LC Model (2018-present)

Stealth PPF USB

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-24, 10:17 PM
Geebs
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
The stealth on your GTS does look sweet, no doubt! I just keep going back and forth. The more I look at the structural blue LC with stealth below the more I really like it, but at the same time, I know stealth PPF can be a little more difficult to keep properly clean and is less forgiving when showing damage/scuffs/etc. I also wonder how bad it would look if something were to etch itself or stain the PPF in such a way that it can't be cleaned well. I have experienced this with satin-finish carbon fiber wrap in the past, and basically had to re-wrap. I get a similar risk exists with gloss PPF but it would be more forgiving in that it is not going to be as noticeable as it would be with a satin/matte finish.

To complicate matters, I also really love the USB in gloss so that makes the decision that much tougher. I will probably make the decision the day I drop it off for PPF once I can see both in person directly.

Totally get all your points and your mileage may vary but I’ve found Xpel Stealth to be extremely low maintenance. I also had it on my GT500 and currently on my ZL1 and it’s been a breeze to keep clean. It’s much better than satin vinyl and worlds better than satin paint. I had a Frozen Black painted BMW that was a nightmare to maintain.

If anything Satin PPF can get a bit dusty but if you put a ceramic coating like Xpel Fusion on top of it, all it needs is a rinse and it looks brand new again. Either way, curious to see what you choose.

My ZL1 and GT500 below if it helps make your mind up on the Stealth.

The following users liked this post:
np20412 (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 07:31 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Personally, I think the stealth film takes away from the beauty of USB and Structural Blue.... I would do the regular gloss PPF and enjoy the car.

And from someone that has had to remove an 8 year old PPF off a car... I would not ever say its easily reversable.
Old 07-12-24, 08:05 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 296 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_250
Personally, I think the stealth film takes away from the beauty of USB and Structural Blue.... I would do the regular gloss PPF and enjoy the car.

And from someone that has had to remove an 8 year old PPF off a car... I would not ever say its easily reversable.
I get it. I am going to see what it looks like in person and then decide. The gloss/shine of the USB is incredible, there is no doubt, but something about seeing satin on that LC above just tickles me.

If go with the stealth, I would probably have the stealth PPF removed after 5-7 years and then enjoy the USB at that point. My PPF Installer said as long as the film is still under their warranty they will remove the PPF and clean the paint of any residue for a flat rate of $750. Let's call up inflation and say that goes up to $1000 in 5-7 years. That is still way cheaper than a new wrap to enjoy what would basically be a brand new look for the entire vehicle.

My biggest concern with the stealth PPF is that if there is a section that takes damage from road debris (or worse, multiple sections from an accident), I basically HAVE to get that section re-wrapped or else the gloss finish underneath will forever shine through or I'd have some panels with gloss and some with satin finish, which just no.
With gloss PPF I could make the decision to either leave it if it's not too noticeable, or just pull the PPF off or not PPF any replacement panels and leave the paint bare from that point forward with no additional cost.

Last edited by np20412; 07-12-24 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-12-24, 08:24 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

I get it. I am going to see what it looks like in person and then decide. The gloss/shine of the USB is incredible, there is no doubt, but something about seeing satin on that LC above just tickles me.

If go with the stealth, I would probably have the stealth PPF removed after 5-7 years and then enjoy the USB at that point. My PPF Installer said as long as the film is still under their warranty they will remove the PPF and clean the paint of any residue for a flat rate of $750. Let's call up inflation and say that goes up to $1000 in 5-7 years. That is still way cheaper than a new wrap to enjoy what would basically be a brand new look for the entire vehicle.

My biggest concern with the stealth PPF is that if there is a section that takes damage from road debris (or worse, multiple sections from an accident), I basically HAVE to get that section re-wrapped or else the gloss finish underneath will forever shine through or I'd have some panels with gloss and some with satin finish, which just no.
With gloss PPF I could make the decision to either leave it if it's not too noticeable, or just pull the PPF off or not PPF any replacement panels and leave the paint bare from that point forward with no additional cost.
If you have any panel damaged from an accident, you’ll have to redo the PPF regardless if it’s gloss or satin.
I say go for it. There’s too of us with gloss USB here anyways.
Old 07-12-24, 08:31 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickL
If you have any panel damaged from an accident, you’ll have to redo the PPF regardless if it’s gloss or satin.
I say go for it. There’s too of us with gloss USB here anyways.
Unless you just don't PPF at that point. Honestly if I got into an accident and had to have any bits of the rear half of the car replaced and painted I would not PPF over it again. Probably same for the front unless it was the hood, and if the hood took damage I'd replace it with a CF hood anyway and PPF that. The accident will already give the resale a hit at that point, and they would no longer be originally painted panels so it would be hard for me to care at that point beyond a ceramic coating for ease of maintenance and chemical protection.

If it was stealth, I'd have to to keep the uniform look.
Old 07-12-24, 09:07 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

Unless you just don't PPF at that point. Honestly if I got into an accident and had to have any bits of the rear half of the car replaced and painted I would not PPF over it again. Probably same for the front unless it was the hood, and if the hood took damage I'd replace it with a CF hood anyway and PPF that. The accident will already give the resale a hit at that point, and they would no longer be originally painted panels so it would be hard for me to care at that point beyond a ceramic coating for ease of maintenance and chemical protection.

If it was stealth, I'd have to to keep the uniform look.
No, if it was stealth, remove the ppf and enjoy the USB in gloss.
Old 07-12-24, 09:44 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickL
No, if it was stealth, remove the ppf and enjoy the USB in gloss.
Yes but that would require removing the stealth from the entire vehicle including parts that weren't replaced, or redoing the PPF on the parts that were replaced. If someone rear ended you and you had stealth you'd remove your stealth PPF from the entire car as opposed to having the rear bumper and trunk lid redone in stealth? come on now. If the whole thing was in gloss you could just replace the rear bumper and trunk and not bother with PPF at all on those parts.

If it happens in year 5+ sure whatever,, but if accident happens in year 2, that's a gigantic waste of 8k.
Old 07-15-24, 03:06 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Updating my own thread with thoughts as I wait for delivery....today I am leaning a lot more heavily towards stealth.
  • Very unique look - though matte finishes are becoming ever more popular, especially in the EV (Tesla owners, that's you mainly) crowd. Feels like a big ol' middle finger to the EVs with my gas guzzling NA V8 (I'm not an EV hater, just thought this was an interesting contrarian point)
  • Driving around town I see tons of cars in colors very similar to USB (of course not USB, but close).Acura has one that is stunning and probably closest to USB (Apex Blue) and honda has one that is similar for their lineup, and I've seen them on some other makes/models as well. Of course the LC carries it's own unique flair in USB 2.0 that is unmatched by these others, but I also feel like setting apart even more. It would also distinguish from the tons of USB 2.0 ES/IS I do see around town.
  • The fact that if I ever want to enjoy the USB 2.0 in it's natural element down the line, the stealth PPF will allow me to do that whilst preserving the factory paint job underneath. To me this represents an even higher value proposition for the stealth and I find myself continuing to come back to this. Even if I have it all ripped off in 5 years, that's enjoyment of the matte/satin finish with a brand new USB 2.0 paint job to enjoy thereafter for just a couple bucks a day. This is a forever vehicle for me at this point.
  • I have the matte wheels with the bespoke and thus matches the theme of stealth, whereas against the gloss USB the matte wheels, while they still look great, still feel a bit out of place. As of now I don't foresee myself swapping the wheels (will probably just add spacers). I have wanted a true split 5-spoke ever since I saw the Vossen CV5s, but by the time I was in a place to swap wheels for my GS, Vossen stopped making them. This wheel really scratches that itch for me.
  • I showed my wife the above photo of structural blue in xpel stealth side by side with a glossy USB 2.0 LC and she voted for the stealth.

decisions, decisions...

Last edited by np20412; 07-15-24 at 03:12 PM.