, get views, and move on to the next greatest thing.

I don’t need any evidence. Just look around. You really think lexus needs a halo car to attract customers? How did they survive before the LC500? And How did Toyota ever become the richest car manufacturer.

Last edited by NickL; 12-15-23 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-15-23, 10:25 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

You are right, oif course they dont need a halo car to attract customers. but the whole mission of the LC was because Akio wanted a car to be on Pebble Beach Concourse in the future. It was designed with the singular purpose of being beautiful and collectible. it was to make a statement, just like the LFA (which was also an engineering statement). Its not supposed to sell in high numbers and hence it loses money.

yeah sure you can say it has a "pedestrian engine", but so does a lotus emira (even more pedestrian engine as its off a camry v6) and would you call that a mass-produced volume car?

or a boring pedestrian v8 merc engine in a Konesiegg
Old 12-16-23, 08:32 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

they had those since May!
Each of the dealership here still have at least one ‘23.
I get really sad for this ‘23 everyday as I drive by it. It sits outside in rain, heat, snow, and road dust. The car deserves better.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Unfortunately, Lexus has no one to blame but themselves. There's a long list of customers waiting for their specific LC spec to be built (including mine) yet they insist on building cars that aren't allocated to anyone to put on showrooms to sit with no buyer in mind.

I sincerely hope my build enters production before they kill the LC.
Old 12-16-23, 10:15 AM
NickL
Instructor

You missed my point. The LFA was a limited 500 total vehicle in a 2-year production run. That’s it. Regardless of how well or how bad it was received at the time of production, a total of 500 vehicles were produced. LC500 is not that. Bad sales number does not make a vehicle “rare” or a “unicorn”. LC500 is doing about 1300-1800 of sales in the US since 2018. The rest is sitting on the used market or dealers’ lot. It’s not like Lexus only want to produce these numbers. If numbers were better, they would’ve stepped up production.

Like I said before. I have nothing against the LC500. It’s a great vehicle. If you really like it, buy it and enjoy it. But don’t buy it in hopes that it’ll become a collectible one day.
Old 12-16-23, 10:21 AM
NickL
Instructor

Originally Posted by autozero
Unfortunately, Lexus has no one to blame but themselves. There's a long list of customers waiting for their specific LC spec to be built (including mine) yet they insist on building cars that aren't allocated to anyone to put on showrooms to sit with no buyer in mind.

I sincerely hope my build enters production before they kill the LC.
Lol. I asked all the local dealers and nobody really wanted or even know how to do a bespoke build.
And Lexus just build their own Bespoke and send to dealers. Check out Tustin Lexus, they got lots of bespoke available.
Old 12-16-23, 11:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

tWhat makes it worse is the interest you can get from the bank if you have 100k. At 4.5% on high yield, most people would rather earn on the interest than buying a car.
i put some money in netflix and other stocks that have returned 60% this year. a bit better and paid for the LC. but enjoy that 4.5%.

LC500 is doing about 1300-1800 of sales in the US since 2018.
let's say 1800 for 6 years, that's only ~11K units.

as for re-using the IS-F / GS-F engine, i think the LC config is different with the dual air boxes... ?

IS-F

LC

but anyway, if you don't think it's special, you're entitled to that view, but why are you even here, just to be a debbie downer?

Like I said before. I have nothing against the LC500. It’s a great vehicle. If you really like it, buy it and enjoy it. But don’t buy it in hopes that it’ll become a collectible one day.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-16-23, 11:19 AM
NickL
Instructor

Nope. On the contrary. I like the LC500. I follow it. I’m actually waiting for a USB coming into the local dealer so I can work up a deal with my GSF.
I just don’t think it’s going to be more than anything other than a depreciated used car.
Peace.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (07-13-24)
Old 12-16-23, 12:21 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

You missed my point. The LFA was a limited 500 total vehicle in a 2-year production run. That’s it. Regardless of how well or how bad it was received at the time of production, a total of 500 vehicles were produced. LC500 is not that. Bad sales number does not make a vehicle “rare” or a “unicorn”. LC500 is doing about 1300-1800 of sales in the US since 2018. The rest is sitting on the used market or dealers’ lot. It’s not like Lexus only want to produce these numbers. If numbers were better, they would’ve stepped up production.

Like I said before. I have nothing against the LC500. It’s a great vehicle. If you really like it, buy it and enjoy it. But don’t buy it in hopes that it’ll become a collectible one day.
and you’ve completely missed my point. I didn’t say the LC is the LFA. I said it’s a loss leader and flagship LIKE the LFA

is it a flagship ? Yes. Does it lose money ? Yes.

all cars depreciate too so I’m not even sure where you are going with that. A f12 Ferrari was 600k and now can be had for 200k. Some select few will eventually appreciate but that’s not a certainty.

all I’m saying is that the LC is a loss leader and flagship car designed and built to provide a statement for Lexus. Unless you can provide evidence otherwise I think you lost this argument.
Old 12-16-23, 12:22 PM
NickL
Instructor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i put some money in netflix and other stocks that have returned 60% this year. a bit better and paid for the LC. but enjoy that 4.5%. .
I’m glad someone is smart with their money instead of putting 100k toward LC500 hoping for good return someday. Or worse, borrow at 8.5% interest rate to get an LC500 in this market.
Enjoy the ride. It’s close to 60deg and sunny here in MA. If I have a convertible, the top would be off.
Old 12-16-23, 12:26 PM
NickL
Instructor

and you’ve completely missed my point. I didn’t say the LC is the LFA. I said it’s a loss leader and flagship LIKE the LFA

is it a flagship ? Yes. Does it lose money ? Yes.

all cars depreciate too so I’m not even sure where you are going with that. A f12 Ferrari was 600k and now can be had for 200k. Some select few will eventually appreciate but that’s not a certainty.

all I’m saying is that the LC is a loss leader and flagship car designed and built to provide a statement for Lexus. Unless you can provide evidence otherwise I think you lost this argument.
Lexus is not losing money on selling LC500.
you know what’s their biggest cash cow? No, it’s not just RX and ES, it’s their bank called Lexus financial service. People think getting 5-10k off msrp is a great deal. Even below invoice, they make a ton of money on their LFS loaning you money.
But yeah, you can think that if it makes you feel better.
The following users liked this post:
tennman117 (08-19-24)
Old 12-16-23, 12:38 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Says the guy with no factual basis for his arguments. I don’t care if Lexus financial makes money. I said the LC loses them money. It’s a loss leader.

Of course they aren’t impacted by the LC not selling, Toyota makes millions doing everything else it does. So they don’t care that the LC loses money.
Old 12-16-23, 12:59 PM
NickL
Instructor

It’s called a difference in opinions. You have yours and I have mind. I told you to look around the evidence as you have lots of solid proof that Lexus is losing money on LC.
Old 12-16-23, 02:52 PM
pkim1078
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Don’t know if they will continue after 2024, but if you want one just get one. Eventually this 5.0 v8 will discontinue. Recently our 2022 LC500 for a 2024 LC500 Inspiration Series one.

Quick Reply: Do we know if 2025 LC model or not?