LC Model (2018-present)

Turning engine off without turning off the infotainment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 11:36 AM
antidentit
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Turning engine off without turning off the infotainment?

Is there a way to turn the engine off but keep the infotainment on? I can't figure out how to do it without turning the entire car off first, then pressing the start button again to turn it to the accessory position.

I know in some cars you can turn the engine off before putting it in park, but that doesn't work on the LC...
Old 05-20-24, 02:36 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

thats the only way Ive had success with,turn off car and hit button w/o starting..
Old 05-20-24, 02:50 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't have an LC (yet), but in my GS, what I think I discovered (it's been a few years) is if you leave the car in neutral instead of park, the auxiliary stuff stays on. Needed to do this when the kids were young and I didn't want to disrupt their nap but still wanted access to leave radio on and roll up and down windows without leaving the car idling. Not sure if it was bad for the car, but I had no issues. I could then shift into park after.
​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by mehran888:
2959 (05-20-24), LS460SC430 (05-21-24)
Old 05-24-24, 01:41 PM
antidentit
Driver

Originally Posted by mehran888
I don't have an LC (yet), but in my GS, what I think I discovered (it's been a few years) is if you leave the car in neutral instead of park, the auxiliary stuff stays on. Needed to do this when the kids were young and I didn't want to disrupt their nap but still wanted access to leave radio on and roll up and down windows without leaving the car idling. Not sure if it was bad for the car, but I had no issues. I could then shift into park after.
​​​​​
I tried putting it into neutral before stopping the engine and it didn't work. It was worth a shot!

At this point I haven't figured out how to stop the engine without also stopping the infotainment. Oh well, I guess you can't have it all!
Old 05-26-24, 03:55 PM
CarolinaGeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
​​​​​
I tried this today in my wife's ES300h (2019 model), and it worked. I won't get my LC until August (God willing), so I can't comment about that end of things until then.
Old 05-28-24, 12:08 PM
antidentit
Driver

Originally Posted by CarolinaGeo
I tried this today in my wife's ES300h (2019 model), and it worked. I won't get my LC until August (God willing), so I can't comment about that end of things until then.
The ES300 has a more traditional transmission shifting pattern than the LC, which I believe could be part of the difference. In the LC, you can turn off the engine in any gear when you're stopped, but in many more 'traditional' transmissions you have to put it in N or P before turning it off.

There may be a work around for the LC, but so far I haven't found it yet.
Old 06-01-24, 09:08 PM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In both my 2017 RX and 2018 GS, leaving the car in neutral and pressing the power button will leave the infotainment on. Once you shift in park and press again, the engine will turn off, however if you leave it in neutral and press brake and power, it will turn back on without fully shutting down. That's how most Lexus cars work.
Maybe try to put it in neutral and pull the Ebrake, then press power to see if it stays on, or some people hit the power button while it's still in drive or some other gear to shut the engine off but keep infotainment on.
Old 06-03-24, 09:34 AM
antidentit
Driver

Originally Posted by DrunkFuX
In both my 2017 RX and 2018 GS, leaving the car in neutral and pressing the power button will leave the infotainment on. Once you shift in park and press again, the engine will turn off, however if you leave it in neutral and press brake and power, it will turn back on without fully shutting down. That's how most Lexus cars work.
Maybe try to put it in neutral and pull the Ebrake, then press power to see if it stays on, or some people hit the power button while it's still in drive or some other gear to shut the engine off but keep infotainment on.
Unfortunately, that's not how the LC transmission works. You're referring to a traditional transmission where putting it in neutral and pressing the power button will prevent the electronics from turning off with the engine, but that doesn't work in the LC.