LC Model (2018-present)

Small rattle on drivers side dash board….

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 05:00 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Small rattle on drivers side dash board….

So I have owned 3 Lexus’s in the past and never, ever had a rattle. Crazy, but here we go with a rattle that comes and goes right ( I think) at the drivers side dashboard speaker or hud window. Crazy, because it comes and goes, and when it goes ,it disappears for an hour or so. I know I sound like an unacceptable owner, but I absolutely “Love” this car and no way should there be this rattle. The bummer is to take it to the dealer and then it is silent, you look like a clown 🤗. Any ideas or thoughts what it could be. I know I have not been on this forum for awhile, so please patient and understand that I am a true Lexus fan! Not a crazy complainer or a waste of this forum’s time! Thank you!
Old 01-30-24, 08:32 PM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
So I have owned 3 Lexus’s in the past and never, ever had a rattle. Crazy, but here we go with a rattle that comes and goes right ( I think) at the drivers side dashboard speaker or hud window. Crazy, because it comes and goes, and when it goes ,it disappears for an hour or so. I know I sound like an unacceptable owner, but I absolutely “Love” this car and no way should there be this rattle. The bummer is to take it to the dealer and then it is silent, you look like a clown 🤗. Any ideas or thoughts what it could be. I know I have not been on this forum for awhile, so please patient and understand that I am a true Lexus fan! Not a crazy complainer or a waste of this forum’s time! Thank you!
I don’t feel you are an “unacceptable owner” for wanting to have a squeak free car. And I bet Lexus wants you to have a squeak free car.

We pay for the Lexus quality, and that includes squeak free build quality.

Take your car for a drive and have your passenger record the squeaking noise.
Make an appointment with your Lexus dealer to address your concern, acknowledge that it is intermittent, and share your video/sound memo with the service advisor so they know it does exist. You can send the video/sound memo to the advisor for sharing with the technician.

I purchased a new luxury Audi sedan and it had an intermittent dash rattle. I made an appointment to address the rattle because I couldn’t accept it.

The rattle did present on the technician test drive. There also was a TSB (technical service bulletin) for the concern. The technician spent 1.5 days addressing, test driving, addressing, test driving, repeat, until the rattle was resolved.

The car is now rattle free, the way it should be.

You may wish to diagnose and correct yourself. But if you can’t resolve it yourself, I strongly encourage you to speak with your dealership (salesperson and service advisor).
Your salesperson may refer you to a particular service advisor with whom they have a favourable rapport.

Your car should be rattle free. 👍

Old 01-30-24, 08:55 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Thank you, unfortunately the rattle comes and goes. Took it the dealer this afternoon and of course, he heard nothing. He thought it was my radar detector, which 100 percent it is not. So crazy, especially when a rattle comes and goes and is not constant! I left it overnight so we will see what tomorrow brings. What a bummer, out of all the rattle free LC’s out there, my new one comes with a rattle. Super, super bummed!
Old 02-01-24, 09:07 PM
Fester
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it a faint / soft rattle or well defined?
Old 03-31-24, 07:16 AM
woodranch
Pit Crew

The rattle had come back. Unfortunately it comes and goes. It might be the metal clips , from what I read, that is in between the dash and windshield. Other owners says Lexus removed the dash and added more interior felt around the clips, but I truly don’t want the dash removed and put back. I thought it might be coming from under the dash, but that is not the case. It is driving my nuts to find it…..no luck though.
Old 03-31-24, 08:29 AM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Have a passenger ride with you and keep pressing on different areas around where the rattle is coming from to see if it stops, that will help locate the area for you.
Old 03-31-24, 12:08 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Thanks NiceCars, unfortunately it is right over the drivers side dash. It is making me nuts because I have tried everything! I have stuffed weather stripping in between the windshield and dash, no luck. As I mentioned before, it does seem like a loose clip or a metal rattle when it appears…..then it is completely silent for hours. That is why the dealership will have a very tough time helping me! I absolutely love this car, however never in a billion years would I think I would have a rattle issue with a Lexus!
Old 03-31-24, 12:12 PM
Enzo954
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 61 Posts

I get some creaking plastic type of sounds sometimes coming from the passenger side. If I grasp the grab handle that whole section screaks a little. Also, if I push on that snap on lengthy leather section above the glove box it creaks a bit. Annoying!
The following users liked this post:
woodranch (03-31-24)
Old 03-31-24, 02:52 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Enzo954, you just accept the rattle and deal with it, or did you try and have the dealer help. I know I will find some solution and am scouring the web for dash rattling 🤔
Old 04-01-24, 10:56 AM
Ksolodar
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Could it be this?
The following users liked this post:
NiceCars (04-01-24)
Old 04-01-24, 12:49 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Ksolodar, it could be. Are suggesting removing it or just push down on it to be sure clips are attached? Or try and shove some insulation felt inside it. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-24, 01:06 PM
Ksolodar
Rookie

Most of the clips are molded onto the panel and if they are like others I've encountered they are textured. Over time and vibration that texture smooths out allowing more friction, so pushing on it hard could make it worse. A slight wiggle will tell you if that is your culprit. What I've done, like with the "leather" pad on the glove box is to take the thinnest felt tape I could find and put a piece on each wide side of the opening the clips insert into. Helps secure the panel and keeps the clips from vibrating. That is, of course, if this panel is the source. So many clips on this car....
Old 04-01-24, 01:21 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Thanks, I will give it a quick wiggle and see. I really believe it is some type of metal clips right where the dash meets the windshield. Do you know if there are clips holding the dash in below the windshield?
Old 04-01-24, 01:47 PM
Ksolodar
Rookie

I believe they are plastic or nylon. There are 5 total and serve as more of a ledge support. The dashboard is secured by 8 bolts to the frame. The defroster vent panel is clipped to the dash and held in place with 4 screws. On my old LS460 most of the upper dash noises came from the speakers or their covers. The covers clip in place, the speakers are bolted. Those bolts can work loose, especially if you listen to loud music.
Old 04-01-24, 02:03 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 876 Likes on 608 Posts

The Alcantara cover has 3 black tabs that slide in the slots under the windshield. If you take that off you can inspect the 3 screws shown in the first picture. The second picture is with the next layer off. I recommend using a trim pry bar style tool to pull out on the tabs around the lower part of the gauge cluster. I wasn't able to get my fingers behind there.

Quick Reply: Small rattle on drivers side dash board….