LC Model (2018-present)

LC500 Order - Advice and Guidance (Bespoke or not?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 05:40 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default LC500 Order - Advice and Guidance (Bespoke or not?)

Hello All!

After sitting on potentially buying the LC500 for 4 years (and 2 years with my name down on a Bespoke Inspiration Series (edited), but dealer never reaching out to me to confirm things), I've decided to heavily push forward and make a commitment. I've recently soured on the idea of the inspiration series, as a) it's really not that limited when you consider the bespoke option, and b) I don't like the idea of "you get what they design" with no customizations.

Some other background on me. I've been a Toyota/Lexus fan since my teenage years and have personally owned an IS300, GS350, and currently have a GX460. So the LC is a natural progression. The first "Inspiration Series" that caught my eye was the black one with the black wing as it looked both flashy yet also in some ways discrete. In general I feel like the rear taillights of the LC500 fit better with a darker so I'm leaning that way (and why I'm not chasing the 2024 Inspiration Series which is white). USB 2.0 is my current colour of choice, and if I was going with a non bespoke build I'd go with a red interior. With the bespoke I'd consider the orange that some other person recently posted in here.

I've driven a 2020 LC500 and enjoyed it, but I have no clue how things like VGRS, LSD etc would change the dynamics of the car. I hope to keep this car forever (I'm in my mid 40s and want to own this car for 25-30 years, if not more) so overall maintenance/things possibly wearing over time concern me, even with Lexus quality. So I do wonder whether 4-wheel steering and a automatic rear spoiler really do improve my quality of life vs the potential for a pricey bill 10-15 years down the road. On the note of the spoiler, while I like the carbon spoiler on the black Inspiration Series, I'm probably going to opt out of it for the car I get, particularly if I go USB 2.0.

I also haven't gone to the dealership to truly understand what the bespoke customizations are. But before I do wanted to get some guidance and advice from people who have gone through this before, and also how the prices add up. To be honest, the regular LC coupe in USB 2.0 with a red interior and the Performance Package pretty much meets my needs. The only "tweaks" I'd make if I could customize it are the Bespoke 21" matte black wheels (which I love and would probably purchase even if I didn't go bespoke) and an orange interior. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Sorry for being long winded. A lot of thoughts and excitement I'm trying to piece together in my mind. I'm also wondering whether I'd consider doing PPF on the car to start to just have a more unique blue (and then remove or replace it 5-10 years down the road). Matte Space Mugello looks amazing imo. And on the other end of the "blue" spectrum Cavalry Blue also looks pretty sweet. Oh, lastly I'm in Canada.

Appreciate everyone who has an LC500s thoughts on the driving dynamics of Performance features vs non-performance, and also some thoughts on the bespoke ordering experience and how pricing also adds up. Ultimately this is my "forever dream car" so maybe I'm overthinking not getting VGRS, etc.

Last edited by mehran888; 04-16-24 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-17-24, 06:18 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

If you are comfortable with the increased premium:

1. Configure the vehicle exactly the way you want + add the cost of the bespoke wheels. Are prices similar? Then go bespoke
2. Does bespoke give you what you really want your car to be? Especially in the interior color option If you prefer the normal colors, again compare the car with the wheels added and take the cheaper route
3. Do you want the special badging & certification of authenticity (cool gimmick) for sentimental value or resale value (not sure if resale value would increase or not) then go bespoke. This isn't a 'collectible' car like the 21MY Inspiration series that is crazy and rare (Structural Blue). For me, the badging and the certificate didn't matter at all. For my convertible 24 bespoke, I 'had' to have the white & blue interior. For this, I've turned down the Inspiration allocation and went with the bespoke.

Regarding PPF. It's a personal thing. Only you can decide that. But I full PPF all cars I have that is above $100K. In my case, only exception to this rule was my 23 GX 460 Luxury w/ all available options. I wanted to spend the extra $$ to fully protect Toyota's, if not the world's FINAL naturally aspirated V8 SUV.

That's about it. Not a difficult decision.

Last edited by asong1; 01-17-24 at 06:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mehran888 (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 09:31 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 189 Likes on 114 Posts

My first piece of advice: find another dealer. This dealer either hasn't done a bespoke before or has no interest in helping you do it, which is a big red flag. I have a '24 bespoke convertible, the first dealership I talked to wasn't interested in helping me get it. The second dealer was, but wasn't super familiar with the process. Lexus doesn't make it simple, and most dealers would rather ask your wife what color RX she wants than spend a few hours helping you figure out the bespoke process.

I ordered a '24 bespoke convertible in USB 2.0, after initially buying a '21 convertible in nightfall mica. LC500's aren't that common anyway, but the USB 2.0 will end up being one of the rarest colors they make for these cars. Of the ~417 convertibles currently in the pipeline, just 19 of them are USB 2.0 (under 5%). The LC probably only has 3-4 model years left as of the 2024 interior refresh, and USB 2.0 is new as of 2024. So if you want something unique and universally appealing, I think that's the color to get.

If you plan on keeping this car forever, go bespoke and get most of the options, LSD, HUD etc. First off, you'll never get those matte black bespoke wheels without either going bespoke or Inspiration Edition. Second, even if the bespoke is a few thousand more, over the long run that's trivial money compared to getting exactly what you want. Part of the reason why I was so quick to jump on the '24 was that I could spec it exactly as I wanted it, vs my '21 that I (a) hated the factory wheels and (b) the nightfall mica color looked amazing in perfect light and not-amazing in all other light.

I would be worried about 4-wheel steering for the long term, just because it will need an alignment every so often and not everybody will know how to do that. I wouldn't worry about the rear wing.

I would also recommend waiting to order until June or July, just so you can get a 2025. I've seen a few posts about people wanting specific wheels for their 2024 bespokes and Lexus not having any more available, so your best chances of not having any supply issues (or better still, they offer more options) is to try to get a 2025.

Also if you have any interest in track driving the LC500 before you buy it, find one of the Lexus Performance Driving School sessions for later this year. The first year I did it (2022) they gave out a $1500 coupon for LC500's, which pays for itself if you wait to order. No coupon for 2023 that I remember. It's a fun event, and you really get to thrash the cars. I would recommend one of the COTA / Austin days, it's the best track on their list this year.

Here's my '24 with the matte black wheels and blackout trim:

The following 4 users liked this post by jbuffett:
Dukeaudio (01-17-24), fodalo (01-20-24), mehran888 (01-17-24), ragabnh (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 09:54 AM
asong1
Intermediate

That's a beautiful blue. Love it!
Old 01-17-24, 11:59 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

At least in the US, you CANNOT have a red interior with the performance (aka handling) package, so you know. If you want red interior, you're stuck with the touring package (or maybe bespoke), meaning no Alcantara on the seats, no RWS, no spoiler, and no VGRS. i personally consider all of those gimmicks, and MUCH prefer a more natural front engine/RWD driving experience, even when a car equipped with all of that potentially problematic crap has a little better driving dynamics. Jason Camissa and other drivers hated all of that, saying it completely removes any feel from driving, like a video game. I much prefer a more 'natural' driving experience, even if limits are slightly lower. It's already a whale of a car, so those things don't appeal to me in the slightest, especially if you want to keep the car long term (out of warranty), like I do too. But to each his own, of course. Good luck.
mehran888 (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 12:32 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Tx all for your feedback and guidance. Quick note that I have decided to switch dealerships as the one I was working with didn't get back to me at all after my deposit and I had to chase them. The other one is a smaller dealership, but has dealt with bespoke orders before. They've also been very patient with me with all the questions I've asked them about cars over the years.

The USB 2.0 is beautiful and why I want to go with it. Congrats to you! I definitely would like the car this year, and to not wait until late Summer to order. Hopefully the matte black wheel supply issues are fixed. Or maybe I could possibly negotiate something where I order the wheels and they "loan" me (or rent me) a temporary set of wheels while I wait for them. Also, I'm not sure how much they'll change in 2025 as the main update I was waiting for was the head unit and decent Android Auto / Carplay.

Track driving is out of the question as there don't seem to be Canadian options. I wasn't going to track the car anyways, so I doubt I'd get much usable feedback from that experience.

Given what I'm hearing, you've helped me narrow things down a bit. I'm thinking
  • Torsten LSD
  • Yamaha performance dampers
  • ML sound
  • No RWS or active spoiler
  • Probably no VGRS (unless it's included).
  • Black out trim specs, carbon roof, matte black wheels
  • USB 2.0 with orange interior (assuming still available for 2024)
I'll see if my salesperson at the new dealer has time to spend a couple hours with me this Saturday doing a bit of a mock walkthrough of the bespoke before I finalize the order.
Old 01-17-24, 12:57 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The Torsen and Yamaha damper (it's just ONE, and it's a chassis damper) are always bundled together, so you know. Also RWS and VGRS are always bundled together as well, and only included with the performance package, so you cannot get them with a bespoke anyway. The spoiler could be ordered as a stand-alone option with bespoke, but I wouldn't get it myself. You need to decide if you want sport or touring seats, and I really encourage you to try both before ordering anything. I couldn't live with the sport seats, due to too aggressive bolstering on the cushion, digging into my thigh with the left leg on the dead pedal, which would be there basically all the time, since it's an auto. The touring seats are great, and basically the same, but without the super aggressive bolstering. And they look great, and are unique to the LC (the sport seats are shared with many other Lexus vehicles, I understand). If you're like me, and sport seats are a deal-breaker, you'd have to order the touring package, which already includes all leather, touring seats, Alcantara headliner, the winter package (heated steering wheel and windshield), and ML. All of those are must-have options IMO. You'd only have to add Torsen (which includes the Yamaha damper) and HUD, if you want it. And hopefully you can order any interior leather color you want. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress. But you'll have to pay a pretty penny for that car.
Old 01-17-24, 02:48 PM
asong1
Intermediate

You do get the yamaha dampers with bespoke. Comes standard & confirmed with the parts dept. There are things on bespoke that is installed as standard which isn't advertised. This caused a lot of confusion, so I had to confirm them with the parts department based on my vin#.
Old 01-17-24, 03:48 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

@JCtx What other models have the same LC500 sport seat? Interested to see w/c other car would benefit from the air scarf.

@mehran888 All the best in your Bespoke process, especially w/the wheel order... interested to see if that dealership will 'loan/rent' out wheels, as i highly doubt Lexus would approve. BUT worst case they say no. This is your forever car, ask away! I've had 2 unique spec'd forever cars...waited a WHILE before i sold/found buyer w/same taste, w/c imo, is what you'll need w/a USB/Orange spec. (If you do get that spec pls don't tint it...that interior must be on full display!). If any pushback, like @jbuffett says, wait a few months and get exactly what you want in a '25...you've waited this long.
Old 01-18-24, 08:00 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Tx all - the seats is something I hadn't considered and will check out. Spoke to my Salesperson today and he said the 2024 Bespoke configuring guide just got released (at least in Canada) today. He also said they're gauranteed at least one allocation for a July delivery. I'm going to head in on Saturday and go through the process with him. He was surprised with the orange interior . And good point @Dukeaudio on if I ever decide to sell it. TBH I don't see myself selling it (I still regret selling both my '01 IS300 and '13 GS350), and with the LC500 and the GX460... I see myself keeping both as forever cars as they're pretty much the last NA V8s to be produced. The GX may eventually switch to a project vehicle 10+ years down the road, and the LC500 will be a grand tourer for occasional spins in the countryside. And if I do sell it and I take a hit of a few K because the blue on orange isn't appealing, I'll rationalize it as having a few K of enjoyment driving it because it was unique . Noted on the tinting!

Dealer had no idea about the matte black wheels but he'll find out more before I visit him on Saturday. Tx all! Will keep everyone posted as things progress. Appreciate the community.
Old 01-18-24, 08:13 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Good choice! i also have the 23 GX Luxury w/ offroad package & design sport package. will keep these final V8s forever.

Here is my bespoke convertible (24). Very happy with my wheel choice. It’s dark chrome (gloss dark gun metal). Although the website showed black. it’s not), but under different light condition, the flat parts of the wheel becomes black. it’s pretty cool / awesome effect.

Last edited by asong1; 01-18-24 at 08:18 AM.
Nesszors (01-21-24)
Old 01-18-24, 08:29 AM
rcho
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

what is the price you getting the 24 Bespoke? here in Illinois / Chicago, I getting $113 + doc , fees, etc...
Old 01-18-24, 08:31 AM
asong1
Intermediate

My dealer is in Virginia. With the options i chose + out of state registration, taxes & fees + MSRP was somewhere around $135K if i recall.

Registered in Florida. I am part time Virginia, NC & full time Florida

Keep in mind that this is a convertible

Last edited by asong1; 01-18-24 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-18-24, 09:22 AM
rcho
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the $113 is all Bespoke Convertibles MSRP on them is $120k

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Wisconsin Dealer offer me $500 over dealer invoice, $111K

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Old 01-21-24, 06:40 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Hello all, went through the process with the dealer.

First off a correction / apology. When I said I had a 2 year deposit on a bespoke, I actually meant the Inspiration Series (and hadn't heard back).

Spec'd out a bespoke. Pricing (at MSRP) seems to be cheaper than the US: I spec'd
  • Blue on red (there is no orange for us in 2024)
  • Sport package (Torsen)
  • The IE 21" wheels
  • Alcantara headliner
  • Sport seats (no cost option) - They had both sport and touring seats in dealership and the sport didn't feel tight for my 5'7 160lb frame). I agree it may not be great for longer rides but they felt nicer than touring for the short period I sat in them
  • Black out trim (for taillights and headlights and grill)
  • Carbon roof
So NO active spoiler, VGRS/4wheel steering weren't an option. Neither was the 2021 Inspiration fixed wing, which I wouldn't have gotten anyways.

Total was about $127 + taxes. In Canada we pay 20% luxury tax over $100K, and then pay 13% tax ON TOP of that. So that alone was almost a $6K.

I haven't firmed the order but hope to in the next week or so for a July delivery date. All obviously contingent on Lexus approval. Dealership seemed to suggest that every dealership in Canada will get at least one bespoke allocation for 2024.

Quick Reply: LC500 Order - Advice and Guidance (Bespoke or not?)