LC Model (2018-present)

Interior cleaning tips and products?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 06:36 AM
jamster330
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interior cleaning tips and products?

I want to keep the LC interior as nice as possible and was wondering if there are any products that are worth looking into?
Old 01-20-24, 06:48 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jamster330
I want to keep the LC interior as nice as possible and was wondering if there are any products that are worth looking into?
I just bought this out of curiosity. Basically repackaged silly puddy. I'll give it a try in the storage compartments, door pockets and around the HVAC screen corners where dust will accumulate.

Amazon Amazon

I went ahead and PPFd the whole car and the interior smooth trims + various high touch items, including the infotainment screens to eliminate hairline scratches. As for leather, I usually take it to a professional detailer once every 2 years for all my cars. I try to avoid the greasy chemicals or cleaners (unless I see a noticible stain). Change out the cabin filter often to reduce the interior dust. You'd be surprised how much dust impacts the car. It's usually the dust that sits there and hardens onto your trims & leather. So, in ALL my car's glove compartment, I carry one of these:
https://www.swiffer.com/en-us/shop-p...r-starter-kit/

If I see any dust, including the gauge window, steering column & dashboard. Just give it a soft pass. Picks up all the dust with couple of passes. Always good as new. Most of my car's interior is like a new car. I credit most of this to the freqent use of the swiffer. Works pretty awesome for me. The hand held ones are small enough to fit into any glove compartment. Give it a try
Old 01-20-24, 07:11 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Interior is pretty simple for me. As above I use a hand duster to wipe over the interior, and that's usually enough. For anything more I clean all the plastics and leather seats with a damp cloth. Ocassionlly I'll apply 303 aerospace protectant to seats and plastics. Oh, and prior to winter I give the rubber trim aound the doors a wipe over with Gummi Pflege.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24, 07:18 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

I think your winterization tips a valuable. I'm lucky to be able to garage all my vehicles in climate controlled areas. But for those who park their cars out side or in freezing garage during the winter, I can definitley see this logic.

UV fade is another big concern for the cars that stay outside. Definitely something to think about.
Old 01-20-24, 12:22 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I usually clean it with dump microfiber cloth. I use very hot water as hot as you can hold it in your hands, like a steamed towel and wipe all the seats. Then dry microfiber to wipe it off, and next step is 303 interior protection. Nothing else.
Clean interior in convertible is hard, but very pleasing
Old 01-20-24, 03:50 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 639 Likes on 410 Posts

One thing I have learned throughout my life from owning cars with super nice interiors is that clean water (RO/bottled,etc) and a microfiber towel takes care of every surface inside the vehicle that isn't glass/carpet 99% of the time.

I don't understand why anyone needs to use chemicals to clean the interior surfaces (dash/doors/leather) of the car unless you are getting out a stain or are just a messy bastard.

For long-term leather care I use the above-mentioned method during regular cleanings and use Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil/Pristine Clean every other year--it is magic for semi-aniline leather. (secret is to let the Rejuvenator soak the leather for 24hrs inside a hot car [top up if you have a 'vert] on a sunny day)

Last edited by 355F1; 01-20-24 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-20-24, 05:50 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

a lot of pros use unscented baby wipes for leather, and alcohol prep pads for spot cleaning ( be careful with alcohol around plastics)
Old 01-20-24, 06:15 PM
bmiyyoda
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out IMJOSHV on youtube. He has a ton of detailing tips and product tests that might help you get started. The biggest help to me was knowing what products to buy and how to use them efficiently. His recommendations on drying towels and interior window cleaning saved me a ton of time and energy!
Old 01-21-24, 02:12 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by microsup
I usually clean it with dump microfiber cloth. I use very hot water as hot as you can hold it in your hands, like a steamed towel and wipe all the seats. Then dry microfiber to wipe it off, and next step is 303 interior protection. Nothing else.
Clean interior in convertible is hard, but very pleasing
Alcantara is my current point of concern. Strange *** material. Seems a steering wheel of it would be a horrible idea to maintain.
Strangely, Lexus actually does say basically water and microfiber on Alcantara.
The important thing with Alcan is to not let it mat, exactly Why I think it's terrible for a steering wheel. I do think any of it you handle when driving, Weekly should be wiped down with the aforementioned hot water and microfiber then while damp brush the nap back up with an upholstery brush.
I actually let my driver's door bolster nap get laid down a bit. I sniffed around online and kept coming back to this Sonax. There are vids of it Totally Bringing Back Alcan that's as smooth as leather. It worked great for me.
Also, no steam on it and no heavy scrubbing with the microfiber. Lightly does it. Bruce in Fl

​​​​
Old 01-23-24, 10:13 PM
Fester
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep, I use this Sonax on gt4 and ctr, great product for alcantera.
Old 01-23-24, 10:19 PM
Fester
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
I

I went ahead and PPFd the whole car and the interior smooth trims + various high touch items, including the infotainment screens to eliminate hairline scratches.
I have mine fully ppf’d. Actually paint corrected, ppf’d and ceramic coating. I have ppf on door sills as well. However, he won’t do ppf on the infotainment screen, I really want to protect it. Any micro scratch is going to drive me nuts..
Old 02-02-24, 09:11 AM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Any advice on using leather cleaner product by Chemical Guys is appreciated, the bottle says its is fine but hands on experience is very valuable.
Old 02-02-24, 04:53 PM
Ephilyaw
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 56 Posts

Chemical Guys Leather cleaner and their conditioner is good BUT ONLY for Leather DO NOT use on Alcantara

The following users liked this post:
ragabnh (02-02-24)
Old 02-02-24, 08:29 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Ephilyaw
Chemical Guys Leather cleaner and their conditioner is good BUT ONLY for Leather DO NOT use on Alcantara
Thanks for your input, I am using Sonax for the Alcantara.
Old 02-02-24, 08:57 PM
SunCruzin
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
Any advice on using leather cleaner product by Chemical Guys is appreciated, the bottle says its is fine but hands on experience is very valuable.
I have used their cleaner on my driver's seat and it has worked well, leaving no residual matter of any kind and had no detrimental effects. The company also markets 2 different products to rejuvenate leather, a conditioner and a serum. I have spot used the conditioner, and while it seemed to help the area I applied it onto, it did cause a slight change in the coloring, not significant but something to take into account. I have the caramel interior.
The serum contains UV protection and a different formulation. I have not tried the serum in my vehicle and won't, based on my initial experience with the conditioner.
Generally, I am satisfied with Chemical Guys products that I have tried, (Honeydew Snowfoam, Ceramic detailer, Leather cleaner), but will most likely not be using the leather conditioning products again.
The following 2 users liked this post by SunCruzin:
355F1 (02-03-24), ragabnh (02-03-24)

Quick Reply: Interior cleaning tips and products?