LC Model (2018-present)

Odd noise from engine - dealer says its normal from mechanical fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-24, 02:45 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by melymel96
That is what the dealer said when I took in the second time. He said they would just keep chasing the issue. I took it to my friend's shop last night, which specializes in Lexus cars, and built my LS460 for SEMA. He used his stethoscope and confirmed the chirping was coming from the HPFP on Bank 2, which is the one the dealer replaced. My question is, why isn't the noise coming from the HPFP on Bank 1?

I am using 91 octane gas, but going to Costco. So, it's probably not the best gas in the world. I'll let this tank empty out, put a fuel cleaner in, and go to a Mobil or Shell and see if that makes any difference.
hesitating to ask, but are you sure that lex technician not replaced it with the same one which was installed. I would not be surprised at all.
Old 01-20-24, 08:30 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

That is what the dealer said when I took in the second time. He said they would just keep chasing the issue. I took it to my friend's shop last night, which specializes in Lexus cars, and built my LS460 for SEMA. He used his stethoscope and confirmed the chirping was coming from the HPFP on Bank 2, which is the one the dealer replaced. My question is, why isn't the noise coming from the HPFP on Bank 1?

I am using 91 octane gas, but going to Costco. So, it's probably not the best gas in the world. I'll let this tank empty out, put a fuel cleaner in, and go to a Mobil or Shell and see if that makes any difference.
Costco gas is top tier. I really don't think it's the gasoline issue. Sure the Shell V-Power is known to have much more detergents, but that's just it. Detergents. I downloaded your sound clip. Mine only has 660 miles on it. I don't have that sound like you. I can certainly understand your concern. My brother has a Carrera S. He gets his gas at Costco, 91 octane. He loves the gas. I'm in VA and we get the good stuff here (93), but I am having difficult time understanding how that can be gas related, especially with 91 octaine, top-tier fuel. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to swap the fuel to see if that makes any difference. If swapping gas solves that problem, please share. I will never go to Costco for gas again if that's the case

Last edited by asong1; 01-20-24 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-20-24, 08:43 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
Costco gas is top tier. I really don't think it's the gasoline issue. Sure the Shell V-Power is known to have much more detergents, but that's just it. Detergents. I downloaded your sound clip. Mine only has 660 miles on it. I don't have that sound like you. I can certainly understand your concern. My brother has a Carrera S. He gets his gas at Costco, 91 octane. He loves the gas. I'm in VA and we get the good stuff here (93), but I am having difficult time understanding how that can be gas related, especially with 91 octaine, top-tier fuel. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to swap the fuel to see if that makes any difference. If swapping gas solves that problem, please share. I will never go to Costco for gas again if that's the case
LOL ill report back. I just filled up a couple days ago so it'll be a while. We are getting rain all weekend so it will sit in the garage.
Old 01-20-24, 08:43 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by microsup
hesitating to ask, but are you sure that lex technician not replaced it with the same one which was installed. I would not be surprised at all.
that would be some pretty shady stuff coming from a lexus dealer. the part does look pretty new though. no fading on any of the lettering on the part. ill post pictures later.
Old 01-20-24, 12:12 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

that would be some pretty shady stuff coming from a lexus dealer. the part does look pretty new though. no fading on any of the lettering on the part. ill post pictures later.
I mean, human error. But hope everything is fine and noise has another source.
Old 01-20-24, 02:17 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 334 Likes on 250 Posts

These folks are Master tech's. I know we have the human factor when it comes to any one of us. I have to believe its not what they replaced. Just mo.
Old 01-20-24, 06:39 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The engine is chirping at idle. It's absolutely not the gas; it should be obvious to any technician. I'd find a better one. Good luck.
Old 01-21-24, 01:55 PM
fodalo
Instructor

JC. Find out the crackrjack engine guru thats a Yoda in your or surrounding towns and take it to him, one that works on Hotrods. Those guys have the ear been doing it for a long time and may be able to tell u what it is.
Old 02-24-24, 05:25 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Just wanted to provide an update on this topic. I put Chevron synthetic fuel cleaner and a full tank of Chevron gas in car. Went through that entire tank and refilled with Chevron again. The chirping noise is gone. I've been checking periodically the past week. Today I was having a little fun with a Tesla on the freeway. After running at 130mph for a while I got home and checked and its just back to the normal Lexus engine ticking.
Old 02-24-24, 06:05 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Good for you that it all worked out! Next!
Old 02-25-24, 03:25 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Just wanted to provide an update on this topic. I put Chevron synthetic fuel cleaner and a full tank of Chevron gas in car. Went through that entire tank and refilled with Chevron again. The chirping noise is gone. I've been checking periodically the past week.
I've always had excellent experiences with Chevron Techron fuel additive in motorcycles with carbs with stale gas. I make every attempt to run only Chevron gas in all my cars. Bruce in Fl
Old 02-25-24, 08:17 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 639 Likes on 410 Posts

Do any of you other LC owners have this odd hard to describe say "whistling" or "bird chirping" noise coming from the engine when its fully warmed up? I know all about the normal Lexus engine ticking noise, but this is a completely different sound. I took it to dealer and they replaced the mechanical fuel pump and inspected the cams. I picked up car and didnt hear the sound when I first got it. Thinking everything was ok, and when I got home the sound was back. Took the car back to dealer today and the shop foreman says this is a normal sound for RCF/LC/IS500 cars.

My car is a 2019 with only 18K miles on it. If its normal, fine I guess, although a very odd noise coming from such an expensive car.
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...my-new-lc.html
Old 02-25-24, 08:32 AM
fodalo
Instructor

No Chevron stations here in the N.E.