Lexus LC500 vs GS-F vs RC-F: An Owner's Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 07:45 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Lexus LC500 vs GS-F vs RC-F: An Owner's Perspective

Hey everyone,

I recently had the pleasure of driving some of the best 2UR-GSE engine based vehicles (GS-F, RC-F and LC500) back to back to feel the difference between the 3 platforms. Even better, I also interviewed the owner of these 3 vehicles (owns them simultaneously) to provide an owner's perspective on all 3. Really had a great conversation and insight on the 3 cars. Hope you guys enjoy it, and might be useful to any who are cross-shopping or considering any of the 3.

The following users liked this post:
AutoCrazy (10-30-23)
Old 10-30-23, 11:35 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Damn - the sounds not working for me but that’s gotta be coralchpr - I recognize that cool Lexus hat and big banana

Last edited by GatorGreg; 10-30-23 at 01:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GatorGreg:
05RollaXRS (10-30-23), coralchpr (11-01-23), guanche2k9 (10-30-23)
Old 10-30-23, 04:23 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Damn - the sounds not working for me but that’s gotta be coralchpr - I recognize that cool Lexus hat and big banana
Yup - that's CoralChopper! What a sick lineup he's got!
Old 11-01-23, 09:11 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Yup - that's CoralChopper! What a sick lineup he's got!
I was able to finally watch it with sound - great vid and I’m a bit jealous! Funny how we both traded in our C8’s for a yellow LC

Last edited by GatorGreg; 11-01-23 at 09:38 AM.
guanche2k9 (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 11:29 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I just have a comment on the RC-F brakes vs the LC. I remember the 2015 I used to own (new), which was white with red seats, had much bigger 6-piston front calipers than the LC, and wonder why did Lexus do that. Maybe future years had smaller calipers, like the current LC ones, but if not, I wouldn't understand why. I think even the 'sport' and 'handling' packages have the same relatively small calipers, right? But at least the LC has bigger rotors, I think.
Old 11-01-23, 12:38 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 331 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
I just have a comment on the RC-F brakes vs the LC. I remember the 2015 I used to own (new), which was white with red seats, had much bigger 6-piston front calipers than the LC, and wonder why did Lexus do that. Maybe future years had smaller calipers, like the current LC ones, but if not, I wouldn't understand why. I think even the 'sport' and 'handling' packages have the same relatively small calipers, right? But at least the LC has bigger rotors, I think.
RCF is a track-inspired car while the LC is a GT car, hence the larger calipers. That's also why we have oil and trans coolers.
Old 11-01-23, 02:04 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCtx
Funny you mention that - I did cover the brakes in this interview but had technical difficulties during that part of our discussion, hence I had to remove it. One major thing which a lot of people also don't know (if I'm not wrong), both the GS-F and RC-F have Brembo brakes whereas the LC (contrary to what many people think) doesn't. I believe the brakes on the LC are Aisin - with similar specs and calipers. They all have 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears and 2 piece (non-floating) rotors if I'm not wrong. The size of the rotors on the LC are slightly larger than that of the RC-F or GS-F - and I'd assume (as @KennyFSU mentioned) that's because the LC is a larger and heavier car. The pad material is probably similar on all 3 (if you take the pads included in the DHP of the LC as opposed to the less aggressive material). They all have similar "bite" to them.
Based on a visual glance of the RC-F's caliper versus the LC's during my time with both, I didn't notice a difference in size - but frankly I didn't pay close attention. I don't remember what year @coralchpr 's RC-F was - I think it was a 2016, so it might have not had those larger calipers you're referring to.
Old 11-01-23, 05:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

^^^^The caliper sizes between the RCF, GSF and the LC are very similar in size. The LC Calipers are Advics brand:

http://www.advics-na.com/_layouts/mo...77830f89&ID=25

As I posted in the brake thread, the pad material for the LC up to MY2021 is a high performance compound. Starting in MY2022 the Base and Touring packages came equipped with a lower performance pad and the Sport and Dynamic Handling package models came with the original higher performance pads.
guanche2k9 (11-03-23)
Old 11-01-23, 05:04 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I never considered my ex-RC-F a sports car; it felt super heavy. And had a lot of body-roll as well. Maybe for Lexus standards, but driving the RC-F after my Cayman GTS, it felt like a bus. Ha ha. And at least in 2015, the suspension was a mess: softish springs, but too harsh shocks, so it had the worst of both worlds IMO... and I wasn't the only one to think that, after reviews popped up. Very similar to the SC430 I also owned before that car. And also based on reviews, Lexus didn't nail the LC500 at first either (same issues), having to make numerous changes. I think they finally got it mostly right by 2021, although they reportedly made more changes for 2024. But I haven't driven one, so can't comment on those. Lexus should just focus on making their heavy cars good GT cars, which is what they are. A 2-ton sports car is an oxymoron. Oh, and it was noisy as hell too, especially on rough asphalt, so regretted my decision to buy it (blindly). I never imagined a Lexus was going to be noisy inside the cabin, so never ordered a blind car after that one. And that's why I haven't bought anything yet, because I haven't been able to even ride in one yet (next chance will be December, in Austin). Oh, and the calipers look much smaller on the LC to me; I thought they were 4-pot, rather than 6, so they must be smaller. Others will probably confirm that.
Old 11-01-23, 05:38 PM
coralchpr
Driver

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess I'm too much of a Lexus fanboy... bought the RCF twice and will likely buy it a 3rd time when the right TE/Fuji comes around. Absolutely love the car 😊
Old 11-03-23, 01:38 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^The caliper sizes between the RCF, GSF and the LC are very similar in size. The LC Calipers are Advics brand:

http://www.advics-na.com/_layouts/mo...77830f89&ID=25

As I posted in the brake thread, the pad material for the LC up to MY2021 is a high performance compound. Starting in MY2022 the Base and Touring packages came equipped with a lower performance pad and the Sport and Dynamic Handling package models came with the original higher performance pads.
@sickpuppy thanks for the correction - and reference, much appreciated.