LC Model (2018-present)

LC convertible, 2024 vs. 2021-2023

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-24, 10:28 AM
JDesmo
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LC convertible, 2024 vs. 2021-2023

I've been thinking about a worthy successor to my beloved Jag XKR convertible . She is a rare Indigo Blue/Blue top over two tone Ivory/Charcoal. The LC is probably at the top of my list, and I've scheduled a test drive at my dealer in a new 24 model. Interestingly, the MSRP of my XKR as optioned was $103,500 back 11 years ago!
For those who are very fortunate to have experience with both the new 24 and previous 21-23 iteration of the LC: is the driving dynamics improved or noticeably different? (ride, handling, steering, braking, NVH, ease of use, etc.)
I'm asking since based on some vids on YT, I'm not overly crazy about the new infotainment touchscreen integration in the dash and the omission of the analog clock.

Last edited by JDesmo; 02-28-24 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-28-24, 01:17 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JDesmo
For those who are very fortunate to have experience with both the new 24 and previous 21-23 iteration of the LC: is the driving dynamics improved or noticeably different? (ride, handling, steering, braking, NVH, ease of use, etc.)
I'm asking since based on some vids on YT, I'm not overly crazy about the new infotainment touchscreen integration in the dash and the omission of the analog clock.
I owned a '21 convertible in Nightfall Mica and now a '24 convertible in Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0. A few points on the differences:
  1. Lexus says they tweak the suspension every year, it's just fine tuning at this point. 2018 to 2021/2024 is a pretty big difference, as the early cars were reportedly a bit of a rougher ride. Between my two cars ('21 vs '24) I can't tell a difference in the ride. Both cars also had the same Michelin tires.
  2. The complaints about the pre-'24 infotainment are overblown, especially the climate control complaints. I never, not once, ever went into the menus to try to tweak the seat heat/cool with the little mousepad. Climate Concierge being on and using the dash buttons to set temp handle the seat heat/cool, steering wheel, climate control etc worked perfectly for me. With that said...
  3. I personally find the pre-'24 interior to be better looking than the '24+. All the goofy reviewers who couldn't figure out #2 above in only a week with the car basically forced Lexus to put that goofy display on the dash.
  4. The technical upgrades -- 360-camera, lane tracing assist -- are worth ignoring the complaints for #3 above. Especially the lane tracing assist. The pre-'24 Lane Keeping Assist is practically useless. The Lane Tracing Assist for 2024 works great, especially on the highway. So if you plan on putting a ton of miles on the car and want the best cruise tech, I strongly advise the '24+.
  5. 2024 is the first year of the "bespoke" process for convertibles. If you can find a good dealer to order a bespoke LC through, the process is worth it. I had a lot of complaints about my '21 -- I didn't love the wheels, I liked the dark trim from the inspiration edition -- and ordering a bespoke in 2024 fixed all of those complaints. I also like blue cars, and the Ultrasonic Blue color on my '24 is big improvement over the Nightfall Mica on my '21.
Long story short, my advice would be to order a bespoke LC convertible for MY2025. Not that the pre-'24 car is bad, it's really good. But a combination of the tech upgrades with the ability to get exactly what you want in 2025 is what you expect at this price point.

The following 3 users liked this post by jbuffett:
bitkahuna (02-28-24), dknyov (03-01-24), ragabnh (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 03:05 PM
cwest13
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jbuffett
Long story short, my advice would be to order a bespoke LC convertible for MY2025.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you can get the LSD or dampers on a bespoke convertible. Those are important to me, so a big bummer since I was very interested in a bespoke USB/white convertible. Might have to go with Nori and caramel.
Old 02-28-24, 05:13 PM
xwndycty
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts

I owned a '21 convertible in Nightfall Mica and now a '24 convertible in Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0. A few points on the differences:
  1. Lexus says they tweak the suspension every year, it's just fine tuning at this point. 2018 to 2021/2024 is a pretty big difference, as the early cars were reportedly a bit of a rougher ride. Between my two cars ('21 vs '24) I can't tell a difference in the ride. Both cars also had the same Michelin tires.
  2. The complaints about the pre-'24 infotainment are overblown, especially the climate control complaints. I never, not once, ever went into the menus to try to tweak the seat heat/cool with the little mousepad. Climate Concierge being on and using the dash buttons to set temp handle the seat heat/cool, steering wheel, climate control etc worked perfectly for me. With that said...
  3. I personally find the pre-'24 interior to be better looking than the '24+. All the goofy reviewers who couldn't figure out #2 above in only a week with the car basically forced Lexus to put that goofy display on the dash.
  4. The technical upgrades -- 360-camera, lane tracing assist -- are worth ignoring the complaints for #3 above. Especially the lane tracing assist. The pre-'24 Lane Keeping Assist is practically useless. The Lane Tracing Assist for 2024 works great, especially on the highway. So if you plan on putting a ton of miles on the car and want the best cruise tech, I strongly advise the '24+.
  5. 2024 is the first year of the "bespoke" process for convertibles. If you can find a good dealer to order a bespoke LC through, the process is worth it. I had a lot of complaints about my '21 -- I didn't love the wheels, I liked the dark trim from the inspiration edition -- and ordering a bespoke in 2024 fixed all of those complaints. I also like blue cars, and the Ultrasonic Blue color on my '24 is big improvement over the Nightfall Mica on my '21.
Long story short, my advice would be to order a bespoke LC convertible for MY2025. Not that the pre-'24 car is bad, it's really good. But a combination of the tech upgrades with the ability to get exactly what you want in 2025 is what you expect at this price point.

@jbuffett I couldn't agree more with several of the points you made re: your 2021 vs.. 2024 (especially the unfounded + endless complaints about the track point). I drive a 2023 cloudburst gray/caramel /blk top conv't and have thoroughly enjoyed every moment over last 14 months (it just turned 5K miles). I, too love the USB 2.0 w/the caramel interior (w/black top) and the other 2024 feature upgrades - but not enough to trade up for a new bespoke build...at least not right now. Congrats on continuing your series of owning gorgeous blue cars (I always wanted a blue NSX but 'settled' for a red one way back in the late 90's). All the best!
The following users liked this post:
jbuffett (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 06:55 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cwest13
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you can get the LSD or dampers on a bespoke convertible. Those are important to me, so a big bummer since I was very interested in a bespoke USB/white convertible. Might have to go with Nori and caramel.
Mine has both the LSD and adjustable suspension dampers. The LSD isn't a stand-alone option but (per my dealer, who confirmed with Lexus corporate) it's on the car.
Old 02-28-24, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by cwest13
about the 'dampers' you might be mixing up adjustable suspension (which they all have) with the yamaha damper (singular) which goes horizontally across the back, but i don't think is on any convertible?
Old 02-28-24, 08:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^^It sure is:

Old 02-29-24, 08:01 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^It sure is:
I meant it's not a stand-alone option in the bespoke LC buying process. There's no code for it. Per my dealer, who confirmed it with corporate before I'd commit to buying the car, it's included with the bespoke package.
Old 02-29-24, 03:22 PM
cwest13
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I meant it's not a stand-alone option in the bespoke LC buying process. There's no code for it. Per my dealer, who confirmed it with corporate before I'd commit to buying the car, it's included with the bespoke package.
Interesting, bizarre of Lexus to not include it visible in an option, but if it's part of the Bespoke package that makes sense. Looking good for a USB/white LC 500 'vert
Old 02-29-24, 05:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

In Canada, I think the LSD/dampers are standard equipment even for non-bespoke convertible from day one the convertible was introduced.
Old 03-01-24, 07:12 AM
dknyov
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
In Canada, I think the LSD/dampers are standard equipment even for non-bespoke convertible from day one the convertible was introduced.
Mine is 2021 vert bought in US when it was introduced has that $460 option.