LC Model (2018-present)

LTA v2 - AutoPilot 2024 LCs ONLY! (No Safety-Susans please)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 06:26 AM
FranknStein
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
Just like tesla. intermittently. tort the computer know that your hands are either holding or resting on the steering wheel.

LTA (Lane Trace Assist) is an active Lane ‘Centering’ tech. It works to keep your car centered in the lane. So no ping pong action like the old lane keeping assist which is what you’ve experienced with the Audi (I have a 23 A4), where it acts more like lane departure mitigation (doesn’t do anything to center you, but ping & pong action to keep you in the Lane.

It does a great job on mild curves. As i posted earlier, i tested. on my 24 model, it even slows down the vehicle a bit while on curves (selectable option on the gauge).

people use water bottles to trick the system to be hands off for longer drives. Hence my suggestion for who are doing this. use a smaller weight instead. With radar cruise on, LC drove over an hour with no problems until i canceled and returned home. It’s very good.

If you want something better than this (hands free), look into Comma Ai / Open Pilot system which i use on my truck for cross-country driving. very powerful system. it has a front facing camera to make sure you are looking ahead and detects if your seat belt is on or off. those are the 2 requirements. if it approaches a sharp curve, it will flash and beep to take over. Comma Ai also has much better AI and is able to figure out the lanes without having clear lane markers. It works with your blind spot monitor to make automatic lane changes + map based curve speed reduction. pretty advanced system. software is upgraded regular with improvements. Here is their ‘Drive to Taco Bell’ video which is a prototype software (not yet available) to enable full self driving to a gps location.

https://youtu.be/SUIZYzxtMQs?si=5PvOyxGfcPilpOHD

The company is started by George Hotz. Same guy who first jailbroke the iphone & PlayStation 3 years ago. Who used to work for Elon Musk (after he was arrested & sued by Sony). Then had a fallout, later he started his own company originally backed by Andressen (Netscape founder / Venture Capitalist).

I have one which stays full-time in my truck, and i just ordered another one after learning that it works on the LC unofficially using the Corolla driving model (cars are selectable within the device, which installs vehicle specific driving models accounting for height, weight and EPS strength). Pretty excited. will install next week to make the LC the Ultimate GT car.
Thank you for the thorough response. Part of the reason I ended up going with the LC500 (have one on order) over the Corvette C8 is ACC. LTA is just an added benefit for me. I've put 115k miles on a Tesla Model Y, and I probably have had autopilot engaged 90% of the time. Personally I don't mind intermittently touching the steering wheel; I kind of do it without even thinking. I will be using the LC500 as a GT car, so long weekend drives that will require some interstate driving.

Recently drove my mom's old Mercedes without ACC on I-81 for 5 hours. It was annoying not having ACC. So many slow left lane drivers I barely was able to use CC at all. Definitely one of those things once you have, it's hard to live without. It takes so much fatigue out of driving. I am also getting a motorcycle soon with it (BMW R1300GS). No lane keeping on the motorcycle though :P

The Comma Ai system is fascinating. I personally would not want the wart on my Lexus windshield, but I could definitely see adding it to a utility vehicle like a truck.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 07:14 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by FranknStein
Thank you for the thorough response. Part of the reason I ended up going with the LC500 (have one on order) over the Corvette C8 is ACC. LTA is just an added benefit for me. I've put 115k miles on a Tesla Model Y, and I probably have had autopilot engaged 90% of the time. Personally I don't mind intermittently touching the steering wheel; I kind of do it without even thinking. I will be using the LC500 as a GT car, so long weekend drives that will require some interstate driving.

Recently drove my mom's old Mercedes without ACC on I-81 for 5 hours. It was annoying not having ACC. So many slow left lane drivers I barely was able to use CC at all. Definitely one of those things once you have, it's hard to live without. It takes so much fatigue out of driving. I am also getting a motorcycle soon with it (BMW R1300GS). No lane keeping on the motorcycle though :P

The Comma Ai system is fascinating. I personally would not want the wart on my Lexus windshield, but I could definitely see adding it to a utility vehicle like a truck.
I have 1290 Super Adventure R + EXC-F 500 which I've turned into a light weight Adv. rig. Ever since the Multistrada brought this out, and now BMW, I am seriosly considering the R1300GS. But will wait until this November to see what KTM & Ducati does to up the BMW. Amazing times we are living in!
Old 01-27-24, 07:17 AM
asong1
Intermediate

This thread was originally intended for the 'hackers' who were using the water bottle (unsafe) method to disable 'Hands on the wheel' nagging via more accurately, weighted unit + not to have a jenky water bottle strapped to your steering wheel of this car that is a work of art. I think it's self explanatory and based on what I'm suggesting, you can either adopt or come up with your own improved methods that works best for you (please no dangerous water bottles).

I'm moving on with tinkering with the Comma Ai, whch eliminates all of this with much more advanced self-driving tech. If you're interested in taking the plunge with me to share & improve this, please chime in on this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post11657927
Old 01-27-24, 07:27 AM
FranknStein
Rookie

I have 1290 Super Adventure R + EXC-F 500 which I've turned into a light weight Adv. rig. Ever since the Multistrada brought this out, and now BMW, I am seriosly considering the R1300GS. But will wait until this November to see what KTM & Ducati does to up the BMW. Amazing times we are living in!
I have a R1250GS now, which is a spectacular machine. It does feel like BMW has the Multistrada V4S in its targets with the R1300GS. I thought about the Multistrada, but the poor fuel range and chain drive (vs. shaft on the BMW) has kept me in BMW's camp. In my own biased opinion, the R1300GS will be the best all around bike on the planet by a significant margin. We are very much spoiled for choice in the motorcycle market though. There aren't really any 'bad' choices.

I am also in VA btw. Maybe we can have an LC500 or motorbike meetup sometime.
Old 01-27-24, 07:28 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Where are you? I'm in Charlottesville (when I'm in VA).
Old 01-27-24, 07:29 AM
FranknStein
Rookie

Where are you? I'm in Charlottesville (when I'm in VA).
Lol, that's where I live.
Old 01-27-24, 09:12 AM
asong1
Intermediate

This could be very dangerous. We'll be very bad influence on one another with love for motorcycles and nice cars.
I told my girlfriend about you, and she already rolled her eyes at me
Old 01-27-24, 10:23 AM
FranknStein
Rookie

This could be very dangerous. We'll be very bad influence on one another with love for motorcycles and nice cars.
I told my girlfriend about you, and she already rolled her eyes at me
Ha! Sounds about right.
Old 01-29-24, 11:35 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I own an R1250R HP, and it's the best sport bike with a shaft there is IMO. I only ride for the twisties, so don't need a more touring/off-road oriented GS (with tele-lever, vs upside-down forks)... but it's a fantastic machine as well. I don't want to deal with chains anymore, so sold the MT-10, and I'm super happy with the R. It has every creature comfort you want (fully optioned), from TFT, cruise, keyless ride, center stand, cornering TCS/ABS, heated grips, electronic suspension adjustment, etc. The equivalent of the LC, I'd say. Hey guys, we might get reprimanded for veering off topic, so let's go back to that. Ha ha.

To close on topic, I've taken curves on my '23 G70 SP with lane centering engaged (no need to engage cruise on that car) at high speeds, and the thing drove thru them. I was nervous, obviously hovering the steering wheel with my hands a millimeter away from gripping the wheel, and my thumbs inserted at the spokes also a millimeter away from touching, and no intervention was needed. I'd obviously NEVER trust the car on a curve, even after the car did it fine, but was surprised the wheel could exert that much force. I was expecting it to let go suddenly, but it didn't. Finally, lane-keep assist and lane-centering assist are 2 different features, and it's nice to have both. It's also nice to have lane keep warning only, assist only, or both, for full versatility.

Last edited by JCtx; 01-29-24 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (01-29-24)
Old 01-29-24, 12:04 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Bimmer is the best all aorund bike hands down. Great choice.

Regarding the G70, Hyundai has one of the best driver assist systems out there. Some cars have both lane keep + lane centering. Some people do not want the system to fight back and tell you how to drive, but only want the lane keep for that slight nudge in case you are invading other lanes. Regarding the power of the steering wheel, it's not the wheel that's doing this. It's the electric motor attached to your steering rack (just to be clear on the terminology). If you think that's good, give Comma Ai a try. You won't go back. Looks like G70 2018 - 2023 is officially supported which means, end to end beta + stop n go. Dependng the year. Check it out. Have another thread for this topic.

Comma Ai / Genesis : https://www.comma.ai/vehicles#hyundai

The Comma Ai thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...-autonomy.html

Old 01-29-24, 01:17 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, of course it's the motor-driven rack, not the wheel itself (thought 'wheel' was obvious to most. Ha ha). The good thing about the RWD G70 with the SP package is it has a rack-mounted motor, vs the most common one, mounted on the steering column, inside the car. I assume the LC also has a rack-mounted motor, especially at that price point (better feel). Anyway, my point was although the motor obviously has the power to turn the wheels by itself, I thought it wouldn't steer by itself in the curves that hard, but it does. And yes, that car tracks perfectly straight, even better than the '21 Tesla with full self-driving autopilot I had.