LC Model (2018-present)

Noise Ordinances-Exhaust DBA

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-24, 01:45 PM
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Noise Ordinances-Exhaust DBA

Has anyone run into legal issues with OEM exhaust DBA? They are starting to crack down around here (specifically with modified exhaust's) on noise levels. Looking at some posted DBA readings, it looks like the OEM exhaust levels run around 88 to 110 DBA, does anyone have official DBA readings information from Lexus?

(1) A motor vehicle must not be operated or driven on a highway or street if the motor vehicle produces total noise exceeding 1 of the following limits at a distance of 50 feet except as provided in subdivisions (b)(iii) and (c)(iii):
(c) A motor vehicle or a combination of vehicles towed by a motor vehicle not covered in subdivision (a) or (b):

(i) Eighty-two DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is greater than 35 miles per hour.
(ii) Seventy-six DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is not more than 35 miles per hour.
(iii) Ninety-five DBA under stationary run-up test 20 inches from the end of the tailpipe.
(2) A dealer shall not sell or offer for sale for use upon a street or highway in this state a new motor vehicle that produces a maximum noise exceeding the following limits:
(a) A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or more—83 DBA.
(b) A motorcycle or a moped—83 DBA.
(c) A motor vehicle not covered in subdivision (a) or (b)—80 DBA.
Old 06-09-24, 06:47 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 305 Likes on 210 Posts

Why not just move?

Steve
Old 06-09-24, 06:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I'm sure Lexus would not build a vehicle that exceeds noise levels for any municipality in the USA, including Michigan. If they did and you were cited, they would be liable, not you.

Lou
Old 06-09-24, 11:28 PM
cwest13
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I'm sure Lexus would not build a vehicle that exceeds noise levels for any municipality in the USA, including Michigan. If they did and you were cited, they would be liable, not you.

Lou

plenty of OEMs make exhausts that are too loud - but not by default. As long as they comply with noise laws when the car is in “default” mode (ie when it’s turned on) they are within the law.

Whether the noise is too loud in a mode like Sport+ or whatever is the owner’s problem for putting it in the loud mode when they shouldn’t have.
Old 06-09-24, 11:49 PM
djpingpong
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just put it to comfort mode if you get pulled over and they bring the meter out?
Old 06-10-24, 04:02 AM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cwest13
plenty of OEMs make exhausts that are too loud - but not by default. As long as they comply with noise laws when the car is in “default” mode (ie when it’s turned on) they are within the law.

Whether the noise is too loud in a mode like Sport+ or whatever is the owner’s problem for putting it in the loud mode when they shouldn’t have.
With an 82 DBA requirement in an over 35mph area, wouldn't the LC still exceed the level even in normal mode?
Old 06-10-24, 05:12 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 618 Posts

The only thing I found from a reputable source is this 2018 LC review from Car and Driver.
The driving modes also adjust the volume of the 471-hp 5.0-liter V-8’s gripping soundtrack—up to 88 decibels at full whack in Normal mode
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0-test-review/
The following users liked this post:
2959 (06-10-24)
Old 06-10-24, 05:35 AM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tecman
The only thing I found from a reputable source is this 2018 LC review from Car and Driver.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0-test-review/
Thanks, that’s helpful. I have to take one of my other vehicles to the Dealership today and I’ll check if anyone has something written from the OEM. I understand the noise complaints from the modified exhaust crowd (especially some two wheels) but if there’s an issue with mine it would be nice to have OEM guidance.

This is mostly a crackdown in my area, M1 (Woodward Ave) is heavily trafficked by performance vehicles, especially during Dream Cruise (there’s even a private motor speedway on M1, the M1 Concourse). But people moving in to high dollar homes close by are complaining. Or maybe it’s just another push for EV’s.
Old 06-10-24, 05:44 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

(1) A motor vehicle must not be operated or driven on a highway or street if the motor vehicle produces total noise exceeding 1 of the following limits at a distance of 50 feet except as provided in subdivisions (b)(iii) and (c)(iii):

Measurement at 50 feet vs at tailpipe should help some.
Old 06-10-24, 06:00 AM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tennman117

Measurement at 50 feet vs at tailpipe should help some.
There was some talk about microphones with automatic cameras, not sure how that would work. Nothings happened yet and many others have more to worry than me, just like being prepared.
Old 06-10-24, 05:16 PM
Pit Crew

No luck on the OEM exhaust DBA information at the Dealership. Sent a note to Lexus for a response. Maybe it will only matter if you get pulled for something else (sort of like window tint).

Did think this information was interesting; https://www.semasan.com/resources/ex...ise-laws-state
Old 06-10-24, 05:26 PM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks like Ohio is worse than Michigan.

(1) For passenger cars:

(a) When operated at a speed of thirty-five miles per hour or less, a maximum noise limit of seventy decibels;
(b) When operated at a speed of more than thirty-five miles per hour, a maximum noise limit of seventy-nine decibels.
Old 06-10-24, 09:49 PM
kirkd1
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 2959
Has anyone run into legal issues with OEM exhaust DBA? They are starting to crack down around here (specifically with modified exhaust's) on noise levels. Looking at some posted DBA readings, it looks like the OEM exhaust levels run around 88 to 110 DBA, does anyone have official DBA readings information from Lexus?

(c) A motor vehicle or a combination of vehicles towed by a motor vehicle not covered in subdivision (a) or (b):

(i) Eighty-two DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is greater than 35 miles per hour.
(ii) Seventy-six DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is not more than 35 miles per hour.
(iii) Ninety-five DBA under stationary run-up test 20 inches from the end of the tailpipe.
(2) A dealer shall not sell or offer for sale for use upon a street or highway in this state a new motor vehicle that produces a maximum noise exceeding the following limits:
(a) A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or more—83 DBA.
(b) A motorcycle or a moped—83 DBA.
(c) A motor vehicle not covered in subdivision (a) or (b)—80 DBA.
After all of this what if the answer to your question is NO!
If you drive around at 6,000 to 7,000 rpm all the time you will have an issue!
Old 06-11-24, 03:57 AM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kirkd1
After all of this what if the answer to your question is NO!
If you drive around at 6,000 to 7,000 rpm all the time you will have an issue!
If it is above the DBA requirements without modifications from the OEM and I have documentation to prove that, then if/when I'm in court I can present that (or at least to the Officer). The noise issue is then with the OEM and Dealership, not me. Not sure I've even hit 6K rpm's, maybe passing on the Highway. As said before, this could be a "nothing burger".
Old 06-13-24, 09:23 AM
Pit Crew

Thank you for contacting us about your 2023 Lexus LC 500. We're happy to provide further insight into your noise test inquiry.

We apologize as we have looked further into your inquiry and our records indicate that noise test information for your 2023 Lexus LC 500 is unavailable.

We hope this information has been helpful, but if you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us, or simply reply.
Sincerely,
Ivan

Lexus Brand Engagement Center

Quick Reply: Noise Ordinances-Exhaust DBA