Options for LC500 - Rear wheel steering with glass roof

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-24, 08:49 PM
GOTULUKN
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Options for LC500 - Rear wheel steering with glass roof

Hey guys!

First post here, I currently own a 2016 convertible BMW m4. I love my car, it's been very good to me. The LC500 has always caught my eye, and thinking about purchasing one. I'm aware that with Lexus reliability and quality are the brand's bread and butter. While performance and excitement are usually not part of the recipe. I have read that options are tricky and weird with Lexus, for unknown reasons, my gripe is it possible to configure an LC500 with rear-wheel steering, automated spoiler, with a GLASS roof and not the carbon fiber roof, as I like the extra light in the cabin, the carbon roof doesn't really do much for the weight either way.

I've been warned that I will not be happy with the LC500's performance along with the inability to increase the power on this car. My m4 went from 425whp at baseline to 503whp with an OBD2 wifi adapter and 20-second ECU flash an app on my phone, and when I'm running 100% e85 fuel, it dyno'd 580whp/637wtq. I am hoping the engine sound, luxury, comfort and aesthetics enough to compensate. Based on many review videos, it is said that this is a retired man's car. What's your input on this?

thanks!
Davis
Old 01-26-24, 09:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,342 Posts

While it's true there are not a lot of modifications available for the LC, there are some. PPE makes headers and exhaust for the LC. I have also changed the wheels for wider ones along with the tires.

Last edited by flowrider; 07-01-24 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 05:15 AM
FranknStein
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The limitations with configuration options are a bit screwy on the LC500. I also wanted a glass roof. The real question is: do you think the rear wheel steering is even necessary? 99% of sport cars on the market do not have it, and it's not like people are complaining about the steering on all these cars. Your M4 doesn't have it. Is the handling bad? If I were ordering a Porsche 911 today, I honestly wouldn't even option it. Has anyone ever complained about the handling on a 911 without RWS? I'm also concerned it would rob the car of a bit of steering feel. Note that it's not even an option on the convertible LC500.

Frankly I think it's a bit of a gimmick and adds complexity to the car. The only time I have found RWS useful is to improve parking lot manners on large SUVs that normally have crap turning radiuses (I recently test drove a BMW X5 with it).
Old 01-27-24, 09:05 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm with on this.. I drove a 911 GT3 with rear steering. Other than the steering angle, I really didn't see the benefit. Now, I didn't track the thing so I can't comment on the corner dynamics w/ increased down-force.

But for the LCs, people swear by it. I guess it helps with easier parking on a tight lot (never had an issue yet), and being able to make tighter u-turns. I like my LC Convertible exactly the way it is. No variable steering and no rear steering. Initially I wanted it was a bummer that convertibles didn't have the variable steering, but I understand why the engineers took this out to deliver the 'feel' they were trying to acheve with the convertibles.

@FranknStein when you get your bespoke, I would love to get together and swap cars to see how much differences there are between the bespoke coupe vs. bespoke convertible. This would be a hoot!
The following users liked this post:
FranknStein (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 09:07 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
While it's true there are not a lot of modifications available for the LC, there are some. PPE makes headers and exhaust for the LC. There is a lightweight crank pulley damper available from the folks at RRRacing and some folks have traded the diff for the one in the LC500h. I have done the first three but not the last one. I have also changed the wheels for wider ones along with the tires.
What's it like to upgrade the header on the LC? Deeper / louder sound? Also, do you have some photos of our car from the front quarter view? Would love to see the stance difference with the wider rims and tires. Were you able to acheive 1 to 1.25 inches of negative offset with the rims?
Old 01-27-24, 03:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^

See Post #19 here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...-wheels-2.html

But, I'm in the process of getting new wheels Last Thursday afternoon I had an unfortunate accident. I was on my way to Olive Garden, behind another car, when I ran over something in the road. I heard a large bang and a mile later I had a flat in my right rear. Called AAA and had the LC flatbeded home. I called Discount Tire and ordered 2 new PS4S. I jacked up the car and put it on jack stands and removed the rear wheels. Went to Discount Tire with the my wheels where I discovered the wheel with the flat was damaged beyond repair. When I first bought my wheels, I cheapened out and got flow formed wheels. I always had forged in the past, and should have bought forged, but I didn't. So now, I'm replacing my wheels with Vossen CG-202 forged wheels with the same specs as my old wheels.

Last edited by flowrider; 01-27-24 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-29-24, 11:59 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd absolutely NOT mess with the crank pulley damper; you could ruin your engine. Just not worth it. Most folks have no idea the research that goes into that seemingly cheap part, to save the engine from damaging itself. I also wouldn't 'tune' a new vehicle, especially under warranty, since it'd almost surely void any engine warranty claim. The first thing manufacturers do is to download the ECU, and if it was tampered with (yes, manufacturers know), game over. And no, no jury would side with an owner tampering with the ECU, which is a federal offense to begin with. I suggest to test drive the car, and decide if it's for you. Having said that, it has plenty of performance for the type of car it is IMO. And it's more reliable than almost anything else, since it has a NA engine, PLUS a regular planetary-gear transmission. And if you forgo the gimmicky RWS, VGRS, and spoiler, it should be even more reliable (less crap to go wrong). Plus you'd have more steering feel (VGRS has none), and more natural driving dynamics. And a glass roof, for those who prefer some more light in the cabin. But yes, I agree color/feature options suck on this car.
Old 01-29-24, 01:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^That's you, not me‼️ I have owned many cars, trucks & motorcycles during my lifetime. I have only blown one engine, and that was on a 1970 Mustang Boss 302, that had a manufacturing defect. None of my vehicles have remained stock, all (except the Boss) were modified to some extant. My modifications have never caused any issues. For the record the Boss was never modified by me - completely stock
Old 03-26-24, 02:38 PM
Nesszors
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GOTULUKN
Hey guys!

First post here, I currently own a 2016 convertible BMW m4. I love my car, it's been very good to me. The LC500 has always caught my eye, and thinking about purchasing one. I'm aware that with Lexus reliability and quality are the brand's bread and butter. While performance and excitement are usually not part of the recipe. I have read that options are tricky and weird with Lexus, for unknown reasons, my gripe is it possible to configure an LC500 with rear-wheel steering, automated spoiler, with a GLASS roof and not the carbon fiber roof, as I like the extra light in the cabin, the carbon roof doesn't really do much for the weight either way.

I've been warned that I will not be happy with the LC500's performance along with the inability to increase the power on this car. My m4 went from 425whp at baseline to 503whp with an OBD2 wifi adapter and 20-second ECU flash an app on my phone, and when I'm running 100% e85 fuel, it dyno'd 580whp/637wtq. I am hoping the engine sound, luxury, comfort and aesthetics enough to compensate. Based on many review videos, it is said that this is a retired man's car. What's your input on this?

thanks!
Davis
Did you ever get an answer on this? I'm in the same exact predicament as you. I want rear steering but a glass roof. I'm trying to build bespoke to get the dark chrome trim and the black rims.