LC Model (2018-present)

LC 500 - First Maintenance visit to the dealer (What do they cover)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 07:41 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 876 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
One thing I've learned over the years of my driving and wheel alignment is that I always kick myself for not purchasing the life-time vehicle alignment deals. I don't typically change out cars often, and most of them I keep for 100k miles+. So that comes to 2-3 tires changes (plus alignments), and sometimes the alignment just goes off for no reason. For this reason, I always install my first tire change at Firestone + take the lifetime of the vehicle, unlimited alignment package. I've done this with 2 vehicles so far, and one of the cars, it's already paid for itself at 50k miles (big truck w/ 40 inch tires). This is a 22 truck. I've lived in and slept in this trucks for weeks at a time for the last 2 years traveling everywhere / overlanding. Even for the tire rotations, I always take to them and have the check the alignment, and if off, they take care of it at no charge. If you guys / gals didn't know about this, I'd highly recommend it. Definitely doing this for the LC as well. Great deal.
Take my LC to Firestone? No thanks.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 07:42 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceinFla
I think I just solved the conventional oil in the LC why.
Got it from a YT vid about not just Warning Up your bike in the winter. So I checked. Indeed.
Lexus smartly figured LC owners would change their oil Mostly on time but also not put that many miles on them. Many being put up for the Winter.
Synthetic oil retains moisture faster than dino oil.
I'll bet that's why they use Dino.
Bruce in Fl
​​​​​​
This is a good video to learn about the differences. I like the idea of random smaller particles in the dino oil. Makes me believe that it's better if any for the break-in period, as long as you change the oil between 3-5k miles.

Old 01-09-24, 07:48 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tecman
I hear you! I don't let them work on everything, just the alignment and tire rotations. What can possibly go wrong where the lexus tech would /wouldn't do same? I also had the same concern as you in 1 area. How to make sure that they don't bang up my beautiful rims during the tire swap. I've debated this for a while, but I just don't have a solution for this... Only other option I can think of is to change the tires yourself, but I don't want to put up a tire changer in my garage. And the dealers will charge $$$$$ for the tires. Fitting the tires and aligning the wheels at 2 differnt places is cumbersom. Stumped on this one, but believe me, I do share your concerns.
Old 01-09-24, 08:35 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Getting ready for the first 1000km / 600 miles break-in oil change. Raining outside, so i need to wait until i can swap these 2 cars for the inaugural oil change experience 😂

Old 01-09-24, 08:52 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 335 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
That's what I said when my boss told me he takes his 911 to Firestone for alignments lol. Apparently, it's the only rack that his car can fit on (they use special 2x4 ramps for him).
asong1 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 09:00 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
That's what I said when my boss told me he takes his 911 to Firestone for alignments lol. Apparently, it's the only rack that his car can fit on (they use special 2x4 ramps for him).
For the expensive low mileage vehicles, I would be extra careful ($150K and up). But I'd have to ask. Do they bolt something harsh onto the wheels during the alignment process that can potentially scratch the rims? That would be my only concern.

I thought most of them just remove the wheels and adjust the tie rods..

Last edited by asong1; 01-09-24 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-09-24, 10:05 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Got this little jewel in the mail this week. We'll see if actually saves me anything. I'll already have to buy 6 more quarts.

​​​​​​Bruce in Fl
It will most likely be more than double that once they add the needed 4 additional quarts plus tax and shop fees.
My dealer wants $160 plus. Sometimes they will send me a coupon for $10 to $20 off of an oil change.
Let us know if you use it and what the final cost was.
Old 01-09-24, 12:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Synthetic oil retains moisture faster than dino oil.​​​​​​
Yep, it does, but when the oil reaches operating temperature that moisture will boil off. So, IMHO it's a non-issue
Old 01-09-24, 12:38 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
how about Wallymart auto, their techs are highly trained:{
Old 01-09-24, 12:54 PM
maraca
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Kirkland Signature 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5-quart, 4-pack | Costco - $79.99; looks like a good deal. Is the oil itself any good?
They also have Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30; 6 quarts for $33.

asong1 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 02:06 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
Yep, it does, but when the oil reaches operating temperature that moisture will boil off. So, IMHO it's a non-issue
My point is, again, compared to the average daily driver, LCs spend more days in the garage and hooked up to battery tenders for the winter. It IS an issue for Those cars. I think Lexus Knew that with their regular dino oil choice.
The point of the bike vid was that starting and running the bike for 5-10 minutes Doesn't get the oil hot enough to get All the moisture out of it.
Bruce in Fl
Old 01-09-24, 02:08 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Originally Posted by maraca
Kirkland Signature 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5-quart, 4-pack | Costco - $79.99; looks like a good deal. Is the oil itself any good?
They also have Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30; 6 quarts for $33.
If you are going synthetic, Mobil 1 is hard to beat.
Bruce in Fl
Old 01-09-24, 03:45 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maraca

Not certain if they are good or bad in terms of the additives. All things (maybe) being equal with full synthetics, what sets each of them apart is the additives right?

According to ChatGPT, a company called "Warren Distribution Inc." manufactures and distributes them to Walmart, Costco & Amazon (Amazon Basics Synthetic Oil).
Only thing that is unknown is, does this company actually manufacture these from the ground up, or do they just buy them in bulk from other oil companies and add their own mix of addtives? Mixing and bottling is still considered 'Manufacturing'.

I'll stick with Mobil 1, Shell, Valvoline until I have full details of their 'manufacturing' supply chain.
Old 01-09-24, 04:18 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

A few years ago I was into Long Distance Endurance motorcycle riding. Strange as it may sound Synthetic Shell Rotella Diesel oil actually tested
out as good as Mobil 1 and it was A Lot cheaper. Bruce in Fl
Old 01-09-24, 04:21 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

I love oil threads
asong1 (01-09-24)

Quick Reply: LC 500 - First Maintenance visit to the dealer (What do they cover)