LC Model (2018-present)

My Day With A Rented LC

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 10:09 PM
Reefbreak
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My Day With A Rented LC

Finally spent an entire day with a LC500 Convertible (through Turo) and the experience pretty much sealed the deal it is the car I should focus on. I will not go into all of the pros and cons here since most owners know them, but the Jekyll and Hyde persona really shows when one gets to spend a lot of time with the car. Frankly, I had been more intrigued lately with the Jaguar F-Type (and yes...I know from every competitor forum the negatives, perceived or real, about the F-Type) and perhaps could have lived with most of them. What seems to be happening with many of their dealerships, and therefore service departments, made me walk away.
Initially...one concern for me with the LC was that it was just too big of a car. But after spending a day with it and driving it in several different modes and types of roads, it was more responsive than expected and felt just about perfect. Enough said...kind of a relief just to know you have settled on the right car. Now...to find one.
The car I drove today was a white vert and although I liked the color, a Mica coupe is what I've spent more time looking at. But just recently, I saw a 2020 Nori Green for sale and was pretty wowed out. I will be on the Mainland next week and hope to change plans a bit and see it: https://www.lexusoftucsonautomall.co...CP5AY8LA007818. A few things stick out on what has been advertised about this car so far like why the stock pictures that do not match the actual interior color and no service records on the Carfax other than PPF (very odd for a 17k mile car). Looks like maybe a few chips on the hood and bumper as well. But...it is L Certified so that is a plus. If I make an appointment to see the car, I'll search this forum hard for threads related to inspections, items to look for, etc. Aloha

The following users liked this post:
355F1 (01-22-24)
Old 01-22-24, 01:34 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey, I'm basically on your same boat. But was also thinking last night of ditching the P450 RWD as an alternative, not only because my local dealer bailed (nearest one is 500+ miles away now). They said they could still service Jags, but I'm not sure they can perform warranty work, recalls, or even sell genuine parts anymore. Plus not crazy about the engine being SC (plus weirdly detuned from the R one). But the main reason I'm ditching it is it's not really the dual-personality car I'm looking for. Sold my awesome Cayman GTS because it was way too noisy in the cabin when traveling, and I'm not sure the Jag is any quieter. Maybe a hair, but the short test drive I did, it was way noisier than I wanted. The test drive of the LC coupe touring ('19 model) was at rush hour, so couldn't get it past 50, but I think it was significantly quieter than the Jag. And the revelation was a few twisties we hit, which tackled them much better than I anticipated from a 4,300+ lb whale. Ha ha. And that car was equipped exactly the way I'd buy it, without the undesirable tech that removes any feel left (RWS & VGRS); I want the purest front V8/RWD experience as possible. Now, this is going to sound like sacrilege here, but the non-Z51 C8 (with MRC) I drove, seemed to me equally quiet in the cabin as the LC (with everything in comfort). And it actually comes from the factory with UHP A/S tires (Michelin AS4s), which are not available for the LC with 21s (which are basically all LCs). The only problem with that car is the DCT is still having serious issues even after 5 years of production, so not crazy to go back to GM, when I had to sell my 2 ex-Vettes for defects, and promised never to get another. Only reason I re-considered it is because it's like day and night from the previous iterations, and a truly dual-personality car when equipped with sport exhaust and magnetic ride suspension (MRC). And I could buy a new one, for the price of a used LC. Well, not entirely, which is my disappointment. Both the C8 and LC dropped the ball in '24 with infotainment changes that ruined the cars IMO. The LC killed the interior vibe with that freaking iPad of a screen, and then they're having serious issues with it, which is disappointing coming from Toyota. And the C8 also changed the infotainment killing nav, and now making it a freaking paid google app, and other undesired changes. And THAT is pretty much eliminating the C8 from consideration, since any '23 could still be plagued by DCT issues. So that leaves the LC standing. Ha ha. Just need to find a pristine one with minimal miles ('22 or '23) the way I like it, which are unicorns. Besides the touring package, it has to have the Torsen (fully mechanical LSD) and HUD (ML is standard). And would try to find OEM 20" wheels, since I don't want summer tires on that car, to also be able to use it in cooler weather (safely). Best of luck with your search too.
Old 01-23-24, 12:07 AM
Reefbreak
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Aloha JC,
I looked at several of the same cars...the Cayman, C8, F-Type...and even the Mach I. I moved onto other cars than the LC initially because unless one orders a brand new one, the right used combination of colors, interior, etc. is tough to find. Perhaps the biggest mistake I made was not renting an LC for a whole day sooner (which I finally did recently)...that pretty much pushed everything off the list, even the F-Type which I was nearly sold on. I could go on and on about the LC but even though it really is a big car, I felt it handled very well and the size was not nearly the factor I thought it might be. And the exhaust...I can imagine getting the giggles from those up and downshifts for a long time. There are limited places on Oahu to really get going in it but I did find a few half mile stretches where I hit just under 100 rather quickly. But, I had to back off pretty quickly. There is no where here like the canyons in CA or some of the roads in the Mid-West....even PA and OH have some great back roads to get lost on with nice twisties. But...the car was a total blast...even in spurts and especially in the few tunnels that are here. Best of luck with your search...there appears to be more 2020s-2022s coming on the market and prices seem just a tad softer.