2024 LC 500 Coupe Inspiration Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 08:50 AM
wjmah523
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2024 LC 500 Coupe Inspiration Series

Hey Folks,

Brand new to Club Lexus, brand new to LEXUS as well. I was fortunate that my local Lexus dealer offered me a 2024 LC 500 Coupe Inspiration Series at MSRP, this will be, or might be my first ever Lexus in my 40 years of living.

I've always had my eyes on the LC for a few years now, love the look and sound. Not sure if this will be a wise investment. Two of my buddy said not to do it because it won't hold value. I have a few cars, so I know I won't be driving the LC much, probably 2000 miles annually. Looking for some feedback here on below concerns. Thanks in advance for sharing your inputs and thoughts.

1. Is MSRP a fair deal for the LC 500? I see some 24 models are selling few grands under MSRP as advertised.
2. Is residual value so so on the LC 500?
3. Inspiration Series, is this really limited? Curious because I was offered for not being an existing Lexus customer.
4. No true answer to this, just opinion, will this 24 LC 500 be a future collectors car?

Lady boss at home, does limit my investment. As we have a Cybertruck Foundation on the way, a Land Cruiser on the way, and Lotus Emira on the way.

Old 01-03-24, 09:26 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 620 Likes on 398 Posts

Lexus vehicles are not investments.

The LCs are in fact holding their value very well--especially low-mileage models.

What other car can you even buy new under $100k that will be better and more comfortable?

MSRP is a good deal.....period.
The following 2 users liked this post by 355F1:
fodalo (01-10-24), wjmah523 (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 09:32 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts

I can't answer your questions, but, get the LC.
The following 2 users liked this post by KennyFSU:
Beachtyme (01-08-24), wjmah523 (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 10:06 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by wjmah523
Hey Folks,

Brand new to Club Lexus, brand new to LEXUS as well. I was fortunate that my local Lexus dealer offered me a 2024 LC 500 Coupe Inspiration Series at MSRP, this will be, or might be my first ever Lexus in my 40 years of living.

I've always had my eyes on the LC for a few years now, love the look and sound. Not sure if this will be a wise investment. Two of my buddy said not to do it because it won't hold value. I have a few cars, so I know I won't be driving the LC much, probably 2000 miles annually. Looking for some feedback here on below concerns. Thanks in advance for sharing your inputs and thoughts.

1. Is MSRP a fair deal for the LC 500? I see some 24 models are selling few grands under MSRP as advertised.
3. Inspiration Series, is this really limited? Curious because I was offered for not being an existing Lexus customer.
4. No true answer to this, just opinion, will this 24 LC 500 be a future collectors car?

Lady boss at home, does limit my investment. As we have a Cybertruck Foundation on the way, a Land Cruiser on the way, and Lotus Emira on the way.
For a limited production Inspiration series? I'd say hell yeah and jump on it. I seriously doubt that any dealer would let that go under MSRP. But this is a huge commitment from interior perspective. 24 Inspiration series have all blue interior. You may end up checking yourself into an insane asylum after few months

I had a first right of refusal for an inspiration series myself, but after getting inside, and seeing the interior, I just couldn't do it. So I ordered a besoke edition convertible instead with white & blue interior. Comes with everything loaded except for that crazy all blue interior & the canards and the wing in the back. It's a matter of a personal choice. Bespoke edition also gives you the Limited Slip. Just not sure about the different engine & diff tuning which is supposed to be different in the Inspiration. Whether these tweaks are there or not for the Bespoke, all I know is, my bespoke edtion is amazing exactly the way it is for a GT car.

Regarding if this is an investment or not, the only inspiration series that would have been an amazing investment is the 21 year model with 'Structural Blue' which are selling or $300K + now. As for the matt white paint, not sure if it will drive the same amount of demand.

It's a tough call, but I will tell you this. No other cars I have makes me feel like a million bucks when I drive it. It's a thing of beauty. If you can convince your wife to let you buy one, you really can't go wrong with any LCs (except all blue interior )

Last edited by asong1; 01-03-24 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wjmah523 (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 10:20 AM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Received 179 Likes on 103 Posts

wjmah523, welcome! And maybe to LC ownership.

I’ve shared my responses/opinions embedded in your text.

Hey Folks,

MSRP is a fair deal for a ‘24 Inspiration series.

Don’t know residual values on a LC500 since I purchased.
Your dealer should be able to share the residual values for a leasing a ‘24 LC500.

Previous years have had Inspiration Series. They are, and have previously been, limited production builds with particular configurations.
2024 has 125 total Inspiration Series for the NA market. 10 are assigned to Canada, so 115 total for the USA.

Here’s the Canadian media link describing the vehicle.
https://media.lexus.ca/en/releases/2...on-series.html

My “collectors car” definition will differ from other owners, but my definition could include the following characteristics/qualities:
-person chooses to keep a vehicle long term because it was their first car and they want to cherish that memory;
-person grew up wishing to own a particular vehicle, and finally the opportunity presented itself so they purchased their ‘dream vehicle(s)’ to keep long term;
-person loves vehicles and has the means to own what ever they wish so they purchase and keep vehicles that they treasure;

-person purchases a particular vehicle(s) because they believe they can sell at a later date for more than they paid;
-person chooses to purchase a vehicle because of it’s very desirable and unique characteristics;

and so on…

For me, the LC500 (vert in my case) is a beautiful looking and driving GT car that checks all of my present day emotional driving ‘wants’. I see it as a “special” car.
I do not see the LC500/Inspiration Series as an investment to make money. At best, the vehicle depreciation curve may be a little less for the LC500 over 5-10 years compared to the auto industry mean for depreciation.

The vast majority of cars are depreciating assets. The LC500 is a depreciating asset unlike a modern day Ford GT, or a 2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package.

And the more you drive the LC500, the more the vehicle value depreciates.

So, remember that you “love the look and the sound” of the LC500. It is an expense that you are paying for your driving enjoyment. I don’t believe it will make you money.

Last edited by AutoCrazy; 01-03-24 at 10:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AutoCrazy:
asong1 (01-03-24), LC500Dan (01-03-24), wjmah523 (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 04:00 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

1. In the end, MSRP or a few thousand less won't matter. Depending on timing, you'll either lose ~$30K when you sell it or be close enough to break even to not care. If it's more important to you to not pay retail than it is to get exactly what you want via a bespoke build, search nationally. There's a lot of Lexus dealers sitting on 2023 LCs that they haven't been able to sell. These cars are expensive and RWD doesn't work well in states where snow is an issue. Look there first.

2. I bought my '21 LC500 convertible for full retail ($112K), drove it 7K miles and traded it in on a '24 LC500 convertible bespoke for full retail ($118K). My Lexus dealer gave me $78.5K for my '21. They priced it initially at $89K and dropped the price weekly until it sold in the low $80's. This is Denver in November/December, so the winter weather was an issue. The problem with buying a new LC500 right now is that any buyer will be able to buy a new one, exactly as they want it, from Lexus, for at least 3-4 more years. So if you expect to keep the car for just a few years, I wouldn't expect the value to hold up very well because you're competing against new cars coming directly from Lexus.

3. The Inspiration Edition is simply a color / options package. Except for the Structural Blue cars, the color is available in other years. The interior / exterior options are sometimes not available in other years. But there are no performance upgrades or other items to make the car unique in any meaningful way. Even the Structural Blue cars are starting to crash in value now that the 2024 Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 cars can be spec'd to be nearly identical -- blue exterior, white interior, blue top -- with all the model upgrades over the earlier years.

4. Matt Farah
said it best: "the big winner is gonna be the person who buys one of these new, drives it a bunch, loves it and keeps it all the way through its collectors cycle, depreciated, appreciated and invested in. The person that does that, that's the big winner. Because they're going to have a car that costs nothing to maintain, that's beautiful to drive, that's going to be so rare, that's going to look great for the next 20 years and will eventually be thoroughly appreciated by collectors".

It's wrong to think of the LC500 as the Japanese version of some hyper-rare ultra-performance German or American car that is impossible to get at first and only goes up in value from there. Toyota's own internal tracking shows over 400 LC convertibles and 50 coupes at some stage of the delivery pipeline (from allocated to shipped). CarGurus shows 306 new ones currently for sale. Pick one you like, anywhere in the country, and haggle them down as much as you can. Or if you're really picky, find a dealer to do a bespoke build for you (a lot harder than you'd expect).

If you want to drive one before you buy -- it's no rush, honestly -- you could always try the Lexus Performance Driving School. The LC is an excellent car but it's definitely not a pure sportscar. As long as you know that going in and won't be disappointed, come on in, the water is fine :-D
The following 3 users liked this post by jbuffett:
AutoCrazy (01-03-24), Barncobob (01-05-24), wjmah523 (01-04-24)
Old 01-06-24, 10:22 PM
Nesszors
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoa congrats on getting the opportunity to purchase one! My local dealerships only have convertibles. I've had no luck finding an inspiration series coupe. May I ask... if you decide not to purchase the car, could you please forward the dealership info to me? I'd love to buy a coupe version of the inspiration series for this year. Cheers!
Old 01-06-24, 10:37 PM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nesszors
Whoa congrats on getting the opportunity to purchase one! My local dealerships only have convertibles. I've had no luck finding an inspiration series coupe. May I ask... if you decide not to purchase the car, could you please forward the dealership info to me? I'd love to buy a coupe version of the inspiration series for this year. Cheers!
Good idea, Nesszors. Might be the only way you get access to one of the 115 USA vehicles.

I have a refundable deposit with my Canadian dealership for an Inspiration Series coupe. The dealership told me that the 10 allocated Canadian vehicles - I don’t know how many will be coupes - are being distributed via a lottery. My chances of getting an allocation are pretty slim.
Nesszors (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 02:28 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

There are two Inspiration Edition coupes currently showing on Toyota's allocation list:

California with a $25K mark-up - https://www.longolexus.com/new-El+Mo...CP5AY2RA109527

Maine with a $10K mark-up - https://www.berlincitylexus.com/inve...p5ay3ra109147/
Nesszors (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 02:21 PM
Nesszors
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jbuffett
There are two Inspiration Edition coupes currently showing on Toyota's allocation list:

California with a $25K mark-up - https://www.longolexus.com/new-El+Mo...CP5AY2RA109527

Maine with a $10K mark-up - https://www.berlincitylexus.com/inve...p5ay3ra109147/

Thank you! Can confirm. I reached out to the Maine dealership and yes indeed there is a $10k markup. I appreciate the information. How were you able to find the allocation list?
Old 01-07-24, 04:37 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Thank you! Can confirm. I reached out to the Maine dealership and yes indeed there is a $10k markup. I appreciate the information. How were you able to find the allocation list?
It's a spreadsheet that has been shared here before: Toyota Allocation Sheet
Nesszors (01-07-24)
Old 01-08-24, 11:44 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

This is the current info per the Allocation Sheet.. Seems MIAMI has the best deal for $2K under sticker.

Last edited by finny76; 01-08-24 at 11:48 AM.
Nesszors (01-09-24)
Old 01-08-24, 11:49 AM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by finny76
This is the current info per tracker.. Seems MIAMI has the best deal for $2K under sticker.

Under MSRP? Wow, nice!

If a forum member does buy, please let us know.

I definitely want to read your impressions.

finny76 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 11:51 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoCrazy
Under MSRP? Wow, nice!

If a forum member does buy, please let us know.
I definitely want to read your impressions.
I'm unsure about the accuracy of the information or its source, but I'm willing to contact the dealer to verify.

Last edited by finny76; 01-08-24 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-08-24, 01:34 PM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by finny76
I'm unsure about the accuracy of the information or its source, but I'm willing to contact the dealer to verify.
No need to contact on my behalf; I’m in Canada.

But would be interested to hear impressions from an owner.
finny76 (01-08-24)

Quick Reply: 2024 LC 500 Coupe Inspiration Series