LC Model (2018-present)

Comma Ai / OpenPilot on LC (Level 2 Autonomy)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 02:53 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

@maraca o what is your model specifically? Coupe? also, do you have 4 wheel steering?

im on the discord channel working with the devs. and because you are using the hack car models, Comma has no idea you or I are out there. can you join the comma discord channel, and specifically #LC2024Port ? They have 2 convertible owners but need a coupe owner with all wheel steering to gather data.
Old 02-08-24, 03:41 PM
asong1
Intermediate

For anyone who is using Comma Ai with rear wheel steering, please let me know!
Old 02-09-24, 06:58 AM
edsel
Driver School Candidate

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
@edsel regarding the device on Etsy, are you referring to the 'Comma Pedal'? Have link?
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BearTechWorkshop

Smart DSU, and the current price is probably a mistake due to being out of inventory. A used one sold for 200 on ebay.
Old 02-09-24, 01:25 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edsel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BearTechWorkshop

Smart DSU, and the current price is probably a mistake due to being out of inventory. A used one sold for 200 on ebay.
You should seriously consider joining discord. They've inivted you to join and offered to help you. I have been telling them about this thread. https://discord.comma.ai/ look under #toyta-lexus then sub channel: #LC2024Port. It's not just for the 2024. They are trying to get the whole

Old 02-10-24, 04:42 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edsel
The 2019-2022 Toyota Avalon model seems to be working well. The LC and Avalon are the same 113 inch wheelbase for one thing, though the LC is 500 lbs heavier.

It seems pre-24 LC's use the Toyota/Lexus Safety System Plus, TSS+ or LSS+, version possibly being 2, while the 24 has LSS+ version 2.5. The new version adds capability to dodge obstacles and similar high level functions. It seems previous TSS+/LSS+ cars can use OP "Experimental" features if the car's Driver Support Unit, or DSU, is unplugged...though that eliminates the original automatic emergency braking function...and then Openpilot optical following distance and auto-resume should become available. If so, an Etsy seller seems to offer a modified DSU that brings back AEB. I'll try unplugging it if I can find it, perhaps in the dash around the glovebox.

So far the autopilot is very good on the highway using the Avalon setting, fairly usable on city streets with manual assists at turns. It may be good to set a custom lateral offset to drive the car a few inches to the left, being 2.8" wider than the Avalon.
Here is what I've learned about the offset and other features. If you enable auto tuning on Sunny Pilot, it really doesn't matter. As an example, in our case, we are using either Avalon, Corolla & ES models. These models all have different 'starting point' values. But as you drive around, comma learns over time and self-tunes the values that best fits the vehicle based. This usually takes few hours of driving in total for the values to normalize and tune to your specific vehicle.
Old 02-10-24, 04:53 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nomoreeuro
Having this functionality on the LC 500 would almost get me to switch from my GS F. I have Open Pilot running on my 2016 GS F, but due to the limitations of a ACC, the system will deactivate below 20mph. My primary use is just for long open stretches of road, but it's cool that the LC 500 could be upgraded to this functionality.

I'm curious how OpenPilot is able to merge onto the highway without and side view cameras though. Is it able to utilize the signals from the blindspot monitoring system?
@nomoreeuro What year / Trim is your LC 500? Is it a Coupe? If so, do you have variable steering, or rear wheel steering? I am gathering as much info as possible to let the Comma Devs know who's out there doing what so that we can accelerate official support for all LC models.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-24, 07:06 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Some update for you guys who are watching this thread. Comma Ai will have official support at least for 24 model when they release the new version. In the mean time, if you want to try this out, please use this link to install:

installer.comma.ai/commaai/master-ci

I can confirm that it works flawlessly on my 24 LC Convertible. They need more data from Coupe models + prior years if possible. If you have the device installed, please give this a try and provide feedback. Thanks!

It's pretty some:
1. Auto Lane Change
2. Amazing amount of torque for steering (drives better than me)
3. Automatically slows down as it takes on sharp curves
4. Stop Light recognition (slows down on yellow also). Full auto stop and go at red lights
Intelligently stops exactly at the white stopping point at lights (even I don't do this)
5. 'almost' makes 90 degree turns on left or right stop lights after coming to a full stop on red.

We are lucky. At least up to 24 year models, Toyota has left the ECM alone and did not implement the TSK (Toyota Security Key). Those that have it, Comma Ai doesn't work. It's been this way for 3 years now I think. But up to 24, it's completely open. I'm so glad I got the 24 year model + with LSS 2.5+, and Comma Ai, Full 90 degree tunrns are possible. And with future software updates, end to end navigation based automatic driving will also be possible with the steering rack hardware that's already in the LCs with LSS 2.5+.

Give it a go. You'll love it. I promise. This is the the ULTIMATE long distance / grand tourer.

Last edited by asong1; 02-18-24 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-29-24, 05:41 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Has anyone tried this on a Coupe w/ rear wheel steering? For the Convertible model, it works flawlessly (2024). If you are interested in this, or are already using it, your input would be greatly appreciate it. It's amazing, and it already support my car flawlessly. Just trying to spread the word and more support for the different year models + coupe models. It should work, but until we have confimation from a coupe owner, we just don't know at this point. It seems all of the users on the Comma Ai discord channel are all convertbiel owners.

Last edited by asong1; 02-29-24 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-08-24, 12:02 PM
djKidStylz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on if Comma can work on Pre-2024 models? It seems like there is a bit of a difference in that pre-2024 models use TSS+ or LSS+, but that shouldn't be a big deal since other Comma compatible cars use TSS+ or LSS+.