LC Model (2018-present)

Apple maps integrated with HUD

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 06:46 PM
maraca
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Apple maps integrated with HUD

Dont get me wrong, apple maps gets actual location wrong 2/10 times for me, so they still suck compared to google. But today I discovered that apple maps are integrated with HUD and project turn by turn nav on the windshield. That is actually very convenient.

what was your unexpected discovery today?
Old 01-30-24, 06:49 PM
FranknStein
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That is good to hear. So it doesn’t work if you use google maps in CarPlay?
Old 01-30-24, 07:43 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Not aware of any carplay on any cars that provide navigation directions on HUD. Its always Apple Maps, or built in infotainment navigation system. Haven't tried Anroid Auto. Actually, I'm curious. I'll give it Android Auto a try and see if Google or Wayze displays directions on the HUD or the dash.
The following users liked this post:
maraca (01-30-24)
Old 01-31-24, 05:29 AM
FranknStein
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
Not aware of any carplay on any cars that provide navigation directions on HUD. Its always Apple Maps, or built in infotainment navigation system. Haven't tried Anroid Auto. Actually, I'm curious. I'll give it Android Auto a try and see if Google or Wayze displays directions on the HUD or the dash.
I know newer versions of CarPlay offer more integration besides just the center screen. I was watching a video of the new Macan EV for instance, and CarPlay directions were also shown on the cockpit display. If this is the case, it seems they could be displayed on the HUD as well. I’m not sure if this only works for Apple Maps, or if it can also work with google maps or Waze. From my personal experience Apple Maps is just as good as google maps, but many people seem to disagree.

I know there is also a feature where CarPlay can read an EV car’s battery status and navigate automatically to chargers, so newer versions of CarPlay seem to be offering deeper integration.

I’ll have to see how much I like the built-in navigation when my LC arrives. People complain about Teslas not having CarPlay or Android Auto, but I don’t miss it. The built-in navigation and music playback is so good on my Tesla I don’t really care. I think some people just really like using Waze because of it tells you about speed cameras and whatnot.
The following users liked this post:
asong1 (01-31-24)
Old 01-31-24, 05:43 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by FranknStein
I know newer versions of CarPlay offer more integration besides just the center screen. I was watching a video of the new Macan EV for instance, and CarPlay directions were also shown on the cockpit display. If this is the case, it seems they could be displayed on the HUD as well. I’m not sure if this only works for Apple Maps, or if it can also work with google maps or Waze. From my personal experience Apple Maps is just as good as google maps, but many people seem to disagree.

I know there is also a feature where CarPlay can read an EV car’s battery status and navigate automatically to chargers, so newer versions of CarPlay seem to be offering deeper integration.

I’ll have to see how much I like the built-in navigation when my LC arrives. People complain about Teslas not having CarPlay or Android Auto, but I don’t miss it. The built-in navigation and music playback is so good on my Tesla I don’t really care. I think some people just really like using Waze because of it tells you about speed cameras and whatnot.
Yeah, for me Google Maps & Waze is very important.
Old 01-31-24, 07:53 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 633 Likes on 335 Posts

this is likely a 2024+ only perk. I dont think our older models, even with carplay, has this integration (albeit i dont use apple maps)
Old 02-02-24, 08:32 PM
Fester
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes it’s convenient, I discovered it the first day. I don’t really use the hud tho, it feels like distraction. I turned it off in other cars too..lol
Old 02-02-24, 08:58 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Fester
Yes it’s convenient, I discovered it the first day. I don’t really use the hud tho, it feels like distraction. I turned it off in other cars too..lol
Same here. HUD is off...Information overload.
Old 02-03-24, 12:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^^I didn't use it at first, but now I think it's pretty OK I have it projected as low as it will go and still be in view!
Old 02-04-24, 10:20 AM
jamster330
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 2018 w/ Apply CarPlay installed from the dealer. I know Google Maps doesn't work for sure but wondering if Apple Maps might.