LC Model (2018-present)

What are you guys paying for a full PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-24, 01:50 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 389 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by wadman55
Tried , they won't drop aftermarket Fn alarm $995
or the Simonize $1295 but would drop PPV at 2695
So I wonder if they do Simonize over PPV or PPV over Simonize if at all
PPF has to go on bare paint. otherwise, it won’t stick.

The following users liked this post:
wadman55 (08-30-24)
Old 08-30-24, 01:55 PM
NickL
Instructor

Originally Posted by np20412
I just did my first wash on my PPF+Ceramic. I used Optimum No Rinse and their big red sponge, with one bucket and a single 24x16 drying towel. It took me 40 minutes including the wheels (though I did use the hose for the wheels and a fallout remover as the cleaner, did not ONR the wheels).
How you dealing with the wheels and the brake dust and rust on them. As much as I like the bespoke matte wheels, I hate trying to keep them clean.
I cleaned mine this morning with a hose, wheels cleaner, scrubbed with a microfiber cloth brush. Nice’n clean. But the rotors were rusted right away(normal after they touch water) so I drove the car two blocks to clear them. Came back and the rust is already covered the wheel barrels. Wtf.
These matte wheels have a grit finish and not smooth, what a pita! I’m about to call the parts department and ask for a set of the 10 split spoke wheels.
Old 08-30-24, 02:22 PM
wadman55
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
PPF has to go on bare paint. otherwise, it won’t stick.
So I'm guessing no Glass Coat over PPF areas
Id ask the dealer but I hate to be a pain with more questions, I'm just antsy as hell waiting for my 500 to arrive
****s killing me 🤣
But then again doesn't $ 70 K plus have some leeway
Old 08-30-24, 02:22 PM
BoreRoverGuy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

How you dealing with the wheels and the brake dust and rust on them. As much as I like the bespoke matte wheels, I hate trying to keep them clean.
I cleaned mine this morning with a hose, wheels cleaner, scrubbed with a microfiber cloth brush. Nice’n clean. But the rotors were rusted right away(normal after they touch water) so I drove the car two blocks to clear them. Came back and the rust is already covered the wheel barrels. Wtf.
These matte wheels have a grit finish and not smooth, what a pita! I’m about to call the parts department and ask for a set of the 10 split spoke wheels.
If you go that route, trade someone on here and make a thousand bucks. (Or more.)
Old 08-30-24, 02:24 PM
wadman55
Driver School Candidate

Yeah they will probably do the ceramic on the whole vehicle but they are not going to do the world's greatest job prepping and applying. I would expect you'll maybe get a year of performance from the coating.

If I were you I would give it that year, keeping an eye on how well water beads off the surface. Once it stops beading you know it isn't doing it's job anymore. At that point I would re-ceramic the entire car. If the ppf is still good I'd leave it on there for extra protection, but would cut and polish the whole car before reapplying a new ceramic.. Or if you don't want to ceramic, use a ceramic spray sealant every few washes to keep the paint protected.
​​​
What do you think of the spray over the ceramic from day 1
Old 08-30-24, 02:29 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 391 Likes on 271 Posts

What do you think of the spray over the ceramic from day 1
It's a great idea, will boost the performance of the ceramic they apply and will help the base layer last longer. If you do that you won't even know when it eventually fails because you'll always have a top coat applied.
wadman55 (08-30-24)
Old 08-30-24, 02:29 PM
NickL
Instructor

So I'm guessing no Glass Coat over PPF areas
Id ask the dealer but I hate to be a pain with more questions, I'm just antsy as hell waiting for my 500 to arrive
****s killing me 🤣
But then again doesn't $ 70 K plus have some leeway
You can put whatever glass coat you want on the PPF.
So if they do it properly, PPF on bare paint. Then coat the PPF along with the entire car.
Old 08-30-24, 02:32 PM
wadman55
Driver School Candidate

It's a great idea, will boost the performance of the ceramic they apply and will help the base layer last longer. If you do that you won't even know when it eventually fails because you'll always have a top coat applied.
Any suggestions
Old 08-30-24, 02:35 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

I still break out the hose for them because the pressure helps. I do a rinse with the hose to remove any loose dust. Then I use a fallout remover (IronX or similar) and spray the wheels down, every surface including the caliper and whatever overspray ends up on the rotor. I give it a couple minutes to work on the wheels (usually by the time I finish spritzing the 4th wheel it's time to rinse the 1st wheel). Then I rinse the wheel again. This probably gets them 90% clean which is good enough for me. If it's been a while then I will agitate the fallout remover while it's on the wheel with an ONR soaked microfiber wheelie type pad before I rinse. Absolutely 100% under no circumstance allow fallout remover to dry on the surface, so only use on a cool wheel out of the sun. Then I dry with a wheel-dedicated microfiber towel.

I coated my wheels with Gtechnique C5 Wheel Armour so that helps a lot in getting them clean easily. I coated the inner barrel too but that surface is really rough even compared to the matte surface of the wheels, so I don't really know how good the coating worked in there. I don't worry too much about cleaning the barrels of the wheel to be honest. I just allow the fallout remover to do whatever it does, I don't even go into the barrels with the wheelie on a typical wash.

I find the matte wheels hide the brake dust pretty well unless you are looking at them in direct sunlight, in which case you tell they get that reddish/rusty-tinge to them.

I did discover the rear quarter panel caked in brake dust though, so I have experienced that now lol. I used the fallout remover on the rear quarter bumper area just behind the rear wheels as well to break down that dust before I hit it with the rinseless wash.
Old 08-30-24, 02:48 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Any suggestions
Personally I like the Optimum product line so I use their product called "Hyper-Seal" as a drying aid every couple of washes. It's also a great glass cleaner believe it or not

But realistcally you can use any Ceramic spray topper, they are all largely the same made of the same chemical compound that does all the heavy lifting (SiO2 - Silicon Di-Oxide). Some good ones:

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/h...EpgerkuCGFzx33 - effective and economical, a little goes a long way

https://www.griotsgarage.com/ceramic...HlOAECxlYpOP_i

Adam's Graphene -
Amazon Amazon

https://theragcompany.com/products/o...WWTfJvJXxMMA7R

Last edited by np20412; 08-30-24 at 04:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote I received for my LC due in September is $10.5 which includes full PPF including inside lower doors panels, tint all around, and G2 techniq ceramic coating everywhere including wheel barrels. I have used G2 on other cars and it will easily last 8+ years IME. I use ONR to wash my car including wheels...been using it over 15 years with no issues ever.

I've done partial PPF in the past on my RS6 and an A4 and was never pleased so I am going all the way this time.

I've used G2 on 6 different cars and have not had to reapply on any of them and they all look like the day they were applied (oldest being 2016).
np20412 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
Quote I received for my LC due in September is $10.5 which includes full PPF including inside lower doors panels, tint all around, and G2 techniq ceramic coating everywhere including wheel barrels. I have used G2 on other cars and it will easily last 8+ years IME. I use ONR to wash my car including wheels...been using it over 15 years with no issues ever.

I've done partial PPF in the past on my RS6 and an A4 and was never pleased so I am going all the way this time.

I've used G2 on 6 different cars and have not had to reapply on any of them and they all look like the day they were applied (oldest being 2016).
Whats your ONR technique for wheels? This is the one I still struggle with and bust out the hose for. My wheels are coated. Do you use just microfiber cloths that then don't return to the ONR bucket or do you use some other method? I don't want to have to use 3-4 microfiber every wash so I could use the big red sponge but the amount of dust just scares me in using my same ONR solution I use on the paint. Though I suppose I could do wheels last and then dump the bucket and clean the sponge properly.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 AM
stockGX11
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BoreRoverGuy
I don’t have the time to protect my cars as much as I’d like, nor trust in family members not to accidentally scratch my car (don’t make me show pictures), sometimes parking outside in the elements. What are you guys paying for full PPF on a car? I’ll probably add ceramic on top, but that’s a much easier job for any decent detailer to do. Thanks.
I paid just shy of $6500 full Xpel PPF w/ Ceramic. The film is warrantied for 10 years although the ceramic just 4.
BoreRoverGuy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the cheap Costco Microfiber towels for my wheels. I wash the car first and then use the same ONR bucket for my wheels...if the MF towels get much brake dust on them then I just throw them away. Importantly I wash them separately from everything else. My RS6 had gigantic 16 inch rotors and 10 piston calipers and I never had any issues.

A high quality ceramic coating (the G2 techniq coating is warranted for 8 years) pretty much makes the brake dust a non issue....it easily washes off. Of course I wash my wheels at least every 2 weeks so there is no long term accumulation.