LC Model (2018-present)

I need your help if you own an LC 500 Convertible (clicking sound)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23 | 07:04 AM
microsup
Pit Crew

I think, we need to report this to Lexus. Only this way they can create a service procedure. I reported mine, was told that they never heard of problem like this eventually. But they would like to investigate.
so start reporting it, and when we have a lot complaints they will do something.
The following users liked this post:
Badhobz (12-23-23)
Old 07-16-24 | 05:30 PM
355F1
Racer

Since we have so many more owners here now I figured it was time to move this thread to the top since it is summer time and my clicking is back.

Any of you new convertible owners clearly hear a shift in the top?

Old 07-16-24 | 05:38 PM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by Brinylon
Final update, the click is no more, gone, never to be heard again!

Picked up the car and what a relief to drive without the clicking noise. The solution wasn't quite as was suggested in my previous update but in practice it did require some welding but inside the car.

To explain, there is a cross member underneath the rear seats that runs across the car. It is bolted to either side of the car and onto a bit of steel work that effectively floats but tightens to the "B" pillar as the aforementioned bolts are tightened. It sometimes seems no amount of tightening will completely stop any would be movement between the floating element, and when the body flexes, this is when we hear the click. The solution is pretty straightforward and requires the rear seats to be removed along with the "B" pillar internal panel trim. Then it is a case of physically welding the floating element to the "B" pillar.

I gather this is a very rare problem, and you might simply get way with tightening the 3/6 bolts which I think has been the case for some on this forum. I'd also say everything I have read about the problem has been related to your passenger side and indeed that was the case with mine albeit in my case the drivers side.

Furthermore, I have to say I have received truly excellent service from Lexus, their dogged approach to solving this problem has been quite remarkable!
@Brinylon is your problem still fixed?
Old 07-16-24 | 10:58 PM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 355F1
@Brinylon is your problem still fixed?
Regretfully no. I took back the car to Lexus last Friday the 12th July given it started to click again some 2 months ago albeit not with the same frequency as before. However, it is exactly the same noise which I know from experience will return in its entirety. Deeply disappointed and especially given Lexus advised it was fixed but upon collection, I heard it before I'd even left their facility! Going to arrange for them to have another look for the 6th time. This is getting very tiresome and there are a growing number of owners here in the UK who are also experiencing the same problem and again with false dawn solutions.
Old 07-17-24 | 04:05 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JCtx
Curious if any of the cars with the 'clicking' sound have the Yamaha chassis damper, which seems to sit across the chassis, right behind the rear seatback (where the damper is located). It's supposed to help with chassis flex, so curious if it eliminates that 'clicking', to make the Torsen/Yamaha a deal-breaker option on the LC I might buy. Or maybe that's what causes it? Ha ha. Let's see if we can find a definitive pattern (all of them have it, or none) for the cars affected so far.
yamaha damper is not behind seats. It is behind rear bumper cover, so no way to see it or shake it to test.
Old 07-17-24 | 04:11 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

What I discovered so far is my knocking noise related to outside temperature. The higher the temperature the more often I can hear that noise. If outside temperature is below 70 almost no knocking sound.

also I noticed, when I removed almost everything from trunk I heard that noise only once for the whole trip from home to work. Usually it could be like 10 times or so.

then I put everything back, and again was almost no sound, but then temperature rised and sound came back.

it sounds that little gremlin which is seating in the back, doesn't like when it hot and knocking.
355F1 (07-17-24)
Old 07-17-24 | 04:31 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by microsup
yamaha damper is not behind seats. It is behind rear bumper cover, so no way to see it or shake it to test.
Post #32
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...process-3.html
Old 07-17-24 | 04:51 PM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by microsup
What I discovered so far is my knocking noise related to outside temperature. The higher the temperature the more often I can hear that noise. If outside temperature is below 70 almost no knocking sound.

also I noticed, when I removed almost everything from trunk I heard that noise only once for the whole trip from home to work. Usually it could be like 10 times or so.

then I put everything back, and again was almost no sound, but then temperature rised and sound came back.

it sounds that little gremlin which is seating in the back, doesn't like when it hot and knocking.
It only happens at temps above 70ish.

I never have anything in my trunk.
Old 07-18-24 | 04:56 AM
Pit Crew

Just did a +1000 mile round trip to the east coast with temps +90* over there and didn't notice anything, although most was interstate driving until hitting the Cow pastures. Not sure if it makes a difference but did have it set to Normal/Comfort most of the way due to the roads (did have things in the trunk). Understand that's not helpful for you but maybe it's also mileage related, I only have 4K miles accumulated so far.
Old 07-18-24 | 08:11 AM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by 2959
Just did a +1000 mile round trip to the east coast with temps +90* over there and didn't notice anything, although most was interstate driving until hitting the Cow pastures. Not sure if it makes a difference but did have it set to Normal/Comfort most of the way due to the roads (did have things in the trunk). Understand that's not helpful for you but maybe it's also mileage related, I only have 4K miles accumulated so far.
It only happens under 25mph when turning, going over speedbumps, etc.
Old 07-18-24 | 04:42 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Right, like @355F1 said only at low speed, and not always at same places. Once you can make a turn and you can hear a knock, then if you turn same direction no nock, then if you turn opposite direction it might nock. Going over bumps not always make sound, but when you go strait and want to slow down before go over bump it can make a knock, but not always

as I said many times before the convertible knocking sound is different than coupe cracking/clicking sound.
sound not related to brakes it is literally like something rolling in a trunk area but you don’t hear rolling sound it is a hollow knock. It is same sound if you would knock on a door card with your knuckle .

also it is temp related. Today in the morning was slightly above 70 and it was no knocking sound all the way to work.
355F1 (07-26-24)
Old 07-31-24 | 05:42 PM
355F1
Racer

I just can't take this anymore.

My knocking sound has gotten louder. All turns under 25mph and every speedbump/etc.

I went down the Lexus Dealer and sat down with the Service Manager and the shop Foreman. Fortunately they have a lot of LCs that come through.

The foreman even said it is louder than it has ever been when we went for a test drive. Last time they compared it to another LC 'vert and that vert made the same sound although a lot less pronounced.

So...my warranty is expiring in 5 months and I need to know if this is something that is part of the vehicle or if something needs fixed.

I asked him to escalate it to corporate since I have this issue since I bought the car new and they are being super helpful.

So...we wait....and I don't care how long it takes. So I'm big pimpin' in an ES300 Hybrid loaner for awhile.

Last edited by 355F1; 08-01-24 at 08:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 355F1:
Badhobz (08-01-24), microsup (08-02-24)
Old 08-01-24 | 06:27 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

My car is about 2 years old (22 vert) and less than 10,000kms but has that clicking when the body flexes. Its quite muted, but it is there.

This sounds like a tSB should be created to deal with this sort of thing.
355F1 (08-01-24)
Old 08-01-24 | 06:35 AM
NickL
Racer

Originally Posted by 355F1
I just can't take this anymore.

My knocking sound has gotten louder. All turns under 25mph and every speedbump/etc.

I went down the Lexus Dealer and sat down with the Service Manager and the shop Foreman. Fortunately they have a lot of LCs that come through.

The foreman even said it is louder than it has been when we went for a test drive. Last time they compared it to another LC 'vert and that vert made the same sound although a lot less pronounced.

So...my warranty is expiring in 5 months and I need to know if this is something that is part of the vehicle or if something needs fixed.

I asked him to escalate it to corporate since I have this issue since I bought the car new and they are being super helpful.

So...we wait....and I don't care how long it takes. So I'm big pimpin' in an ES300 Hybrid loaner for awhile.
I think if the dealer documented the problem prior to your warranty expire, they will honor the fix even if your car went a little past the warranty period.
Old 08-01-24 | 08:01 AM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by NickL
I think if the dealer documented the problem prior to your warranty expire, they will honor the fix even if your car went a little past the warranty period.
They did tell me that.

Quick Reply: I need your help if you own an LC 500 Convertible (clicking sound)