LC Model (2018-present)

Active Noise Cancellation & Engine Sound Enhancement on LC!!!??? What the...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-24, 02:55 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by fodalo
Lots of info here Thx asong1. Going to chk things in the spring.
It's my pleasure. Hopefully we'll solve this undocumented mystery soon. Appreciate your help.
Old 01-14-24, 05:40 PM
redrocktom
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
I don't own one yet, but probably will. Didn't quite like 24's, so for the first time, will consider a pristine used '23 (or even '22) coupe, with hardly any miles...but the challenge will be finding a 'touring' one, which seem like unicorns. Ha ha. Car is not perfect (none is), but it's the best overall for my needs. I considered the F-Type P450 RWD coupe, and C8 coupe 3LT with MRC. Anyway, when test-driving the LC, I just couldn't confirm one test, unfortunately, but maybe one of you could confirm it: How noisy is the cabin at 80 mph in normal mode. I could only take it to maybe 50, since it was rush hour in Austin. And it seemed definitely quieter than the P450, but about the same as the C8, surprisingly, since my previous 2 of the last 2 generations were super noisy (the new one is like day and night different in every regard). On a twisty road, I could confirm the handling is acceptable, something I didn't expect from a 4,300-lb behemoth. Ha ha. ML is on par with the other top stereo options, and the cabin noise probably one of the best, if not the best. And the paddles respond almost as quick as the C8's DCT, so perfectly acceptable. The P450 paddles are borderline acceptable, so I guess it doesn't have the latest ZF tranny, like new BMW M cars have, unfortunately. But I didn't find the sport seat lower bolsters comfortable, so it absolutely has to be a touring version. And don't want any gimmicks, so very happy the touring package doesn't have RWS or VGRS. I'd like the Torsen/Yamaha damper though, as well as HUD (ML, alcantara headliner, and semi-aniline front seats are included with touring). Will keep you guys posted.
I have a 2024 and really like the touch screen. But my favorite addition for the '24 are the front and surround cameras. With the long hood, I have no idea where the nose is, and the front camera has saved me many times from damaging the front. I would not do without it.
Old 01-14-24, 06:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

^^^^I agree, I have the BeatSonic front camera, and as you post, it really is essential on this car Don't have one on my truck, nor do I need one
Old 02-27-24, 07:09 AM
marycwhalen
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently bought my 2022 LC and I'm trying to turn off the Active Noise Cancellation because it causes a weird pressure sensation in my head much like when I try and use noise cancelling headphones. I downloaded the Carista app and also bought the OBDLink MX+. I'm not showing the "Chassis & Engine" as one of my options to customize. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-27-24, 08:20 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 876 Likes on 608 Posts

I also purchased the OBDLink MX+ and don't have the chassis & engine option with Carista for my 2021.
Old 02-27-24, 08:59 AM
marycwhalen
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I also purchased the OBDLink MX+ and don't have the chassis & engine option with Carista for my 2021.
I was just reading your post about it not showing up for you either. I'm wondering if asong1 is correct about the option only being available starting with the 2024 model. I took my car to Lexus to ask them about it and they told me that it is all built into the sound system and there is no way to disable it.
Old 02-27-24, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

not sure pre '24s have any sound cancelation.
Old 02-27-24, 03:11 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Haven't seen this posted yet, but it's in the '24 LC brochure:

https://www.lexus.com/content/dam/le...C-Brochure.pdf

E N H A N CE D A C T I V E N O I S E CO N T R O L
In addition to the convertible’s lightweight, four-layer top construction that minimizes creasing and road noise, Active Noise Control can sense ambient noise within the cabin and counter it. Furthermore, for the available Mark Levinson®6 Reference Surround Sound, Mark Levinson and Lexus engineers worked hand in hand to produce a custom soundscape for the convertible’s unique acoustics. They painstakingly optimized the interior listening environment, crafting a surround sound audio system that adjusts for the additional wind and road noise when the top is retracted.
Old 02-29-24, 05:53 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure pre '24s have any sound cancelation.
24 models definitely have noise cancellation and fake engine noise. Confirmed on both the Carista app + my scanner. According other sources, noise cancellation may only be a convertible thing... From what I was told, the noise cancellation only activates when the top is closed and all windows are closed. I can't speak for the coupes.

It seems to be a pattern that non-24 models are not seeing the option to turn this off. On the 24 Convertible Models, you can definitley enable and disable noise cancellation and the fake engine / intake sound via scanner / programmer or Carista app. Hence the long post at the beginning of this thread trying to figure out what this fake noise is limited too. Is it only the fake engine noise in the speakers, or is it possible that the intake is valved somehow in order to make the cabin quiter for those who want a quieter ride. Perhaps this was a complaint among LC drivers and Toyota finally caved and provided an option to turn it off instead of it being on all the time?
Old 02-29-24, 10:15 PM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
24 models definitely have noise cancellation and fake engine noise. Confirmed on both the Carista app + my scanner. According other sources, noise cancellation may only be a convertible thing... From what I was told, the noise cancellation only activates when the top is closed and all windows are closed. I can't speak for the coupes.

It seems to be a pattern that non-24 models are not seeing the option to turn this off. On the 24 Convertible Models, you can definitley enable and disable noise cancellation and the fake engine / intake sound via scanner / programmer or Carista app. Hence the long post at the beginning of this thread trying to figure out what this fake noise is limited too. Is it only the fake engine noise in the speakers, or is it possible that the intake is valved somehow in order to make the cabin quiter for those who want a quieter ride. Perhaps this was a complaint among LC drivers and Toyota finally caved and provided an option to turn it off instead of it being on all the time?
You seem to be a discerning type (as am I), how is the psg side convertible top fitment on yours?
Old 07-23-24, 05:23 PM
Pintalgado
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG have you people lost your minds? The LC 500 does NOT generate any "fake" intake or exhaust sounds. Intake sound is ported to the cabin via a sound tube connected to the air box and the firewall. When you step on the accelerator the airflow through the airbox increases along with the sound volume so obviously the volume in the cabin increases accordingly. The exhaust is valved to allow more direct flow through the muffler during startup and performance drive modes. Lexus spent 5 years tuning the exhaust and intake so as to not require the use of any sound simulation, therefore there is none. I have the Carista app and a 2024 LC 500 w rear wheel steering, there is a diagnostic function only for Active Noise Control and no setting or diagnostic functions for ESE.
Furthermore, the rear wheel steering does not produce "fake" handling, a car either handles or it does not, you can't fake handling like you can simulate engine sound. Audi, BMW, Porche, Mercedes AMG, Ferrari and Lamborghini all produce performance variants with rear wheel steering.

Last edited by Pintalgado; 07-23-24 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Clarity