17.65%
No, it's too expensive given the info above
17.65%
Yes, it's a Lexus
64.71%
Get outta here with these first world problems
11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a very low mileage LC w/o records?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 10:05 AM
antidentit
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a follow up on this thread and a HUGE thank you to @JaxSully who so graciously checked out the car for me in Florida! The car seems to be as close to original as you can get with the original tires, original battery, and a lack of any service records (and with two open recalls, is unlikely to have been to a Lexus service department lately or at all).

I decided to pass on the vehicle for now and wait for something with more records, or for this one to drop in price (it would need to be under $70k for me to bite).

Thanks Jax for your time - this is an awesome resource for the LC community and I appreciate your time!
Old 01-22-24, 10:35 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

Big pass for me, there are alot of nice cars out there. Sounds like a CarMaxx trade in..
Old 01-22-24, 12:08 PM
xwndycty
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not a big fan of CarMax either since it seems to be a place for someone to sometimes quickly dispose of a 'suspect' car. Have you tried the VINCHECK website:
https://www.nicb.org/vincheck (I've used it in the past...it a free lookup service provided to the public to assist in determining if a vehicle may have a record of an insurance theft claim, and has not been recovered, or has ever been reported as a salvage vehicle by participating NICB member insurance companies). Either way, good luck in pursuing what I consider to be the finest GT available for any price on the market today!
Old 02-01-24, 05:24 PM
mdamda
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

After test driving this super low mileage LC 500 (4 times) and then taking it to a dealer to go through it to verify no issues with the car I proceeded to buy it today. I think I paid a bit more than I really think I should have ($1500 or so) but felt comfortable after speaking with the service rep at Toyota. Even though I was a bit speculative about doing business with Carmax I have to say it all went rather well. The other advantage is the Carmax 30 day Return policy (1500 miles, doubling what is currently on the car!) which also gave me additional peace of mind.

The only small damage found was on the front spoiler, scratches underneath and some small scratches down low on the bottom left front. Nothing else at all found. Will be scheduling a trip to Lexus for the fuel pump recall and the updates for the HVAC and Combination meter (aka gages).

This car is pretty loaded with the Performance Package, All Weather Package, Convenience Package, Head Up Display, LSD, etc.

Also, FYI, I asked Carmax about doing a 24 test drive, but found out cars with prices in excess of $60k (I think) are not allowed. I also asked for details concerning their 125 pt inspection but was told they don't have those details, which I found absurd. Then I proceeded to ask to take it to a close by Toyota dealer to have them do a PPI, and was told Carmax usually does not allow this. I asked do you mean usually or do they not allow it, and was told they do not allow it. I left the dealership yesterday without a deal due to this. Carmax then texted me saying they would allow an extended test drive and thus would allow me to have it inspected which I did and subsequently consummated the deal and it now sits in my garage!

As I prior owner of a 2018 Mercedes AMG GTC, I am actually much more excited about this car for the long haul.
The following 5 users liked this post by mdamda:
bitkahuna (02-02-24), BruceinFla (02-02-24), fodalo (02-02-24), Islero (02-02-24), Kira X (02-19-24)
Old 02-01-24, 06:57 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mdamda

After test driving this super low mileage LC 500 (4 times) and then taking it to a dealer to go through it to verify no issues with the car I proceeded to buy it today. I think I paid a bit more than I really think I should have ($1500 or so) but felt comfortable after speaking with the service rep at Toyota. Even though I was a bit speculative about doing business with Carmax I have to say it all went rather well. The other advantage is the Carmax 30 day Return policy (1500 miles, doubling what is currently on the car!) which also gave me additional peace of mind.

The only small damage found was on the front spoiler, scratches underneath and some small scratches down low on the bottom left front. Nothing else at all found. Will be scheduling a trip to Lexus for the fuel pump recall and the updates for the HVAC and Combination meter (aka gages).

This car is pretty loaded with the Performance Package, All Weather Package, Convenience Package, Head Up Display, LSD, etc.

Also, FYI, I asked Carmax about doing a 24 test drive, but found out cars with prices in excess of $60k (I think) are not allowed. I also asked for details concerning their 125 pt inspection but was told they don't have those details, which I found absurd. Then I proceeded to ask to take it to a close by Toyota dealer to have them do a PPI, and was told Carmax usually does not allow this. I asked do you mean usually or do they not allow it, and was told they do not allow it. I left the dealership yesterday without a deal due to this. Carmax then texted me saying they would allow an extended test drive and thus would allow me to have it inspected which I did and subsequently consummated the deal and it now sits in my garage!

As I prior owner of a 2018 Mercedes AMG GTC, I am actually much more excited about this car for the long haul.
Congrats, Infrared is beautiful!
Old 02-02-24, 10:27 AM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 249 Posts

Njoy mdamda I aslo love the infrared it draws attention where ever I go, and cleans up well. Drive it in good health, good choice.
Old 02-02-24, 11:02 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

what paint treatment did the dealer use,,nice deep shine..im curious.
Old 02-02-24, 12:24 PM
mdamda
3rd Gear

No paint treatments yet, I'll likely do a Graphene coating once I am through the Carmax 30 Day return window.
Old 02-02-24, 12:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

mdamda, congrats!!!

antidentit, i think you let one get away. as kennyfsu wrote, in 1400 miles, how many 'records' would you erxpect?

someone wrote it should have an oil change every year... so every 300 miles?

waiting for the 'perfect' opportunity often misses an opportunity entirely.

but best of luck to you!
The following users liked this post:
mdamda (02-02-24)
Old 02-02-24, 08:05 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Enjoy your new toy, don’t worry anything. Congrats!
mdamda (02-03-24)
Old 02-03-24, 05:18 AM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Great price in my opinion, you saved more than $30k vs buying 2024 and it is almost the same car, congrats.
mdamda (02-03-24)
Old 02-06-24, 02:17 PM
antidentit
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

bitkahuna - yes, I do expect the services to be done based on mileage or time, whichever comes first. Even on a Lexus - and especially on one this expensive - I would expect an oil change every six months (or at the very most, every year) and ideally tires that are less than six years old (which on this car they are) since tires also need to be replaced based on age, not just mileage.

I already found some vehicles I like better, including a 4k mile CPO 2021 vehicle with all records for just a few thousand more and a 2k mile without CPO for about the same price and with records (although I'm not posting them here until after I've made my final decision since I don't want to get burned again).

Prices continue to drop on these, so I'm playing a long, patient game that I'm sure will result in a car with sufficient records (for me) for the same or a lower price. Although it is a tough game to play since I really want to secure a good one!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mdamda, congrats!!!

antidentit, i think you let one get away. as kennyfsu wrote, in 1400 miles, how many 'records' would you erxpect?

someone wrote it should have an oil change every year... so every 300 miles?

waiting for the 'perfect' opportunity often misses an opportunity entirely.

but best of luck to you!
Old 02-14-24, 10:14 AM
mdamda
3rd Gear

Quick update for anyone interested:

I returned the car to Carmax yesterday. The 30 day, 1500 mile return process was very easy and professional. I only put about 100ish miles on it.

Now the reason I returned the car:

It was not any reason concerning the car, I absolutely love(d) it! My daughter, after two prior attempts got accepted into Vet School. Great news yes, but also has a large expenditure on my behalf, so my new toy had to go back. I will likely be back in the market in 2-3 years looking for another low milage LC with the Sports Package!

Here's the link to the Carmax if anyone want to pursue it. Let me know if any questions about the car, but like I mentioned above, I had Toyota do a PPI on it and no issues or concerns were denoted.

https://www.carmax.com/car/25046962