LC Model (2018-present)

LC 500 - First Maintenance visit to the dealer (What do they cover)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 09:59 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts
Default LC 500 - First Maintenance visit to the dealer (What do they cover)

I have veen very slowly driving my LC on Normal mode, and making sure to stay under 4,000 RPM. I know that LC's manual doesn't state anything regarding the break-in oil change, but I do this with all of my cars. I drive the car easily (with plenty of engine warm up) for the first 1,000 / 1,500 miles, and change out the oil and filter just to be sure there aren't any sludge build up or even metal particles in the oil from the new engine. I understand that modern engines have much tighter cylinder / wall tolerance and this isn't really needed, but it makes me feel good..

I was wondering whether to do the first oil change myself , or take it to the dealer. The question is: Does the delaer do anything for the first maintenance visit other than oil / filter change + fluids topped off? Is there some break-in inspection procedures / diagnostics the dealers go through for the engine and transmission? This is truly my forever car. There will be others, but I really am planning to keep this forever until it dies, so I want to make sure that I am doing everything right during this important period without cheaping out. I am debating if I should just do the first break in change myself, and then claim the 2 free changes dealers offer, or just take it in now if there is some special break-in check up they do.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-24, 10:08 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

The first 1k is just an inspection. Basically just a quick look over.
It does not include an oil change and counts towards the first 2 free services.
Just had my 5k done, no charge. The 10k and all others going forward will be on your dime.
Old 01-02-24, 10:25 AM
asong1
Intermediate

If they count this as one of free visit and no oil change, then I guess it'll be better for me to change the oil myself.

So regarding the first official oil change from the deaer: At what minimum mileage do they change the oil? Did they change your oil at 5k miles?

For me, I feel first early break-in oil change is the most important part. After that, I change every 5k miles on all of my high-end vehicles. Other cars, I let it go to 10K miles using full synthetic. If they allow, I am planning on doing the first one on my dime at a local mechanic without resetting any of the oil change parameters. Then let the dealer change my oil at 6K, and then again at 11K. From there on, just change at every 5k intervals myself.

Last edited by asong1; 01-02-24 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-02-24, 10:28 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by asong1
If they count this as one of free visit and no oil change, then I guess it'll be better for me to change the oil myself.

So regarding the first official oil change from the deaer: At what minimum mileage do they change the oil? Did they change your oil at 5k miles?
I did my 5k service at 4.8k which included the oil and filter change.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 10:31 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tennman117
I did my 5k service at 4.8k which included the oil and filter change.
Thanks for that clarification. I'll do the 1K on my own, then take it to the dealer at 6k and then at 11k.
Good to know!
Old 01-02-24, 12:06 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

^^^^Well, I wouldn't and I didn't wait on my first change. If you are planing on using full synthetic oil, the dealer most likely is using dino oil. IMO, get the first free oil change out of the way, then for future changes use your own choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
asong1 (01-02-24), RCF93til (01-04-24)
Old 01-02-24, 01:41 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^Well, I wouldn't and I didn't wait on my first change. If you are planing on using full synthetic oil, the dealer most likely is using dino oil. IMO, get the first free oil change out of the way, then for future changes use your own choice.
That's a great point. If they are putting in Dino oil, chances are, my new LC came from the factory with dino oil. It can't be all that bad. I am in the camp of dino / mineral oils are better for break-ins. I'll go ahead and switch to dino oil for my first change, and up to 10k miles, and will change back to synthetic after that. Another possible route is to leverage the dealer services, but hand the my own oil & filter.
Old 01-02-24, 03:12 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

The first 1k is just an inspection. Basically just a quick look over.
It does not include an oil change and counts towards the first 2 free services.
Just had my 5k done, no charge. The 10k and all others going forward will be on your dime.
Good to know. I thought oil was changed at 1k👍🏽
Old 01-02-24, 03:54 PM
asong1
Intermediate

It's our most beautiful baby. I have much more expensive cars, but nothing is as beautiful as the LC, and makes me feel like a million bucks when I sit in it. We need to take good care of it, and it'll take good care of us forever. It'll difinitely out-last most of us
AutoCrazy (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 08:09 PM
asong1
Intermediate

No matter what the manual tells you, this is why everyone should considering doing a break-in oil change. I am very 'religious' about this for all my cars & motorcyles.
Towars the end, you can see the metal shavings after only 1000 miles. Fun fact, all of the motorcycles require a break in oil change service at 600 miles (1000 KM). Many motorcyle brands will void your warranty if something goes wrong and if you are unable to prove that you've done the break-in service.

See marker 26:50

It surprises me that Lexus will not change the oil for you at 1k mile first visit.
Old 01-02-24, 08:47 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

I too changed mine at 1000km, then again at 5000kms (just the oil not the filter). Gonna do the next one at 10,000kms
asong1 (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 10:12 AM
asong1
Intermediate

I am at 570 miles now as of this morning. Taking the motorcycle route and will do the first change mysel at 600 miles. Then take it into the dealership at 5,000. Ordered everything I need except for the dino-oil which I will pick up today at the Toyota dealership. After the first oil change, I'll put it into Sport+ manual and take it up to 5,000 RPM. Will redline it after the second oil change at the dealership at 10k miles. This is just a personal method of breaking in the engine for performance and trouble-free longivity. My bespoke edition does appear to have an oil cooler installed so should be fine.

Finally switch to full synthetic at 15K miles.
Old 01-03-24, 10:42 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Holy crap! 9.1 quarts of oil for the LC?
Old 01-03-24, 12:05 PM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by asong1
I am at 570 miles now as of this morning. Taking the motorcycle route and will do the first change mysel at 600 miles. Then take it into the dealership at 5,000. Ordered everything I need except for the dino-oil which I will pick up today at the Toyota dealership. After the first oil change, I'll put it into Sport+ manual and take it up to 5,000 RPM. Will redline it after the second oil change at the dealership at 10k miles. This is just a personal method of breaking in the engine for performance and trouble-free longivity. My bespoke edition does appear to have an oil cooler installed so should be fine.

Finally switch to full synthetic at 15K miles.
If you are waiting until 10k to redline you are missing out on a lot of fun driving.
These cars are not built to be babied.
The following 2 users liked this post by tennman117:
Fester (01-06-24), sajack (01-05-24)
Old 01-03-24, 12:07 PM
asong1
Intermediate

If you are waiting until 10k to redline you are missing out on a lot of fun driving.
These cars are not built to be babied.
I know... As painful as it may be, I must do this... Will be the saddest 10k ever!

Quick Reply: LC 500 - First Maintenance visit to the dealer (What do they cover)