LC Model (2018-present)

I need your help if you own an LC 500 Convertible (clicking sound)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 09:18 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 632 Likes on 405 Posts
Default I need your help if you own an LC 500 Convertible (knocking sound from under top)

Many times when I turn at less than 24mph I hear a clicking sound when the body shifts coming from underneath the rear (under the glass area in the body of the vehicle) of the convertible top when UP.

This happens sometimes over speed bumps, pulling into and out of driveways, there are somedays it just isn't there at all.

Something is clicking when there is a shift in the body.

I have taken my LC into my local dealer that has many (North Scottsdale, AZ) LC 500 convertible customers, so they see a lot of these vehicles.

The noise was not there until I put about 5,000 miles on the car.

The first time I brought it in they tightened the package tray bolts..and put some insulation in.

1000 miles later the noise came back. They couldn't replicate it.

The noise has never really gone away....I am at 9,500 miles now and they kept my car for the last week only to tell me that the noise I am hearing was also there in another LC 500 Convertible that they tested to compare. They confirmed that the noise is there and it is normal from the convertible top shifting.

I am trying to figure out if I should try a different dealer....contact Lexus NA.....etc.

If it is a normal sound that is supposed to be there then why wasn't it there when the car had 0 miles on it?

So, if you own an LC 500 Convertible:

Have you ever heard a prominent single knock sound coming from underneath the back of the convertible top underneath the glass area (when the top is up) going around corners, pulling into/out of driveways?

Last edited by 355F1; 08-02-24 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-07-23, 01:54 PM
ptnaidu
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a convertible with under 5K miles, I will pay a bit more attention now, but no click there so far, I would have heard by now if it was prominent.
The following users liked this post:
355F1 (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 04:33 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have same clicking/knocking sound. Not very loud and in a soft type of knock. Same way if you would nock your hand knuckle on door card.

I only can hear it when top is up. I have my car when it had 2,250 miles on it and sound was there. When top is down I don’t hear it.
also what I noticed is the sound sometimes less when temperature outside is colder.

I tried to shake the top when it is up, and it is solid no squeaks.

what I also noticed that on a passenger side the top creates a little gap when closed, on a left side it is super tide. But gap is not that big to create a leaking issue, but it is noticeable if you compare left and right sides.

the package tray has those bolts which you have tightened, but those events when sound appears I think not related to those bolts, let me explain why.
sometimes when I came to my driveway but not getting to it yet, so still on the road but slow down and I hear 2 knocks in a row same way if something would roll in a trunk or in package compartment. So the car is not flexing, but sound is in there.

so I was thinking, maybe it is those 2 arms which are rotating and closing top gaps when open. So when top is up those arms could potentially bounce and hit the package compartment cover or those holders which are holding those arms in place.

so I am still investigating the origins of the sound.
355F1 (11-07-23)
Old 11-10-23, 08:00 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

I think this is an issue on the coupes as well, because I also encounter the same noise. I had my dealer take a look at it and they acknowledged the sound. We both confirmed that it happens when the body/chassis is flexing and is most likely associated to some cross bars under the rear seats. They said that they could verify it and tighten or provide some solutions, but it would require removal of the entire rear area (seats, speakers and all NVH materials). I said, no thanks, I can live with that sound, because once you start taking a car apart from factory, you'll never have it the same, and most likely will start hearing other noises in the cabin.

Old 11-10-23, 10:21 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
I think this is an issue on the coupes as well, because I also encounter the same noise. I had my dealer take a look at it and they acknowledged the sound. We both confirmed that it happens when the body/chassis is flexing and is most likely associated to some cross bars under the rear seats. They said that they could verify it and tighten or provide some solutions, but it would require removal of the entire rear area (seats, speakers and all NVH materials). I said, no thanks, I can live with that sound, because once you start taking a car apart from factory, you'll never have it the same, and most likely will start hearing other noises in the cabin.
My coupe goes in next week and for the fourth time to resolve this clicking noise. Last time Lexus appeared to have solved the problem but 35 miles later the click was back. Driving me nuts, and I suspect the poor old master tech at my dealer!
355F1 (11-12-23)
Old 11-10-23, 10:53 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brinylon
My coupe goes in next week and for the fourth time to resolve this clicking noise. Last time Lexus appeared to have solved the problem but 35 miles later the click was back. Driving me nuts, and I suspect the poor old master tech at my dealer!
Please keep us posted on the results of their findings! Thanks.
Brinylon (11-14-23)
Old 11-10-23, 05:08 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

I think that clicking/knocking sound is different from car to car. In my case it is not consistent and not always related to the twist/flex of the body.
sometime when I pulling out from garage I can hear it as soon as the whole car is out and on a slope but flat surface. But during little jump on a door thread there is no sounds. On a hard stop no sounds, but on a slow turn could be a click. On a fast turn on the same corner there is no sound.

also I don’t hear any clicks when top is down. So go figure.
Old 11-11-23, 12:08 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Curious if any of the cars with the 'clicking' sound have the Yamaha chassis damper, which seems to sit across the chassis, right behind the rear seatback (where the damper is located). It's supposed to help with chassis flex, so curious if it eliminates that 'clicking', to make the Torsen/Yamaha a deal-breaker option on the LC I might buy. Or maybe that's what causes it? Ha ha. Let's see if we can find a definitive pattern (all of them have it, or none) for the cars affected so far.
Old 11-12-23, 04:03 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JCtx
Curious if any of the cars with the 'clicking' sound have the Yamaha chassis damper, which seems to sit across the chassis, right behind the rear seatback (where the damper is located). It's supposed to help with chassis flex, so curious if it eliminates that 'clicking', to make the Torsen/Yamaha a deal-breaker option on the LC I might buy. Or maybe that's what causes it? Ha ha. Let's see if we can find a definitive pattern (all of them have it, or none) for the cars affected so far.
I have Yamaha damper and convertible and clicking sound. Also to my surprise I start to hear occasional clicking sound in my 2015 GS 350 FSport awd
Old 11-12-23, 06:59 PM
355F1
Racer

I guess the sound is in fact more of a knock than a click.

I got my car back after they told me it was normal and nothing can be done about it (although they said they fixed the problem 5,000 miles ago when I brought it in.

I will probably take it to a different dealer when I get home--I went to the airport 2 hours after picking my LC up and I am in Bali for 3 weeks.

It's a rough life, I know.

Please keep this thread alive as we need to figure out what this damn sound is.
Old 11-12-23, 10:55 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey guys, don't forget to mention which year your car is, mileage, coupe or convertible, and if you have the Torsen/Yamaha damper (or not). Hopefully we'll be able to see a pattern.
Old 11-13-23, 02:41 AM
355F1
Racer

Hey guys, don't forget to mention which year your car is, mileage, coupe or convertible, and if you have the Torsen/Yamaha damper (or not). Hopefully we'll be able to see a pattern.
My 2021 vert has the Yamaha Dampener.
Old 11-13-23, 04:01 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

2018 Coupe with DHP (Performance Pack) - no Yamaha damper for that year
Old 11-16-23, 09:17 AM
Brinylon
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Please keep us posted on the results of their findings! Thanks.
Took the car into Lexus earlier today and took the master tech for a drive. As ever, the car did its bit and the master tech acknowledged there is indeed a click. We both took some comfort from the fact that the click/knock was as previous, i.e. on acceleration, braking and cornering to the right. However, it did disappear following works that were applied to the car back in September but regretfully only for 35 miles or so. Clearly whatever was done fixed the problem but only temporarily. Apparently someone is now coming from Lexus (HQ?) to assess the problem and hopefully come up with further idea's.
Will keep you updated when I get further news.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brinylon:
355F1 (11-16-23), Dukeaudio (11-16-23)
Old 11-16-23, 04:54 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Some update on my findings.
in the morning now we have 45 degree, and at this temperature almost no knocking. Maybe one per whole 12 miles trip. But today temperature went up to 60 and I have multiple knocks.
all knocks is so mild that when I have music on I don’t hear it.
car has 5000 miles
355F1 (11-17-23)

Quick Reply: I need your help if you own an LC 500 Convertible (clicking sound)