EPB malfunction - help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-24, 09:40 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 281 Likes on 209 Posts
Exclamation EPB malfunction - help!

Hey all,

On my '18 coupe after picking it up from getting the windshield lightly tinted, upon picking up the car, I noticed that my dash displayed the error "EPB Malfunction - Please Visit Dealer". The car was still driveable (and normal) as the tech pulled it out of the tint shop without issue.

I drove a few miles home and it still remains. I then disconnected the positive and negative terminal battery for about 30 minutes, which reset my clock and everything else, and then I put the terminals back, which then when I started the car again, the error still remained.

I tried pulling and pushing on the electronic parking brake button, but it said it was unavailable so I could not do anything with that. And I also am still able to drive my car without any issue. Any ideas?

TIA. Edit: typos since I posted this on my phone
Spoke with owner of tint shop who did not believe his shop caused it, but I've given him quite a bit of business (full PPF and tints with various vehicles), and he did say if I end up going to the dealership and they give me an estimate on the repairs, he did say he would cover the bill.

However, I would like the dealership to be my last resort.

Last edited by tofuprod; 05-30-24 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-30-24, 10:03 AM
kirkd1
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Hey all,

on my coupe after picking it up from getting the windshield lightly tinted, upon picking up the car, I noticed that my dash displayed the air. I drove a few miles home and it still remain. I then disconnected the negative terminal battery for about 30 seconds which reset my clock and everything else, and then I put it back, which then when I started the car again, the error still remained.

I tried pulling and pushing on the electronic parking brake button, but it said it was unavailable so I could not do anything with that. And I also am still able to drive my car without any issue. Any ideas?

TIA.
Tinter let to much solution, water, run down into the dash and fuse box. Take it baack to them and have them dry it out and fix or pay to have it repaired or reset.
Old 05-30-24, 07:35 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by kirkd1
Tinter let to much solution, water, run down into the dash and fuse box. Take it baack to them and have them dry it out and fix or pay to have it repaired or reset.
I don't see any fuse within engine bay or whatnot that could relate to this.

Can anyone chime in where this could have impacted from potential water/moisture damage?
Just looking to see if I can dry anything out and reattempt to see if the error message disappears before dropping off the car at the Lexus dealership on Monday.

Thank you.
Old 05-31-24, 06:32 AM
kirkd1
Pit Crew

I don't see any fuse within engine bay or whatnot that could relate to this.

Can anyone chime in where this could have impacted from potential water/moisture damage?
Just looking to see if I can dry anything out and reattempt to see if the error message disappears before dropping off the car at the Lexus dealership on Monday.

Thank you.
I am assuming they tinted the inside of the windshield? When they squeegee the water from under the tint to install they have to be extra careful that all of that water does not run down up by the defrost vents inside the car. It will then make its way to multiple electrical components. I would take it backup the tint place immediately and make then aware of the situation. They have seen this before! Why tint the windshield? Nothing but issues and very little up side!
The following users liked this post:
mr913 (05-31-24)
Old 05-31-24, 08:49 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 618 Posts

Take a look in the trunk

2959 (05-31-24)
Old 05-31-24, 09:54 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Take a look in the trunk

nice write up, very professional.
Old 05-31-24, 11:28 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by tecman
Take a look in the trunk

thank you, Tec.

I pulled the 5amp and it was clear but still replaced it with a fresh one.

the other one I pulled it but I can’t tell if it’s okay or no? Looked “normal” to me. Edit:, used fused tester on that one and it lit up green

Last edited by tofuprod; 05-31-24 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-31-24, 01:10 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Update.

I got in the car and voila somehow the error went away, drove it around for 15-20 minutes and thus far hasn't come back.

Not sure if it had to do with replacing that one unbroken fuse or just simply taking the other one out and putting it back in.. super strange, but I'm happy thus far this is resolved.

Thank you again, Tecman for the assist.

Fingers crossed.
Old 05-31-24, 01:18 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

cheap easy fix to replace fuses...coming from a newer Porsche CS if there were any electrical issues, unhook battery for awhile and reboot the car.
Techman for the score!
Old 05-31-24, 01:19 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Barncobob
cheap easy fix to replace fuses...coming from a newer Porsche CS if there were any electrical issues, unhook battery for awhile and reboot the car.
Techman for the score!
He gets a case of his favorite drink from me if he's ever in the Chicagoland area.
Mmagic76 (05-31-24)
Old 05-31-24, 02:20 PM
kirkd1
Pit Crew

Update.

I got in the car and voila somehow the error went away, drove it around for 15-20 minutes and thus far hasn't come back.

Not sure if it had to do with replacing that one unbroken fuse or just simply taking the other one out and putting it back in.. super strange, but I'm happy thus far this is resolved.

Thank you again, Tecman for the assist.

Fingers crossed.
Glad it is back working, good pictures and pointers on how to troubleshoot. Fuses don't just blow and may not be related to tint! Again glad your up and running. The following is the basis for my earlier comment.
Sorry if I came off as unhelpful or rudeI’m struggling with the amount of sun/heat coming in from the front windshield. I want to get a clear tint to cut down on heat, but got disappointing responses from reputable tint installers in North Jersey that I reached out to.

I’m basically being told that they won’t touch my car due to the about of water required to properly wet the inside windshield for installation and the potential to damage the electronics. They went as far as to tell me that if I go to an installer that will do it, they as putting my car at risk. One of the two I asked said they know potential for damage first hand.

Ignoring the fact that window tint on windshield in NJ is illegal (I don’t want any color), has anyone had this experience with their installation? As anyone refused to tint your windshield due to the potential for water damage? Obviously, I don’t want to do this is I’m risking the electronics in the dashboard.

Old 06-03-24, 09:15 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by kirkd1
Glad it is back working, good pictures and pointers on how to troubleshoot. Fuses don't just blow and may not be related to tint! Again glad your up and running. The following is the basis for my earlier comment.
Sorry if I came off as unhelpful or rudeI’m struggling with the amount of sun/heat coming in from the front windshield. I want to get a clear tint to cut down on heat, but got disappointing responses from reputable tint installers in North Jersey that I reached out to.

I’m basically being told that they won’t touch my car due to the about of water required to properly wet the inside windshield for installation and the potential to damage the electronics. They went as far as to tell me that if I go to an installer that will do it, they as putting my car at risk. One of the two I asked said they know potential for damage first hand.

Ignoring the fact that window tint on windshield in NJ is illegal (I don’t want any color), has anyone had this experience with their installation? As anyone refused to tint your windshield due to the potential for water damage? Obviously, I don’t want to do this is I’m risking the electronics in the dashboard.
No problem, you didn't across as rude or anything IMHO. For me I just went with 75% tint so it's hardly noticeable, I used Xpel XR Plus (same as the rest of our vehicles) and it has worked well.
Any reputable tint shop with competent installers should be using the "rope" to place at the foot of the dash/windshield to absorb any runoffs of fluids when installing tint. I would presume the shop I used did this as I've used them before without issue, but you never know.. I could of course pull footage from my own vehicle and or from the shop's security cameras to reconfirm. It is strange how this happened but I am too glad it's resolved. I took the vehicle out for a lengthy cruise and experienced zero issues (knock on wood).