LC Model (2018-present)

LC 500 - First Maintenance visit to the dealer (What do they cover)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 05:52 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tennman117
Our LC's come from the factory with conventical non synthetic oil.
I will follow the factory recommendations for changes and type.
These cars take over 9 quarts. If you can find any shop, Lexus or Toyota, that will do a change for $65 including filter with standard or synthetic, please share.
Unless you drive it like a Monkey, I don't see the harm following the factory recommendations. But for me, I take speial pride, and much enjoyment of baby-ing the car when it comes to maintenance. I follow the motorcycle / european high performance procedures. Porsche (at leaste the GT models) tends to follow the motorcycle procedure (1000km for first break-in oil change). Then encourages you to red-line it and drive it the way you want. For me, red-lining the engine isn't the issue. I just want to make sure that all of metal particles are captured as much as possible before it takes on more mileage. It's a very personal thing.

BTW, this is nothing compared to what some serious fanatics and car-worshippers do. I've even heard cases where people would change the oil at 600 miles, then go drive it for about 30 minutes, bring the car back to the shop and change the oil again. As if you are 'rinsing' the motor with oil just collect more metal particles and shavings in case your first oil change didn't flush everything out. And get this, on the second oil change, they don't drain the oil. They use a tube to suck it out.

Is there a merit to all this? May be, may be not. So when it comes to break in procedures and products you use, I think @fodalo said it best: "Stick to what you know". With these Takumi-Crafted motors, I really don't believe it makes any difference whether you take the extra expense / steps to satisfy your desires, or just sticking with manufacturer's general guidance if you believe you fall into the 'ideal driver / driving conditions' category. I have many nice vehicles, but this car is the most most beautiful to look at, sit in it and drive. Just know that you have an amazing vehicle, and it will serve you well using your own methods. Enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by asong1:
fodalo (01-10-24), maraca (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 06:10 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Our LC's come from the factory with conventical non synthetic oil.
I will follow the factory recommendations for changes and type.
These cars take over 9 quarts. If you can find any shop, Lexus or Toyota, that will do a change for $65 including filter with standard or synthetic, please share. My dealer quoted me $160.
I bought the dino oil from the Toyota dealer near by. Part# 00279-1QT5W-01. They were $8.08 / quart. Bought 10 = $80.80. I was told that there is no difference between Lexus or Toyota branded, and they are the same price. So your pricing is much much better! I am assuming they are using the same toyota oil. I don't understand why their price is so much cheaper. Did I get ripped off? Here is the oil 1 of 10 quarts I bought (I will do the first oil change myself), and take the 2 free ones from Toyota once at 5k miles and the again at 10k miles. From there on, I am switching to full synthetic. Here is a pic of what I bought (I hope I wasnt ripped off. had to buy the filter separately too).

Old 01-07-24, 07:04 PM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with to each his own.
But to think these motors will have any amount of metal particles at the first oil change, I find hard to believe. Has anyone done an oil analysis at the first change? I would have to see the results to agree.
Also, what is the point of doing a synthetic change every 6k? Way overkill in my opinion.
But again, to each his own.
Thanks to all for the comments.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 07:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
I bought the dino oil from the Toyota dealer near by. Part# 00279-1QT5W-01. They were $8.08 / quart. Bought 10 = $80.80. I was told that there is no difference between Lexus or Toyota branded, and they are the same price. So your pricing is much much better! I am assuming they are using the same toyota oil. I don't understand why their price is so much cheaper. Did I get ripped off? Here is the oil 1 of 10 quarts I bought (I will do the first oil change myself), and take the 2 free ones from Toyota once at 5k miles and the again at 10k miles. From there on, I am switching to full synthetic. Here is a pic of what I bought (I hope I wasnt ripped off. had to buy the filter separately too).
https://parts.elmhursttoyota.com/oem...art-2791qt5w01

Switching @15K miles hmm I'm stumped by your decision I've been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum since 4K miles. Would have changed it sooner, but I'm in Arizona and I bought my LC in Lincoln Nebraska and put 1.4K miles on it driving it home. Local dealer put in the first oil change @ 2.5K miles and I did the second with the Pennzoil.
asong1 (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 07:47 PM
asong1
Intermediate

I agree with to each his own.
But to think these motors will have any amount of metal particles at the first oil change, I find hard to believe. Has anyone done an oil analysis at the first change? I would have to see the results to agree.
Also, what is the point of doing a synthetic change every 6k? Way overkill in my opinion.
But again, to each his own.
Thanks to all for the comments.
This is a GX, break in oil change at 1000 miles. He is a Toyota Master-Tech. But he isn't he only one. It is a known fact that the largest amounts of shavings are produced during the first 1000 km. He also goes into his view of manufacturer's recommendations and what that is based on (ideal driver, ideal driving condiontions), which he doesn't believe that the majority of the people do not fit into. But at the end of the day, that's what the oil filter is for. Once it gets trapped, it gets trapped. So I don't believe as long as we drive our car mildly, not doing an oil change at 1000 miles will be too harmful. Again, even this point cannot be proven as it is impossible to prove or disprove. No one will return here 200K or 300K miles later to say, ah ha! I told you! This is why I always qualify this: Engine break-in procure, method is a highly personal thing. It's about what we believe personally, and how it makes us feel.

And since you've never seen what meal shavings / particles look like during the first oil change, take a look at this. He is a master tech performing 1k miles break in oil change for his personal (wife's) vehicle - 23 GX 460. I have the same car/year, but also with the off-road package and white interior. You can watch the whole thing (great insights), or just fast forward to 26:50

Last edited by asong1; 01-07-24 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-07-24, 07:51 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
https://parts.elmhursttoyota.com/oem...art-2791qt5w01

Switching @15K miles hmm I'm stumped by your decision I've been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum since 4K miles. Would have changed it sooner, but I'm in Arizona and I bought my LC in Lincoln Nebraska and put 1.4K miles on it driving it home. Local dealer put in the first oil change @ 2.5K miles and I did the second with the Pennzoil.
I don't know. I toss & turn about this myself. I may just switch at 5k . You know that myth regardng the synthetic oils and how it takes longer for the ring to fully seat? That was the basis here for a car which I'm not going to be giving it the 'Italian tune up' everyday (unlike my Porsche which I frequently ring out). I just love driving the LC at moderate RPMS. The ride quality, sound, etc..., It's the ultimate cruiser.

And regarding that link you provided. Wow.. I just got ripped off!

Last edited by asong1; 01-07-24 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-07-24, 11:31 PM
Fester
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

To answer your original question, this is what they cover, see attached pic:

I am booking my appointment but will pay for oil change that I’m bringing. Just bought

Mobil Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, 5 Quart

from amazon, this is the best deal there with 5 star reviews …
asong1 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 04:45 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Fester
T
I am booking my appointment but will pay for oil change that I’m bringing. Just bought

Make sure you bring two of those 5-quart jugs.
Old 01-08-24, 04:46 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fester
To answer your original question, this is what they cover, see attached pic:

Was this in the manual?
Old 01-08-24, 10:03 AM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 249 Posts

I change my oil DIY, 9 qts is exactly what it took with filter. 9 qts Lexus 5w-30 conventional oil @ 5.99ea, .50 for crush washer 6.00 toyota filter, 61.00 total.
Peace of mind and no overfill, Priceless.
asong1 (01-08-24)
Old 01-09-24, 06:47 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

These cars take over 9 quarts. If you can find any shop, Lexus or Toyota, that will do a change for $65 including filter with standard or synthetic, please share. My dealer quoted me $160.
Got this little jewel in the mail this week. We'll see if actually saves me anything. I'll already have to buy 6 more quarts.

​​​​​​Bruce in Fl
asong1 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 07:08 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

is Lexus oil same as Toyota oil?
asong1 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 07:10 AM
asong1
Intermediate

One thing I've learned over the years of my driving and wheel alignment is that I always kick myself for not purchasing the life-time vehicle alignment deals. I don't typically change out cars often, and most of them I keep for 100k miles+. So that comes to 2-3 tires changes (plus alignments), and sometimes the alignment just goes off for no reason. For this reason, I always install my first tire change at Firestone + take the lifetime of the vehicle, unlimited alignment package. I've done this with 2 vehicles so far, and one of the cars, it's already paid for itself at 50k miles (big truck w/ 40 inch tires). This is a 22 truck. I've lived in and slept in this trucks for weeks at a time for the last 2 years traveling everywhere / overlanding. Even for the tire rotations, I always take to them and have the check the alignment, and if off, they take care of it at no charge. If you guys / gals didn't know about this, I'd highly recommend it. Definitely doing this for the LC as well. Great deal.

Last edited by asong1; 01-09-24 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-09-24, 07:31 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

I think I just solved the conventional oil in the LC why.
Got it from a YT vid about not just Warning Up your bike in the winter. So I checked. Indeed.
Lexus smartly figured LC owners would change their oil Mostly on time but also not put that many miles on them. Many being put up for the Winter.
Synthetic oil retains moisture faster than dino oil.
I'll bet that's why they use Dino.
Bruce in Fl
​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by BruceinFla:
asong1 (01-09-24), fodalo (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 07:40 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Barncobob
is Lexus oil same as Toyota oil?
Same. Confirmed by the dealer(s). I've asked both Lexus & Toyota dealership's parts folks. They both confirmed they are identical. Also, Car Care Nut (ex-toyota master tech) on youtube mentioned that they are made by Mobile 1.

Quick Reply: LC 500 - First Maintenance visit to the dealer (What do they cover)