LC Model (2018-present)

Comma Ai / OpenPilot on LC (Level 2 Autonomy)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 07:12 PM
edsel
Driver School Candidate

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

I plugged in a Comma 3x today on my 21 convertible and loaded the Sunnypilot code. I've tried Corolla and IS and ES car settings, but nothing has worked yet. It's interesting to see that it does recognize the road details and creates a path, but when setting cruise control it cycles and deactivates in half a second.
Attached Thumbnails Comma Ai / OpenPilot on LC (Level 2 Autonomy)-20240205_181919.jpg  
Old 02-05-24, 07:51 PM
maraca
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by edsel
I plugged in a Comma 3x today on my 21 convertible and loaded the Sunnypilot code. I've tried Corolla and IS and ES car settings, but nothing has worked yet. It's interesting to see that it does recognize the road details and creates a path, but when setting cruise control it cycles and deactivates in half a second.
2024 model only confirmed so far. And for coupes with rear steering, you need to find another firmware, or work with comma on porting some other vehicles with rear steering.
Old 02-06-24, 05:46 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

One thing is for certain, it's not the harness. Did you buy this just for the LC, or have you had it installed on another vehicle, but just added a new harness on the LC? At least on Sunny Pilot, there is a way to see errors (I forget where on the menu item). There should be a section where you can see the errors and codes. Some possible issues:

1. Change the vehicle model back to Corolla's last gen (don't know what year that is). I bet on the 21 LCs, it's still using the same settings as the launch model year. So that would make it 17 or 18 or corolla? Once changed, go to the settings and 'reboot' and see what happens. Often it is recommended to manually reboot when vehicle models are changed. During the reboot process it does some ECU scanning and send & receives messages to confirm compatibility

2. USB C or ethernet cable is faulty. No way to troubleshoot this without another known working pair. If can't just use any cables, you must use USB 3.1 "Gen 2" or higher otherwise it won't work. For my LC, because these USB-C cables have known issues in the past, I've ordered 2 just in case. If you have the means to test out at least the USB-C cable on another vehicle, then you know you're good.

Last gen Toyota's were very difficult at first, but I do beleive they cracked it. It was a huge controversy becasue Comma dev team took so long to support Toyotas which had something to do with encrypted communicaitons which made it very difficult to communicate to and from the EPS via can bus. But that has been solved now. My gut tells me that it's matter of finding the right vehicle year model in case there are any differences in communication methods since Toyotas are usually very similar from models to models.

Last step, Join the "SunnyHaibin's OpenPilot Server" discord channel (google for link). Post your results on #toyota-lexus area and post your results there. Lots of helpful people there. When I first attempted this on a completely unsupported vehicle (Ram 3500, lifted + 40 inch tires + steeering stablizers which completely threw off the EPS readings), they jumped in and and helped me to make it work. Had similar problem at first. As soon as I engage the ACC to activate the Comma, it would turn off (but I had a different error). they had me send in the error code (vida the UI). Finally, they had me drive + reproduce the errors, then get to a wifi spot to upload the logs (there is a method within Sunny Pilot to do this). All of this is documented withint he discord server's how to / installation help section.

Keep us posted. Once I get my cables this week, I will begin the tests and hopefully be able to contribute more.
Old 02-06-24, 07:24 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Recheck all connections and inspect the harness + remove & reconnect the obd2 connector, and try again (manually reboot also).

https://github.com/commaai/openpilot/issues/20109
Old 02-06-24, 10:04 AM
edsel
Driver School Candidate

As usual, it wasn't a connection problem.

Today I succeeded in driving the 2021 LC on the Comma 3x by using the Sunnypilot fork and specifying the 2019 Toyota Avalon on the recognized car list. Worked very well on the highway, less well on city streets but well enough to proceed with a little steering assist now and then. However, braking is a problem, as it will not slow and stop when approaching cars already stopped at an intersection. I'd let it run as long as I could, eventually slamming brakes manually, so further work is required to use in town.

So the LC is available as an autopilot controlled car after all, at least in highway conditions! It does steer well and follows lanes and preceding cars exactly, which is good enough to cross the country without fatigue. In the flying business, autopilot's true use is as a mental fatigue preventer, as cars and airplanes can be operated very well by a monkey. But constant control requires constant decision making; after a only a few decisions your performance will suffer. On arrival to a congested flying or driving environment requiring rapid planning and execution to enable a landing at LAX or city downtown access, you must be sharp, so that's the true point of not being on the controls during the middle of a trip.

Hope the LC will soon join the officially supported roster.

The following users liked this post:
asong1 (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 10:11 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Did you turn on all available experimental modes, and disable the radar? I will test this, but at least on the honda civic, when you disable the radar, and turn on the experimental modes, it will enable 'visual' longitudinal controls. It's amazing! keeps up with the traffic, stop & go. Recognizes stop signs and comes to a full stop. As for the stop lights, it recognizes green, yellow and green lights and handles them all flawlessly.
Old 02-06-24, 10:11 AM
asong1
Intermediate

I can't wait til next week for my cables to arrive. Sooo excited!!!
Old 02-06-24, 10:23 AM
asong1
Intermediate

As usual, it wasn't a connection problem.

Today I succeeded in driving the 2021 LC on the Comma 3x by using the Sunnypilot fork and specifying the 2019 Toyota Avalon on the recognized car list. Worked very well on the highway, less well on city streets but well enough to proceed with a little steering assist now and then. However, braking is a problem, as it will not slow and stop when approaching cars already stopped at an intersection. I'd let it run as long as I could, eventually slamming brakes manually, so further work is required to use in town.

So the LC is available as an autopilot controlled car after all, at least in highway conditions! It does steer well and follows lanes and preceding cars exactly, which is good enough to cross the country without fatigue. In the flying business, autopilot's true use is as a mental fatigue preventer, as cars and airplanes can be operated very well by a monkey. But constant control requires constant decision making; after a only a few decisions your performance will suffer. On arrival to a congested flying or driving environment requiring rapid planning and execution to enable a landing at LAX or city downtown access, you must be sharp, so that's the true point of not being on the controls during the middle of a trip.

Hope the LC will soon join the officially supported roster.
One more thing regarding the steering torque deficiencies and required interventions. On the civic, I also ran into this, but as you drive more, the Ai model continues learn and improves, especially higher speed cornering. Same goes for the stop n go, traffic light stop n go + stop sign management. keep an eye on it, and keep using it. It gets better and better.

Now that you have it working, try to see if earlier models of similar wieght / height improves or not. From what I saw ES Hybrid may be the best target since it is the heaviest out of all listed vehicles there (LC is much heavier). I'm sure these officially supported vehicles have the correct weight / physics calibration already done. Sunny Pilot also has 'Self Tune' feature. All things worth experimenting with.
Old 02-06-24, 04:46 PM
asong1
Intermediate

I think we can safely assume that Sunny Pilot fork of Open Pilot works great on the LC. I think we just need to confirm this on the 2018 LC 500. If anyone here who has 2018 LC, and want to give this a try, please give it a go and report back here. I don't see why it shouldn't work. For those who are not familiar with the Comma Ai, there are tons of installation instructions on various vehicles on youtube. You just need to purchase a Comma 3X unit and choose Toyota A harness. Purchase it as if you are getting one for the 2022 Corolla. Once you get it, install it. When the unit first comes on, make sure you are near a wifi source. Once connected to wifi, then it will ask you to enter a URL for the software download. Use this 'Sunny Pilot' link:

Short url bit.ly/sp-release-c3
Full URL (if the short url doesn't work for you): smiskol.com/fork/sunnyhaibin/release-c3

Follow the rest of the training / disclaimers. Go to settings and change the vehicle to: 2019 Avalon (pre-2024), or 2022 Corolla for the 24 models. There may be other year / car combos that may work. I would suggest you look thorugh the sunny pilot website, or the discord server's installation wiki / help section to understand what all the features and toggles do.

After choosing the vehicle, it should download and complete the install. I'd highly recommnd that manually reboot (under settings). Go for a drive, and it should begin to automatically calibrate above certan speed. Once the calibration reaches 100%, you can start using it. Comma Ai will take over the adaptive cruise function. Whenever you engage adaptive cruise, comma ai will engage and take over the driving. Once you get the feel of how it works, you can explore the settings and toggle on / off different settings, inlcuding the experimental modes (they are awesome).

Be safe and enjoy!
GS3Tek (02-06-24)
Old 02-07-24, 08:35 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Did a very quick test uisng the 22 Corolla driving model on 24 LC Convertible. Can't speak for pre-24 model LCs, but using the Corrolla model, this thing immediatley drove flawlessly around the city. Will test more but in term of the torque control, this is by far best cornering torque control out of all the vehicles I've tested. Took a steep curve at 45MPH in the city without breaking a sweat. If time allows, I'm going to test several different heavier vehicle models to see what elese with 'experimental settings enabled' driving models will work on the LC. But so far, 22 Corolla model worked amazingly.

@maraca which Corolla model did you use? I'm not seeing a 23 model for the US based corollas. Did you mean 22 Corolla, or did you use one of the 23 Corolla models for non-US vehicle?
Old 02-08-24, 11:23 AM
edsel
Driver School Candidate

The 2019-2022 Toyota Avalon model seems to be working well. The LC and Avalon are the same 113 inch wheelbase for one thing, though the LC is 500 lbs heavier.

It seems pre-24 LC's use the Toyota/Lexus Safety System Plus, TSS+ or LSS+, version possibly being 2, while the 24 has LSS+ version 2.5. The new version adds capability to dodge obstacles and similar high level functions. It seems previous TSS+/LSS+ cars can use OP "Experimental" features if the car's Driver Support Unit, or DSU, is unplugged...though that eliminates the original automatic emergency braking function...and then Openpilot optical following distance and auto-resume should become available. If so, an Etsy seller seems to offer a modified DSU that brings back AEB. I'll try unplugging it if I can find it, perhaps in the dash around the glovebox.

So far the autopilot is very good on the highway using the Avalon setting, fairly usable on city streets with manual assists at turns. It may be good to set a custom lateral offset to drive the car a few inches to the left, being 2.8" wider than the Avalon.
asong1 (02-08-24)
Old 02-08-24, 12:02 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Since confirming briefly last night, I spend some time today tucking everything in. Removed teh A-Pillar trim and finished the clean install. I will now go and test more to see what is available on Sunny Pilot under Corolla. For some reason I got a CAN error using the Avalon model. I don't exactly know how the code base works. For instance, regardless of which car model you choose, does comma scan the ECM to determine what is capable on the 'physical vehicle' or does it assume you have or don't have certain features based on the driving model you choose?

I'm going to try various different models today to see what vehicle driving models work on the 24 LC. last night when I initially tried it on the Avalon, it didn't work. Received a CAN error. Maybe I needed to be patient and reboot, but immediatley switched to Corolla, and the system rebooted automatically based on that. I'll try again, this time see if the ES350 would work or not since it's the heaviest of the bunch. I think with many more getting this to work, it should make it much easier for the devs to look at the log files, and have it officially finger-printed so that Comma's Open Pilot / manin branch of code will officially support the LC. That would be awesome. We need more people to jump on this 'exciting' bandwagon.

2 days ago, I drive from VA to NC via 2 interstates (64 & 95). Comma Ai drove the entire way in the Civic with radar turned off, and using visual AI & Neural Network Latereral controls. It drives better than I do!

@edsel were you able to confirm if the 2019 Avalon driving model supports 'stop sign' management? As you drive, and if you come across a stop sign, it should slow down and automatically come to a full stop. Also, please let us know how it did on stop light - stop n go (This may only be in the experimental mode)
Old 02-08-24, 12:02 PM
asong1
Intermediate

@edsel regarding the device on Etsy, are you referring to the 'Comma Pedal'? Have link?
Old 02-08-24, 01:12 PM
asong1
Intermediate

No more hacking. At least 2024 LC 500 is now Officially Supported!!!!

https://www.comma.ai/vehicles#lexus

Old 02-08-24, 01:22 PM
asong1
Intermediate

i’ve just downloaded the OpenPilot and installed. got an error / unrecognized car.. will submit a bug report

Quick Reply: Comma Ai / OpenPilot on LC (Level 2 Autonomy)