LC Model (2018-present)

Deposit is down for a 24 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-24, 07:22 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 419 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by cwest13
Kind of a weird development. Thought the order was in last month. Today, I get a call from the sales GM and he basically tells me he's trying his best to get one in but corporate is giving them a hard time. It didn't make a lot of sense to me but according to him, Lexus is getting annoyed when they accept an order (he used an acronym I don't remember instead of saying "order") because customers back out by the time it gets produced and they made a car they didn't "have to". Apparently it's been getting harder and harder.

All that to say it doesn't sound like I have an order in at all...
Oof that's unfortunate, though I don't understand why "Lexus would get annoyed."

A dealer that inputs a bespoke order for a customer and has it accepted by Lexus gets an LC allocated to them for that build. If the buyer backs out, the dealer still gets that car and then is free to sell it. It literally makes no difference to the manufacturer who buys the car and when. If that allocation wasn't used by your bespoke order LC it might have been used by a factory allocated LC, or some other model.

It's not like people are knocking down the doors at dealerships to buy this car that a few or even a few dozen LC bespoke orders that don't get fulfilled by ordering customer would make any difference to Lexus. If they were worried they would just reduce their factory allocation build by 1 unit for each bespoke unit ordered, in which case they can keep their total production numbers the same.

Hope you can get it resolved soon! In the meantime don't stop shopping around, you may come across a bespoke allocated to a different dealership that meets all or close to all of your options, and you can skip the wait!
Old 08-19-24, 07:25 PM
cwest13
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Oof that's unfortunate, though I don't understand why "Lexus would get annoyed."

A dealer that inputs a bespoke order for a customer and has it accepted by Lexus gets an LC allocated to them for that build. If the buyer backs out, the dealer still gets that car and then is free to sell it. It literally makes no difference to the manufacturer who buys the car and when. If that allocation wasn't used by your bespoke order LC it might have been used by a factory allocated LC, or some other model.

It's not like people are knocking down the doors at dealerships to buy this car that a few or even a few dozen LC bespoke orders that don't get fulfilled by ordering customer would make any difference to Lexus. If they were worried they would just reduce their factory allocation build by 1 unit for each bespoke unit ordered, in which case they can keep their total production numbers the same.

Hope you can get it resolved soon! In the meantime don't stop shopping around, you may come across a bespoke allocated to a different dealership that meets all or close to all of your options, and you can skip the wait!
To be clear, I want the dynamic handling package so it's not a bespoke order. If it were, it would probably be easier. I got the sense that the GM was trying to feel me out to see how serious I am before he burns capital with Lexus to push a non-bespoke order through. According to him, they really aren't making coupes as a general matter, so he doesn't see many getting allocated for a dealer swap.

Last edited by cwest13; 08-19-24 at 07:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-24, 07:26 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 419 Likes on 293 Posts

To be clear, I want the dynamic handling package so it's not a bespoke order. If it were, it would probably be easier. I got the sense that the GM was trying to feel me out to see how serious I am before he burns capital with Lexus to push a non-bespoke order through. According to him, they really aren't making coupes as a general matter, so he doesn't see many getting allocated for a dealer swap.
Oh I see. In that case there is no "order" so perhaps your dealer is trying to get that allocation specifically.

Your dealer is just hoping they get an allocation for one that the factory puts out. There are a couple inbound to my local dealer with DH, one white and one flare yellow

USB may be really difficult to find outside of bespoke, I don't think Lexus is building too many in general allocation. Hope you get lucky with getting your hands on one!
Old 08-19-24, 07:31 PM
StuM
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

….

My ‘24 coupe order was a bit of an ordeal too. Seems Toyota/Lexus, in general, is not overly customer order friendly. Regardless of the build. I too ordered a coupe with DHP and a few other options, but nothing weird or unusual. It took months for Japan to accept the order. After that, it went fairly smoothly and took about 4.5 months, in total. Worth the wait, though. Hang tough.
Old 08-19-24, 07:43 PM
cwest13
Pit Crew

Yeah, I was aware of how Toyota/Lexus does their allocation system, but it was told to me that even a non-bespoke order could be submitted because all coupes are "special order". Turns out that may not be the case...
The following users liked this post:
StuM (08-19-24)
Old 08-19-24, 07:57 PM
KiwiGreg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyota NZ wanted to make sure I was serious & wasn't going to back out, the last thing they want is to have another LC in stock

They had a yellow 23 for sale for the best part of a year, they possibly still have it, only sold 3-4 here this year
Old 08-19-24, 08:28 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

To cwest13

If you're serious, and I believe you are, why not up your deposit to $5K. and make it nonrefundable if they build the car to your specifications❓

Lou
The following users liked this post:
BoreRoverGuy (08-19-24)
Old 08-19-24, 10:17 PM
BoreRoverGuy
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
To cwest13

If you're serious, and I believe you are, why not up your deposit to $5K. and make it nonrefundable if they build the car to your specifications❓

Lou
This is what I’d do. “Tell me what you need to know that I’m serious. The only outs I need are for unreasonable delays and a damaged car on delivery.” You should get a discount on floating them $5K for a year, but so be it.
Old 08-20-24, 04:00 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, I was aware of how Toyota/Lexus does their allocation system, but it was told to me that even a non-bespoke order could be submitted because all coupes are "special order". Turns out that may not be the case...
This is what I was told back in February when I placed my "order" for a standard build, non-bespoke coupe. It took almost two months before it was confirmed. Once confirmed, took about 3 months to arrive in the US, Crossing my fingers for you!

Last edited by BlueIS05; 08-20-24 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-20-24, 05:54 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueIS05
This is what I was told back in February when I placed my "order" for a standard build, non-bespoke coupe. It took almost two months before it was confirmed. Once confirmed, took about 3 months to arrive in the US, Crossing my fingers for you!
sounds exactly the scenario I went thru for 24LC.
Old 08-20-24, 07:49 AM
cwest13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flowrider
To cwest13

Lou
I didn't consider that. I am not sure you can agree to make a deposit non-refundable here in California, though. Typically can't contract away rights guaranteed by law. On the other hand, from a principled standpoint, I don't see why I should need to beg and offer thousands of dollars to sell me a $109k car
Old 08-20-24, 08:11 AM
NickL
Racer

Received 427 Likes on 274 Posts

What a shame. Time to spend the 110k somewhere else.
Lexus rather build some more white cars that sit on dealer’s lot and take some deep discount to move than “building a car they didn’t have to”.
Old 08-20-24, 08:15 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

dont buy a Porsche:} money pit to the max.
Old 08-20-24, 08:46 AM
cwest13
Pit Crew

For me it was actually up in the air between a 911 or LC 500. I had a 2009 911 (997.2) and only ever did oil, plugs, and front wheel bearings (at 14 years old). However, I'm not a huge fan of the value you get for a base or S model these days. Optioned the way I want (which isn't crazy), an S would be pushing $155k. And it would be a daily car which the LC 500 is the obvious better choice - plus NA V8
Old 08-20-24, 08:52 AM
NickL
Racer

Received 427 Likes on 274 Posts

Are you dead set on USB?
Perhaps other color options like Infrared or Flare Yellow with dynamic handling package will get you as much excitement. If it’s a daily, I can’t see why it would matter that much and probably a car you would trade in after a little while anyways.
If it’s my daily, I would buy an ES300H.

Last edited by NickL; 08-20-24 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Deposit is down for a 24 coupe