LC Model (2018-present)

Coupe vs. Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 07:37 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 378 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Coupe vs. Convertible

I’m back to looking at an LC500. Lol. Been back and forth about it but I think this time is it because USB2.0 is finally available and obtainable on an LC500.
My dilemma is choosing between a coupe and convertible. Where I live, probably more days that are too cold(below 50s) and rainy/snowy than sunny warm days in a year. Not sure if convertible is a good idea.
I like the coupe because it offers the performance package with rear wheel steer. Not sure how much this matters though. It also offer more room in the back seat that my two young kids can probably ride in. However, the coupe feels cramped and claustrophobic without the ability to open the top. And once I go bespoke on a coupe, it seems there’s no way to get the performance package and add the rear wheel steer. But if I don’t do a bespoke, there’s not way to add dark chrome trim. Wtf Lexus??
I also like the convertible because it offers better driving experience with the sound of the car with the top open.
Would love to hear why you guys chose one over the other. I never had a coupe or a convertible. Just sedans and SUV. Either way, this will be my trophy car replacing my GSF. I’ve owned the GSF for over 2 years and put less than 5K miles. I have my other daily.
The following users liked this post:
Nunz (05-08-24)
Old 04-20-24, 08:21 PM
rcho
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get the convertible.
The following 2 users liked this post by rcho:
2959 (04-21-24), NiceCars (04-21-24)
Old 04-20-24, 08:51 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Just to add here - it appears Mr. rcho owns a GSF, a closed 4 door sedan. Me, in Arizona, convertible country - I own and prefer the coupe. I have the glass roof, which stays open all the time However, if I were you I'd weigh the pros and cons and make a decision based on that, not what someone else thinks you should do

Lou
The following 3 users liked this post by flowrider:
2959 (04-21-24), finny76 (04-22-24), Nunz (05-08-24)
Old 04-20-24, 09:33 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

A hardtop is less trouble. More durable and better security. The rear steer and items of outside appearance will only be noticed if you try to pay attention. What will be the response of your family when you say "Let's go for a fun ride since it's such a nice day." ? With the top on, coups look sleeker than a convert with the top up.

Convertables inject a fun factor into driving when you want the free, open feeling. You won't find kids and passengers raising their hands and calling out "Whee!" in the coupe. Driving in poor weather in today's convertables isn't much different for comfort than in a coupe.

I'd just make a list of pro's and con's to see how each stack up.

--
The following 2 users liked this post by ronkelley:
2959 (04-21-24), finny76 (04-22-24)
Old 04-20-24, 09:35 PM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

I own a ‘24 convertible so I can’t comment on the driving qualities of the coupe.
This is a “fair weather” car for me; stored during the winter/poor weather months. I live in Ontario Canada so my “fair weather” car, whether coupe or convertible, will only be driven about 6 months a year. The open air experience adds significantly to my driving enjoyment of this vehicle so I intend to have the top down whenever I am driving this car.
How does the convertible drive?
It is a very comfortable GT car for two. Open the top and be treated to the aural music of the V8 exhaust.
Choose to put the top up and you see a beautifully finished and well insulated roof that yields an interior likely near as quiet as the coupe. Granted for rear visibility the convertible rear window isn’t as large as in the coupe. But I’m driving this vehicle with the top down.
The convertible chassis structure is very rigid. In back-to-back comparison drives I expect a critical driver would notice the greater structural rigidity of the coupe.
I do not have high speed driving or track driving intentions for this car.
The convertible does exactly what I want this “fair weather” car to do!
As others have suggested, note your list of wants and needs for this purchase to narrow the gap for which vehicle seems best on paper. Then locate a coupe and convertible to drive/experience to decide.
Have fun!

Last edited by AutoCrazy; 04-20-24 at 09:44 PM.
2959 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 06:17 AM
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Partial to the convertible since I have one (I'm not a race/performance, high-end knowledgeable car enthusiast). I like the choice of top up/down and coupled with the rear seat windscreen (top down, windows up). No complaints from the wife about hair along with using normal conversational voice (and using the windscreen no one can use the backseat regardless). Suns shining, the tops down! I've not had rear seat passengers in mine (yet), but I know with my seat position driving it ain't gonna be comfortable back there (6ft, 200lbs). But it's also not my primary vehicle, so that can make a big difference. For me the Climate Concierge works perfectly > 50*, otherwise top up and feels normal. Haven't had it for a year yet so I'm on the fence about the Winter, pretty sure it won't be used in snow (currently summer run flats). I wouldn't say it's a practical vehicle, but I do look for reasons to take it somewhere. Long trips/weekenders with minimal luggage (soft sided, also using rear seat) for 1/2 people it's fantastic; comfortable, quiet, fun and great gas mileage in the highway. I've only had it for a couple of months but still enamored with it just opening the garage door and seeing it there.

BTW, I did/do like the 2023 dash better than the 2024 (pricing also). But I'm also already used to the track/mouse pad interface because of my other Lexus's and rarely use it anyway when driving (installed an aftermarket CarPlay adapter for wireless). You'll also probably have a lot more choice available for Convertibles if your impatient (spring is here).
Old 04-21-24, 06:28 AM
xwndycty
Driver

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

I currently own a '23 cloudburst gray/toasted caramel/black top convertible here in Cary, NC and drive it year round - mostly with the top down. I've had several convertibles over the years (notably a '09 BMW 335i M Sport hardtop conv't which was an absolute piece of garbage) and a few nice hardtop sports cars (including a '92 NSX). So for me, it was an easy choice when I ordered my LC 500. I love hearing the roar of the V8 with the top down and the heated seats/steering wheel are so good, I've even driven the car all winter long if there's no precipitation in the air. Good luck with your decision...either way, the LC 500 is a GREAT CAR and something I'm sure you'll enjoy!
Old 04-21-24, 06:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

i don't like the look of the lc convertible with the roof up. roof down it certainly looks great but i've had a convertible and the 'limitations' in FL for driving with top down can mean driving the car less and less (too hot, raining, too humid, etc).

so i have an lc coupe with the perf. (dyn handling) pkg, and i love how the steering feels (more go kart like). i also love the cf roof. the automatic motorized spoiler is basically a gimmick but it's cool and so nicely integrated whether up or down.

and yes NickL, lexus' ordering/buying limitations can drive you mad. very inflexible. it is what it is. they only sell a couple of hundred a month, so trade-offs, or the price would be WAY higher.

The following 3 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
finny76 (04-22-24), Vitveet (04-21-24), woodranch (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 06:54 AM
abshapiro
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a favor. Can someone provide the depth of the LC500 hardtop trunk. I have to place a handicap (stability) walker in the trunk. The trunk on a convertible is not deep enough. I hope the hardtop trunk is deeper because space to store the convertible soft top is no longer needed. This is the final thing I need to check off before I purchase a LC500. Thank you.
Old 04-21-24, 07:25 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by abshapiro
I need a favor. Can someone provide the depth of the LC500 hardtop trunk. I have to place a handicap (stability) walker in the trunk. The trunk on a convertible is not deep enough. I hope the hardtop trunk is deeper because space to store the convertible soft top is no longer needed. This is the final thing I need to check off before I purchase a LC500. Thank you.
i hate to say it, if you need a stability walker, you wont have an easy time getting in and out of the LC500. The door sills are quite high and wide, you need a strong set of legs to get in and out of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Badhobz:
2959 (04-21-24), smellLC (04-21-24), woodranch (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 07:45 AM
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
i hate to say it, if you need a stability walker, you wont have an easy time getting in and out of the LC500. The door sills are quite high and wide, you need a strong set of legs to get in and out of the car.
Agree with the ingress/egress, I luckily don't have mobility issues (yet) but if the doors aren't fully open it can be a challenge. That's where the Convertible is a benefit, when the tops down it's much easier getting in/out.
NiceCars (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 07:45 AM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

I don’t have a coupe to measure trunk dimensions but I saw this video that demonstrates coupe trunk space. The video might give you an idea of trunk depth - and trunk lid interference - based on the luggage placed by the video author.

The following 2 users liked this post by AutoCrazy:
abshapiro (04-22-24), jennypenny (04-25-24)
Old 04-21-24, 11:01 AM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 2959
Agree with the ingress/egress, I luckily don't have mobility issues (yet) but if the doors aren't fully open it can be a challenge. That's where the Convertible is a benefit, when the tops down it's much easier getting in/out.
Great point, and thankfully the LC isn't as bad as a Corvette.
2959 (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 11:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

A stability walker can be folded , although I never need to fit something like that inside my LC coupe, you should have no problem at all putting the folded walker in the backseat area or if you are driving alone, the passenger front seat.
I can see you can even slip that out of the opened front driver door, then open the walker while still seated, and use it to help you get out of the car, I actually know someone did that when his leg was injured and needed a walker, with a SC430 even with the top up, so it should work with the LC500 coupe as well.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-21-24 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-21-24, 02:54 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

Coupe for me,,had many rag tops and just doesnt make sense any more..
The following 2 users liked this post by Barncobob:
finny76 (04-22-24), woodranch (04-21-24)

Quick Reply: Coupe vs. Convertible