LC Model (2018-present)

Coupe vs. Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 03:29 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

OP - I test drove both Coupe and Conv. I assume you are a northeasterner like me and will drive top up sometimes at least. As mentioned by one of the conv owners, with the top up, the rear view out of the conv is noticeably smaller than with the coupe. If it was me and I lived in MA, it would be the coupe and not the conv. Plus the conv is heavier and I could feel a small penalty on responsiveness when you stab the gas pedal between coupe (better ) and conv ( less good than the coupe ).
Old 04-21-24, 04:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by abshapiro
I need a favor. Can someone provide the depth of the LC500 hardtop trunk. I have to place a handicap (stability) walker in the trunk. The trunk on a convertible is not deep enough. I hope the hardtop trunk is deeper because space to store the convertible soft top is no longer needed. This is the final thing I need to check off before I purchase a LC500. Thank you.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/22/...vHYSdN6wxRSB8U

Lou
The following users liked this post:
abshapiro (04-22-24)
Old 04-22-24, 02:19 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
I’m back to looking at an LC500. Lol. Been back and forth about it but I think this time is it because USB2.0 is finally available and obtainable on an LC500.
My dilemma is choosing between a coupe and convertible. Where I live, probably more days that are too cold(below 50s) and rainy/snowy than sunny warm days in a year. Not sure if convertible is a good idea.
I like the coupe because it offers the performance package with rear wheel steer. Not sure how much this matters though. It also offer more room in the back seat that my two young kids can probably ride in. However, the coupe feels cramped and claustrophobic without the ability to open the top. And once I go bespoke on a coupe, it seems there’s no way to get the performance package and add the rear wheel steer. But if I don’t do a bespoke, there’s not way to add dark chrome trim. Wtf Lexus??
I also like the convertible because it offers better driving experience with the sound of the car with the top open.
Here's my USB 2.0 with caramel interior, which I feel is a necessity (if not selecting the blue top / white interior) just for parking it somewhere with the top down.

A couple of years ago I did a rally in my '21 LC500 convertible (a Nightfall Mica / caramel car), it was two days from Denver to Moab then Moab to Vegas. I was the only convertible in the group, we had a number of 911's, Mustangs, Alfas etc. Most of the rural straight highway cruising was done at near-triple-digit speeds, we had the top up for those bits. Not as quiet as a coupe obviously but the top is double lined and well insulated. Then we'd hit a slow curvy spot, top down. The best part was when we got to Zion National Park the second day. Top down, 25 MPH through the canyon / tunnel enjoying the sights and sounds. Easily the best car for that part.

There is no age where your kids will be comfortable in the back seat of the convertible for longer than an hour or two, the rear seats are too upright and if you're an even averaged size driver you're going to squish their legs behind you. As you've probably seen, the space for the convertible top cuts well into the trunk and rear seat space.

I personally think it will have to come down to how much and what type of driving you do. If it's you and one passenger driving a few hours away on interesting roads in perfect weather, the convertible is probably the better choice. If it's you and the family on a Sunday drive to a destination in varying weather, the coupe is probably the better choice.

Would love to hear why you guys chose one over the other. I never had a coupe or a convertible. Just sedans and SUV. Either way, this will be my trophy car replacing my GSF. I’ve owned the GSF for over 2 years and put less than 5K miles. I have my other daily.
Is your GS-F an ultrasonic blue car as well? Sweet car regardless. I had an '11 GS460 and that car was perfect, the GS-F was a little harder edged, almost like Lexus was getting annoyed with being perceived as soft and squishy.
The following 3 users liked this post by jbuffett:
2959 (04-22-24), bitkahuna (04-22-24), smellLC (04-25-24)
Old 04-23-24, 06:15 AM
Cooker883
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

If you’ve never owned a convertible, by all means get this one. After owning it for a while you’ll realize you’ve made a terrible mistake. But look on the bright side. It’s a mistake you won’t make again; and now you don’t have to say you’ve never owned a convertible.
Old 04-23-24, 06:27 AM
ronkelley
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooker883
If you’ve never owned a convertible, by all means get this one. After owning it for a while you’ll realize you’ve made a terrible mistake. But look on the bright side. It’s a mistake you won’t make again; and now you don’t have to say you’ve never owned a convertible.
--

That's right. Spend your life just doing what you've always done and dream of all the things you could have done. I'm sure when you're old, you'll remember how careful you were and never really fulfilled your quest for happiness because you wanted to be "safe".

Or do something exciting and new and enhance your life and experience the thrill of your hair blowing and feeling the air rushing around you with delicious smells and caresses and causing a big smile on your face. Can you do it every day and all year? No. But when you can...

--
2959 (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 06:35 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 113 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooker883
I thought about this, not having ever owned a convertible. But decided that my first "dream" car and my first "auto experiment" don't fit well together on a Venn diagram. Instead I'm going to take your advice and apply it to a used Miata that I can sell for a minimal loss 4 months later. Just need to convince the family that I need to buy two 2-doors this year.
Old 04-23-24, 06:41 AM
Cooker883
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I really like all that business about hair blowing in the wind and sounds and smells, and the part about being adventurous and… free! If you do too, then do it right: get a motorcycle.
Old 04-23-24, 06:56 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

lifes too short, do what you want....few years back had a stroke, 2 heartbeats and ur life has changed.Luckily I had the "good" type of stroke and was back to normal in a few months. Woke me up.
2959 (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 07:12 AM
NickL
Racer

Received 428 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I'm going to have to wait for a coupe to show up and test drive it back to back with the convertible. I test drove the coupe many times.
I might end up with a 2023 convertible as there's still many around and price negotiation probably better than the '24. I like the dash better in the '23 or prior but that 360 camera is nice to have. However, I rarely pull into a parking space. Always back into it.
There's many convertibles around but new coupes are harder and harder to find.

Originally Posted by jbuffett
Is your GS-F an ultrasonic blue car as well? Sweet car regardless. I had an '11 GS460 and that car was perfect, the GS-F was a little harder edged, almost like Lexus was getting annoyed with being perceived as soft and squishy.
I've owned a few blue cars. And USB is the nicest blue to me. I like it better than the special structural blue that Lexus had on the launch edition of the LC.
I put snow wheels(RCF rims and Alpin 5) for use in the winter. I drove it after an 8"+ snowstorm and it did very well. But after a couple blocks from home, I asked myself wth am I doing and drove back home. Sprayed down the car inside the garage and store it through most of the winter. It has been a fair weather car to me and this is the reason why I think I should just get an LC500. Even though the GSF is a better handling and track car than the LC500, I don't do any of that stuff.
I will be getting winter wheels set up for the LC if I end up getting one. Not to use it in the snow but in the cold just in case I need to get the car out for some reason. For me, if it's snowing, I don't need to be out there. And if I do, the SUV is a better choice.
My USB 2020 GSF with winter wheels.

2959 (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 07:58 AM
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The price and dash layout were two big reasons I went with the 23 Convertible (95K before taxes). As said I'm used to the mouse, trackpad and touchscreen on other Lexus's I own. The 360 viewing on the RXL was helpful, but the vehicle was also used differently. The 360 view was probably more helpful for forward-in parking for the wife. Can't say I've used the touchscreen on the RXL much since it was a stretch just to reach it, so I just used the trackpad when needed which is usually only when CarPlay didn't auto connect. Once I setup the LC, I haven't used the trackpad much, using CarPlay exclusively anyway. Hot/Cold? I just adjust the temp controls and use the Climate Concierge, it controls the steering wheel and seat heat/cool automatically. I've also made it a point to back in and use the rear camera on the LC, hate backing out of a parking slot anyway.

Don't think you will be disappointed with either choice you make, once your in and driving it just becomes a big smile. My only disappointment so far is when I've got nowhere to go or the Suns not shining (that said, I have found myself sometimes just "going for a ride". I've never done that before in other vehicles).
Old 04-23-24, 09:59 AM
NickL
Racer

Received 428 Likes on 275 Posts

Dumb question. With the convertible, how much more wind noise compare to an open moonroof on the freeway. With the windows up.
Old 04-23-24, 10:25 AM
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Dumb question. With the convertible, how much more wind noise compare to an open moonroof on the freeway. With the windows up.
This was interesting about the Convertible; https://newsroom.lexus.eu/lexus-lc-c...plete-comfort/

With the top down, windows up I can hold a normal conversation. I can also hold a normal conversation on the Cell phone and the other end does not complain. Put the windows down with the top down definitely creates more buffeting. This was on secondary roads, not at highway speeds.
Old 04-23-24, 10:32 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

I've owned a few blue cars. And USB is the nicest blue to me. I like it better than the special structural blue that Lexus had on the launch edition of the LC.
I put snow wheels(RCF rims and Alpin 5) for use in the winter. I drove it after an 8"+ snowstorm and it did very well. But after a couple blocks from home, I asked myself wth am I doing and drove back home. Sprayed down the car inside the garage and store it through most of the winter. It has been a fair weather car to me and this is the reason why I think I should just get an LC500. Even though the GSF is a better handling and track car than the LC500, I don't do any of that stuff.
I will be getting winter wheels set up for the LC if I end up getting one. Not to use it in the snow but in the cold just in case I need to get the car out for some reason. For me, if it's snowing, I don't need to be out there. And if I do, the SUV is a better choice.
This will be my third year at the Lexus Performance Driving School (COTA & Road Atlanta), some of the instructors had GS-F's for hot laps but they haven't been used by participants since I've been going ('22). I think they were used previously though, probably before the IS500 came along. With good tires on a nice day the LC500 is traction limited, you can feel the back end moving a little bit under hard acceleration in a corner. Not sure if the GS-F is the same way, but in both cases I'm sure that the right tires would make a huge difference in colder weather. I help run an offroading club here in Denver so I have a much better vehicle for bad weather.

Back in my sport sedan phase I'd have been first in line to buy that USB GS-F from you, that's a sweet car.

Old 04-23-24, 10:41 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 633 Likes on 335 Posts

this was my thought when i bought the LC vert.

If i wanted to drop the top and get a different experience in the convertible, i can do that. You dont have that flexibility in the coupe. thats it, thats the only reason.
The following 2 users liked this post by Badhobz:
2959 (04-24-24), NiceCars (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 01:42 PM
abshapiro
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice question. I don't know if wind noise from your car, or tire noise and wind buffeting from other vehicles would be the more dominant noise source on the Freeway. You can download a sound (decibel) meter app for your phone to conduct an experiment if you have access to a convertible and moonroof car.

Quick Reply: Coupe vs. Convertible