LC Model (2018-present)

2024 LC sales numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-24, 05:19 AM
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

And here is the Nikkei report reference; https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Aut...Silicon-Island

All, some or none is irrelevant, it’s a report from Asia about what’s taking place and where they may be headed.
Old 08-03-24, 05:21 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 377 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 2959
Correct, two different articles. The second was about vehicle sales.

Here is the full article about the EV’s, it can be read on the Seaking Alpha investment website.

“Toyota to set up EV battery plant in 'silicon island' for Lexus cars - report

Jul. 26, 2024 3:18 AM ETToyota Motor Corporation (TM) StockBy: Manshi Mamtora, CFA

Toyota Motor (NYSE:TM) plans to establish a new electric vehicle battery manufacturing facility in Kyushu, Japan, Nikkei reported.

This strategic move aims to enhance Toyota's (TM) EV supply chain and position Kyushu as a key export hub for the Asian markets.

The new battery plant will be located in Kyushu, the southernmost of Japan's four main islands — home to numerous automotive and semiconductor factories, often referred to as 'silicon island.'

The industrial park is located 40 km from Toyota's (TM) Miyata plant, which assembles Lexus vehicles. The Miyata factory makes 430,000 automobiles annually, of which 90% are exported.

The Japanese automobile company (TM) plans to shift all Lexus models to EVs by 2035, according to the report.

By 2030, Toyota (TM) aims to sell 3.5M EVs globally and considers the Lexus brand essential to its EV strategy.”

As a TM shareholder I read anything related to the company, believe whatever you want.
They can and will do it if these solid state batteries with 750+ mile range and sub 15 minute charge time are real. If this is not just halo/unicorn technology then Toyota will capture the entire EV market with that tech if it comes at a value and not premium.
They've done it before with hybrid technology so it's entirely possible they are following the same playbook here, it's just taking a bit longer due to tech constraints.

Of course, this could all just be marketing fluff to create doubt with the competition to buy Toyota time to align their all-in EV strategy properly, because as I mentioned, the RZ definitely is a **** poor attempt at a full EV for the brand.
Old 08-03-24, 05:37 AM
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
They can and will do it if these solid state batteries with 750+ mile range and sub 15 minute charge time are real. If this is not just halo/unicorn technology then Toyota will capture the entire EV market with that tech if it comes at a value and not premium.
They've done it before with hybrid technology so it's entirely possible they are following the same playbook here, it's just taking a bit longer due to tech constraints.

Of course, this could all just be marketing fluff to create doubt with the competition to buy Toyota time to align their all-in EV strategy properly, because as I mentioned, the RZ definitely is a **** poor attempt at a full EV for the brand.
Toyota has been pretty methodical with manufacturing and they have adjusted as needed (market, consumer, Yen etc.). I’ve dumped my other Auto manufacturer investments (Ford, GM) and now only hold TM because of their business acumen. EV’s or not, I’m quickly approaching the age where it may not matter unless they become fully autonomous.
Old 08-04-24, 02:29 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 2959
Correct, two different articles. The second was about vehicle sales.

The Japanese automobile company (TM) plans to shift all Lexus models to EVs by 2035, according to the report.

As a TM shareholder I read anything related to the company, believe whatever you want.
You must not read what you think you read very well.
The 35% EV statement HAS NOT been in ANYTHING you've posted Because the CEO of Toyota Never Said It.
You're sharing BS. Please stop it.
Bruce in Fl
Old 08-04-24, 10:40 PM
doncoughlinjd
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 355F1
Was at my local dealer yesterday and they have 3 brand new LC 500s for sale on the lot.
SUPPLY is very weak in New England. There are 10/11 Lexus Dealers in the six N E states. In July, there were about three or four 2024 LCs on the lot between all of them. Thats why I had to order a Bespoke even though the GM of my chosen dealership said I had a less than 50% chance of Lexus accepting the order. Another GM at a competing Dealership refused to even take my order because he claimed there were only about three LCs/mo coming into his region of 63 Lexus dealerships and therefore highly unlikely he'd get an allocation to get my order approved.
Old 08-05-24, 04:07 AM
BoreRoverGuy
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by doncoughlinjd
SUPPLY is very weak in New England. There are 10/11 Lexus Dealers in the six N E states. In July, there were about three or four 2024 LCs on the lot between all of them. Thats why I had to order a Bespoke even though the GM of my chosen dealership said I had a less than 50% chance of Lexus accepting the order. Another GM at a competing Dealership refused to even take my order because he claimed there were only about three LCs/mo coming into his region of 63 Lexus dealerships and therefore highly unlikely he'd get an allocation to get my order approved.
Even though supply may be low, it seems to me like demand is lower. That’s not a bad thing, it just is what it is. This is a low volume car, and these things aren’t exactly flying off of lots. If you’re willing to buy a white one, there are “a lot”* of them around the country. (*A lot relative to their volume.) Other manufacturers are already selling ‘25s, so I don’t think that dealers or the factory are looking to pump out a bunch of ‘24s to sit on lots when the ‘25s arrive. They don’t want to give an additional discount just because of the year on the title, even if there are zero changes to the car, as a model year older is still a model year older.
Old 08-05-24, 05:45 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

I bouught a new Lexus RXh for the missus yesterday. Took the 24 LC and parked out front .There were 2 salesman that came out and didnt know it was a Lexus..WTF?
The following users liked this post:
doncoughlinjd (08-07-24)
Old 08-05-24, 09:30 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
I would suspect the introduction of USB ... has helped people trade up as well
This was exactly me. Owned a '21 in Nightfall Mica, when I saw USB + bespoke for '24 I traded up.
Old 08-05-24, 09:39 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BruceinFla
BS.
Stupid consumers, stupid companies (waving at Hertz/Ford/Jaguar) are gonna lose their Asses on EVs.
Bruce in Fl
Our EV -- a 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV -- fits 4 adults comfortably, costs ~3 cents a mile to drive, and is the best compact / economy car I've ever driven. Where most have to compromise on space or performance, this one does neither. Sure, it can't be anyone's only car (it doesn't do road trips well) but as a default car for most trips around a large metro it is enough.

EV's have a place, broadly suggesting "stupid consumers ... are gonna lose their Asses on EVs" is just ignorance. If you can afford an LC you can afford multiple niche cars, including a default / daily driver. EVs serve that purpose very well.

Last edited by jbuffett; 08-05-24 at 10:43 AM.
2959 (08-05-24)
Old 08-05-24, 10:28 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

Im for hybrids but not straight EVs as I would suffer "range anxiety".
Old 08-05-24, 10:46 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Barncobob
Im for hybrids but not straight EVs as I would suffer "range anxiety".
How often do you drive more than 200 miles in a day? Everybody's use case is different, for me when I owned my Teslas from 2020-2022 it was only twice. And the navigation software plus their charging network worked very well.

We have 4 cars, when I know I'm going to drive farther than ~230 miles I don't drive the EV. Which happens maybe once or twice a year.
Old 08-05-24, 11:23 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 378 Likes on 247 Posts

I’m thinking the RZ450E as my winter car.
Somehow, that’s counterintuitive since the range would drop drastically here in NE when temp can dip to 20s.
But the discount of them is pretty nice with over 30 cars to pick from in each dealer lot.
My driving is done in mostly the RX350 as I have a young family. The LC, I have to find an excuse to drive. Otherwise, it can sit in the garage for weeks. But I’m sick of driving the RX. Looking at LS460 for another V8 but starting to think maybe I should try an EV that is not Tesla. I only need to do 30miles a day.
Old 08-05-24, 11:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
I’m thinking the RZ450E as my winter car.
Somehow, that’s counterintuitive since the range would drop drastically here in NE when temp can dip to 20s.
But the discount of them is pretty nice with over 30 cars to pick from in each dealer lot.
My driving is done in mostly the RX350 as I have a young family. The LC, I have to find an excuse to drive. Otherwise, it can sit in the garage for weeks. But I’m sick of driving the RX. Looking at LS460 for another V8 but starting to think maybe I should try an EV that is not Tesla. I only need to do 30miles a day.
my ioniq 5 is amazing.
jbuffett (08-05-24)
Old 08-05-24, 11:45 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NickL
Looking at LS460 for another V8 but starting to think maybe I should try an EV that is not Tesla. I only need to do 30miles a day.
One day I'll have a late model LS460L just to check that box. I had an '07 LS460 then replaced it with an '11 GS460, both were excellent.

My advice on the EV front: look at the '22-23 Chevy Bolt EV and EUV (don't do earlier, that's pre-refresh). I had owned two Teslas when I drove my first Bolt EV, the Teslas always felt like a lot of car / tech for a lot of money. The Bolt in comparison is enough car for not a lot of money. Everything about the Bolt is "good enough": space (4 adults), range (low-mid 200's in summer), performance (much better than any comparable cheap gas car). But the main thing is the price: they're cheap. $20-25K lightly used all day long. They're definitely appliance cars: buy it, use it, throw it away and buy another. Ours gets 4.3 miles per kWh in the summer, 3.3 in winter. I don't know what electricity costs where you live, for me (11.5 cents per kWh) driving your 30 miles a day that would cost me about 80 cents.

I'd much rather kill our Bolt with miles (cheaply) than do that to another car that I actually love. I'd rather save the lifted/armored 4Runner for offroaidng and the LC500 for driving in the mountains than drive them in traffic to work or the grocery store.

Last edited by jbuffett; 08-05-24 at 11:53 AM.
2959 (08-05-24)
Old 08-06-24, 02:39 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jbuffett
Our EV -- a 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV -- fits 4 adults comfortably, costs ~3 cents a mile to drive, and is the best compact / economy car I've ever driven. Where most have to compromise on space or performance, this one does neither. Sure, it can't be anyone's only car (it doesn't do road trips well) but as a default car for most trips around a large metro it is enough.

EV's have a place, broadly suggesting "stupid consumers ... are gonna lose their Asses on EVs" is just ignorance. If you can afford an LC you can afford multiple niche cars, including a default / daily driver. EVs serve that purpose very well.
I will grant you the Bolt is One of the better choices now. If not The Best pure EV choice. I know someone who has one. A lot of that has to do with Chevy correcting the public opinion on the car after it's prior Massive battery recall issues and Chevy Wanting It to be a good seller.
With it comes to my Lose their asses statement and Who is the ignorant one here, I'd suggest you check the depreciation on Every Single OTHER EV besides your Bolt then possible reevaluate your ignorance opinion. EVs Right Now are rocking in with the Highest depreciation rates Ever Seen in the automotive world. Chevy lost almost 2 BILLON DOLLARS on the Bolt battery recall, that sure seems to be sliding towards Lose Your *** territory to me, even for GM. Your If You Can Afford A LC angle really has Jack Squatolla to do with any genuine EV discussion. EVs are Dead Right Now if you have to be able to afford a $100,000 car to sit beside it too. I also cited 3 specific EV Manufacturing 100% FACTUAL debacles which You Completely avoid mentioning.
3 years ago, Congress set aside 8 Billion dollars for new EV chargers. In the 3 years since, that 8 Billion has produced just a couple handfuls of chargers. Even Our Government knows that Right Now, EVs are just One Big Bad Joke.
But, Thanks for playing anyway.
Bruce in Fl

Last edited by BruceinFla; 08-06-24 at 03:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 2024 LC sales numbers