LC Model (2018-present)

LC500 Order - Advice and Guidance (Bespoke or not?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-24, 07:49 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 288 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
TLDR (not just from this article, but from a bunch of things I've read) is:
  • CDK runs 15000 dealerships (out of about 17000) in North America
  • Systems impacted include everything from delivery to service maintenance and marketing/CRM work
  • Hackers have ransom demands
  • Ransom was supposedly going to be paid, but now isn't
  • CDK has started their recovery process as of Saturday but it's going to take a few days
  • Murmurs that they won't be FULLY operational until end of July
Doing back of the napkin math, I've estimated that this is about $120B in vehicles that won't be delivered in July (if in fact things are halted till then). My guess is dealerships will somehow figure out a way to do things "offline" and deliveries shouldn't be down that much longer

Also, my dealership told me that a) they can send it off for PPF, ceramic, etc while we wait, and b) I am free to come by any time to drive the car and use it, provided I return it at night . I won't do the latter, but they are providing some flexibility.

Lastly, I'll add (and this is anecdotal data) that a friend of mine has told me that Porsche Head Office is telling dealerships to do NO service work on any of their cars that are still in their warranty period, because it'll mess up their systems and tracking future warranty issues and claims if it's offline. Which is WILD if you ask me. I've heard other stories of dealerships only doing oil changes until the system is back up.
Thanks for that. I was able to Google and get some background just now. I read some articles that say autonation dealers (which mine is) have implemented workarounds to keep things moving. Hopefully I won't feel too much of the pain!
The following users liked this post:
mehran888 (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 08:31 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

I wouldn’t spend the money
(PPF) on the car unless I’ve driven it for couple hundreds miles and have washed the car myself to make sure it’s not a lemon. You will not recover the money spent on the PPF if for some reason you have to return the car.
Washing the car yourself will allow you to inspect the paint and make sure there’s no defect in it. And any imperfections in the panel work(gap).
Worst is when you haven’t known your car and you send it somewhere for work and now you’ve found something you don’t like. Was it like that from the factory or from the guy that worked on it.
Just my two cents.
I drove and kept my car for 500miles before sending it to PPF. Just keep it off the freeway to avoid any rock chips.
Just wait for proper paperwork. Get to know the car and make sure you know what you have before spending the 6-8K work on it.
I don’t know maybe 6-8k is not a lot for some people but it’s pretty significant to me after already spending 110k+ USD on it.
Old 06-26-24, 08:37 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickL
(PPF) on the car unless I’ve driven it for couple hundreds miles and have washed the car myself to make sure it’s not a lemon. You will not recover the money spent on the PPF if for some reason you have to return the car.
Washing the car yourself will allow you to inspect the paint and make sure there’s no defect in it. And any imperfections in the panel work(gap).
Worst is when you haven’t known your car and you send it somewhere for work and now you’ve found something you don’t like. Was it like that from the factory or from the guy that worked on it.
Just my two cents.
I drove and kept my car for 500miles before sending it to PPF. Just keep it off the freeway to avoid any rock chips.
Just wait for proper paperwork. Get to know the car and make sure you know what you have before spending the 6-8K work on it.
I don’t know maybe 6-8k is not a lot for some people but it’s pretty significant to me after already spending 110k+ USD on it.
I'm like less than 1% worried about being given a lemon. IMO that is not a legitimate worry worth delaying the PPF given where I live (almost all highway and lots of construction around). I'll drive it a few hundred miles probably within the first 3 days I have it so that's not a problem really. The PPF guys are going to wash it when I check it in and then we will inspect and photograph everything before they start working on it, this is part of their process.
Old 06-26-24, 09:53 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Ditto on my worries about my LC being a lemon, I'm also only doing front PPF and live in a rural area with a lot of loose gravel on random roads, so want the front protected from day 1. I'll also be doing highway driving in the first 1000km. No way to avoid the highway where I live.
Old 06-26-24, 10:01 AM
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Just my two cents.
Agree about washing, that was when I noticed the roof/pillar gap on the right side (Convertible) and some scrape marks underside the front wheel on the forward lip. Remedied by the Dealership and as expected being from Lexus, no mechanical issues.
Old 06-26-24, 10:25 AM
NickL
Instructor

Ditto on my worries about my LC being a lemon, I'm also only doing front PPF and live in a rural area with a lot of loose gravel on random roads, so want the front protected from day 1. I'll also be doing highway driving in the first 1000km. No way to avoid the highway where I live.
The dealer I picked the car from is 28mins on fastest route. I took the scenic small roads and it took me an hour. It was the best hour drive in the LC home.
The following 3 users liked this post by NickL:
Dukeaudio (06-26-24), mehran888 (06-26-24), np20412 (06-27-24)
Old 06-26-24, 03:35 PM
mehran888
Advanced

The dealer I picked the car from is 28mins on fastest route. I took the scenic small roads and it took me an hour. It was the best hour drive in the LC home.
My summer commute home is 2.5 hours of rush hour detours (I only do it once a week). As I was stuck in the rain today, driving through shaded and tree lined neighborhood on Lake Ontario, I thought to myself "in just under two weeks this goes from being a cruddy drive to one I look forward to". Can't wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by mehran888:
AutoCrazy (06-26-24), zissis (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 06:56 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Kicking up my own thread again, for a different topic. Anyone else experiencing delays related to CDK? My LC is due to arrive sometime between today and Friday, but my salesperson said they might not be able to complete delivery until CDK is back up. I'm not too worried yet as I'll need a week for PPF and he also said I can visit the car anytime, and even take it for a spin (provided I don't take it home at night). There are rumblings that CDK may not fully be back up until end of July. It's absolutely nuts to me that a cloud software service doesn't have a business continuity plan around something like this.

Anyways... lmk if anyone has taken LC delivery in the last week or plans to in the next two weeks. Would be good to triangulate the information I'm getting with what others are experiencing.
My LC was scheduled to arrive this past weekend. Not sure where it is in the customs process at this moment. I should take delivery in the next week or two as well. Despite the hack, my dealer seems to think that I can transact with no issue.
np20412 (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 07:07 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Mine arrived! Just swung by dealership today to check it out. Still needs PDI and I'll send it off to do get PPF done before I take delivery. My salesperson was very hesitant about committing to delivery before CDK issues are resolved. He said that they've been able to deliver vehicles that were already in the system, but aren't sure about what to do with vehicles like mine. While I didn't push, I do expect to have the car by July 8th (that's my 10 days buffer I'm giving for PDI, PPF, and CDK to get sorted). Here's a pic (sorry the double post for those following other threads but I'll post one in the other LC pictures thread too).

Very excited. Took my 11 and 13 year old with me and while they're not car people they shared in my excitement. WRT the white interior.. I found 3 spots (at least) where there were brown stains from the few people who drove the car (I presume it was from loading/unloading it on a trailer). NBD, but a reminder of how hard it'll be to keep a white interior clean given there were 3 different brown spots on a car with 90% plastic wrap still on it. Also noticed a light scuff on the left of the front bumper (lower part, but it was on the front paint area) that hopefully they'll buff out and will not be noticeable.

Here
The following 3 users liked this post by mehran888:
BlueIS05 (06-27-24), np20412 (06-27-24), zissis (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 07:11 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine arrived! Just swung by dealership today to check it out. Still needs PDI and I'll send it off to do get PPF done before I take delivery. My salesperson was very hesitant about committing to delivery before CDK issues are resolved. He said that they've been able to deliver vehicles that were already in the system, but aren't sure about what to do with vehicles like mine. While I didn't push, I do expect to have the car by July 8th (that's my 10 days buffer I'm giving for PDI, PPF, and CDK to get sorted). Here's a pic (sorry the double post for those following other threads but I'll post one in the other LC pictures thread too).

Very excited. Took my 11 and 13 year old with me and while they're not car people they shared in my excitement. WRT the white interior.. I found 3 spots (at least) where there were brown stains from the few people who drove the car (I presume it was from loading/unloading it on a trailer). NBD, but a reminder of how hard it'll be to keep a white interior clean given there were 3 different brown spots on a car with 90% plastic wrap still on it. Also noticed a light scuff on the left of the front bumper (lower part, but it was on the front paint area) that hopefully they'll buff out and will not be noticeable.

Here
Congrats! The wait is almost over.
mehran888 (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 07:27 AM
NickL
Instructor

LMAO. I was starting to question about this unicorn.
My point exactly on the other ppf thread. Regardless if you pick up the car fresh off the truck, there will be a few fine scuff or scratches here and there. If you want to find them, you will. My car was picked up at 5miles on the ODO.
This is why I gingerly drove past 500mi(no highway) and washed the car myself to be sure that it is a keeper. Had a level 1 paint correction done before PPF and now I'm not worried about the fine scratches anymore and drove the car like a normal human being.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickL:
mehran888 (06-27-24), zissis (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 07:44 AM
zissis
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Here
Congratz!!!! ... and welcome to the white interior club
mehran888 (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 12:07 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by zissis
Congratz!!!! ... and welcome to the white interior club
Where do I sign up for the support group?
zissis (06-29-24)
Old 06-27-24, 12:41 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome so glad yours came in!! I cannot wait for mine, just got the update today that the vessel docked at port.

I'm in FL, does anyone know what port this came in to? My guess is Jacksonville which means after a couple weeks (hopefully less!) in port, it should be on a carrier truck for delivery within a day of leaving port (I am only 3 hours from Jacksonville). I hope to get it by mid-month!
mehran888 (06-27-24)
Old 06-28-24, 03:17 AM
BruceinFla
Intermediate

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Awesome so glad yours came in!! I cannot wait for mine, just got the update today that the vessel docked at port.

I'm in FL, does anyone know what port this came in to? My guess is Jacksonville which means after a couple weeks (hopefully less!) in port, it should be on a carrier truck for delivery within a day of leaving port (I am only 3 hours from Jacksonville). I hope to get it by mid-month!
From an earlier post of mine. Bruce in Fl

Quick Reply: LC500 Order - Advice and Guidance (Bespoke or not?)