LC Model (2018-present)

LC 500 - First Maintenance visit to the dealer (What do they cover)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 11:35 AM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

That exactly my point. I don’t think I will go for oil change to dealer anymore as recommended.
what I see so far is - if you want something to be done correctly, do it yourself!
Old 01-05-24, 04:16 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 334 Likes on 250 Posts

Also for the DIY the Toyota oil filter that fits our Lexus and cheaper than the Lexus filter is the

04152-YZZA4 be sure to order the crush washers.

The following users liked this post:
asong1 (01-05-24)
Old 01-05-24, 05:22 PM
LC500Dan
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by microsup
That exactly my point. I don’t think I will go for oil change to dealer anymore as recommended.
what I see so far is - if you want something to be done correctly, do it yourself!
Can I ask what city you are in in Kansas? What dealership are you taking it to?
Old 01-05-24, 07:27 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by fodalo
Also for the DIY the Toyota oil filter that fits our Lexus and cheaper than the Lexus filter is the

04152-YZZA4 be sure to order the crush washers.

Strange. Most of the other filters actually share the same product / SKU number and priced the same whether you buy it from a Lexus or a Toyota dealer. I wonder why this one is distinct? I guess to answer my own question, this SKU contains the smaller o ring and the cap drain plug. And it's cheaper? I'm confused... Reminds me of a video skit from SNL I appreciate it. I'll definitely look into it. Heck, since I have the LC filter here, I may just stop by the toyota dealer and pick this one up and compare them closely.

Old 01-05-24, 08:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^^This topic was discussed ad nauseam in the ISF forum almost 15 years ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-filter-2.html

and here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...il-filter.html

At that time I switched to the YZZA4 filter and later on switched to the WixXP filter based on this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ic-oil-14.html

I've been a member of this forum since 2008 There's lots of information here - you just have to look for it
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
asong1 (01-05-24), StuM (01-12-24)
Old 01-05-24, 09:12 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^This topic was discussed ad nauseam in the ISF forum almost 15 years ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-filter-2.html

and here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...il-filter.html

At that time I switched to the YZZA4 filter and later on switched to the WixXP filter based on this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ic-oil-14.html

I've been a member of this forum since 2008 There's lots of information here - you just have to look for it
Thanks. Learned a lot. I guess theoretically, a filter is a filter. Just as I've posted before on this thread, the official filter parts for both my GX and LC are colored almost orange. But the others are lighter cream colored. This got me thinking as I've learned a lot recently regarding the importance of using genuine parts with the correctly calibrated springs. If they two are the same size, but appears to be using slightly different materials (paper), is it possible that some vehicles, although uses same sized filters have different material requirements based on the difference in oil pressure each engine types produce? It stands to reason that as the oil flows, some vehicles with different oil pump may create different level of pressure. Is it possible that Toyota engineers have discovered that YZZA4 filters are not as effective on the LCs and therefore created a diffeent filter element with different material to accomodate the diffeence?

Otherwise if you look at the filter price diffence on the LC & GX, and both having the same coloring (orange-ish) and being very brittal, It leads me to believe that these filters were perhaps designed to work under higher oil pressure. Again, this is just a guess, but it isnt like Toyota to offer 2 different, identically functioning filters at a different price. If they are they same, it still doesn't explain why would anyone use the more expensive one. If they are known to charge you more for the same parts with 'Lexus' labeling, then I can understand this logic. But Toyota doesn't do this. I am having very difficult time believing that the cheaper filter is the same. Perhaps this is a question for a master-tech to explain to us.
Old 01-06-24, 09:43 AM
fodalo
Instructor

Keep it simple asong, called marketing under the same umbrella, lots of these scenarios within large mfg's. It helps them to stay competitive in the market they choose to serve.
asong1 (01-06-24)
Old 01-06-24, 09:45 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Keep it simple asong, called marketing under the same umbrella, lots of these scenarios within large mfg's. It helps them to stay competitive in the market they choose to serve.
Yup. For me, no need to analyze and worry about this. Will just stick to the mfg specified part number procured directly from the dealer. No biggie.
Old 01-06-24, 09:49 AM
fodalo
Instructor

Trust what you know.
Old 01-06-24, 09:49 AM
asong1
Intermediate

I am in the process of cataloging all of required parts for all the vehicles that I have. I did run into one question regarding the cabin filter for the LC. I see that there is a 'Premium' charcoal activated filter for the LS. Is there such part for LC? Has anyone installed one in their LC? If so, what part number did you use? I am not finding a charcoal one for the LC, except for 1 source online. Apparantly it's a Toyota 'Premium' cabin filter from Japan. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. I would prefer a toyota part.
fodalo (01-06-24)
Old 01-06-24, 09:55 AM
fodalo
Instructor

I find this site helpful https://www.lexuspartsnow.com
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/page_p...20air%20filter
Old 01-06-24, 09:59 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
Old 01-06-24, 10:47 PM
Fester
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
Full synthetic or not is a personal things and many have different opinions on this. It's largely due to the cost and the question of necessity given the oil change intervals. Some feel a synthetic blend is just as good, others don't. It's a personal thing. I for one only use full synthetic (mobile 1) after the full break-in period. It just makes me feel better, which means 'Marketing' is working on suckers like me
I have over 800 miles now. I’ll do the full synthetic oil change now and then every 6 months no matter what the mileage would be.
asong1 (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 05:26 PM
maraca
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been reflecting on this thread for a while. I cannot recall ANY live conversation or post on the internet that mentioned engine or other issues because someone did not change engine or transmission oil at 1000 miles. Or because someone use regular vs synthetic oil.
However, I do recall a lot of mentions and conversation regarding modern oils and how advanced they are compare to the oil used in the 70s.

To me, 6 years and 70k miles of included powertrain warranty as long as you follow manufacturer recommendations is enough to sleep well and not think too much about oil changes.

Since I dont plan to track my LC, I will use standard oil service at the dealership. It is cheap at my local Toyota shop ($65), and they use full synthetic Toyota oil, likely same one that is in the car now.
Old 01-07-24, 05:35 PM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by maraca

Since I dont plan to track my LC, I will use standard oil service at the dealership. It is cheap at my local Toyota shop ($65), and they use full synthetic Toyota oil, likely same one that is in the car now.
Our LC's come from the factory with conventical non synthetic oil.
I will follow the factory recommendations for changes and type.
These cars take over 9 quarts. If you can find any shop, Lexus or Toyota, that will do a change for $65 including filter with standard or synthetic, please share. My dealer quoted me $160.

asong1 (01-07-24)

Quick Reply: LC 500 - First Maintenance visit to the dealer (What do they cover)