LC Model (2018-present)

DIY Oil Change Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-24, 07:26 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by zissis
Guys .. I just got my free oil change a week or so ago at 1000 miles. Dealer was very clear free service at 1k miles and second free service at 5k miles. The first 2 services are free. If you choose to do the first one at 1k then the second is at 5k. For the 24s the first service is recommended at 1k as per the manual.

I also don't understand something ... My car was 125k out the door ... when you guys spend so much on a car why are you concerned on sending it in to the dealer for a 200 dollar oil change every year?? Granted that some of you guys did not pay cash for it so you might have a different sense of value of time versus money ... but still ... what exactly are you saving and how much time are you spending doing an oil change yourself and not bringing it in for a full service and oil change? This way they also do a full inspection which I don't think you will be doing.
Are they willing to give you 2 oil changes this way or are you gonna have to pay for the one at 5k? Thats the big question, because per the normal maintenance schedule between the first 2 visits there would only be one oil change. So I wonder if they just "advanced" your 5k oil change to now and thus at 5k you'll have to pay for the oil change portion of that service, while the rest of it (inspection etc) will be covered.

I don't plan on changing my own oil because I have young kids who demand attention and for 75% of the year it's 85 degrees and stupidly humid where I live. It ain't worth my time or effort for less than $120 at my dealer or slightly cheaper at a trusted independent shop. That said, I understand those that do because they either enjoy it, want some level of control over the maintenance of the vehicle that isn't a service bay black hole, they just want to save the money, or some combination of above.
Old 07-10-24, 07:30 PM
RCFun
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Guys .. I just got my free oil change a week or so ago at 1000 miles. Dealer was very clear free service at 1k miles and second free service at 5k miles. The first 2 services are free. If you choose to do the first one at 1k then the second is at 5k. For the 24s the first service is recommended at 1k as per the manual.

I also don't understand something ... My car was 125k out the door ... when you guys spend so much on a car why are you concerned on sending it in to the dealer for a 200 dollar oil change every year?? Granted that some of you guys did not pay cash for it so you might have a different sense of value of time versus money ... but still ... what exactly are you saving and how much time are you spending doing an oil change yourself and not bringing it in for a full service and oil change? This way they also do a full inspection which I don't think you will be doing.
I second this comment. Also, ymmv, but per the service schedule, the 1k first service does NOT include an oil change. Maybe some dealers do it, but plenty of comments on this board that they do not. So…it’s inconsistent to say the least.
Old 07-10-24, 07:33 PM
zissis
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFun
I second this comment. Also, ymmv, but per the service schedule, the 1k first service does NOT include an oil change. Maybe some dealers do it, but plenty of comments on this board that they do not. So…it’s inconsistent to say the least.
I specifically asked for the oil change to be included and the dealer obliged at no cost. You are correct though .. millage will vary.
Old 07-10-24, 07:35 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

Aside from cost, some of us prefer doing the work ourselves. I also before I got into finance and FLEO, have a automotive engineering background, so I am a bit biaesd to an extent.
The following users liked this post:
Badhobz (07-11-24)
Old 07-10-24, 07:36 PM
zissis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by np20412
Are they willing to give you 2 oil changes this way or are you gonna have to pay for the one at 5k? Thats the big question, because per the normal maintenance schedule between the first 2 visits there would only be one oil change. So I wonder if they just "advanced" your 5k oil change to now and thus at 5k you'll have to pay for the oil change portion of that service, while the rest of it (inspection etc) will be covered.

I don't plan on changing my own oil because I have young kids who demand attention and for 75% of the year it's 85 degrees and stupidly humid where I live. It ain't worth my time or effort for less than $120 at my dealer or slightly cheaper at a trusted independent shop. That said, I understand those that do because they either enjoy it, want some level of control over the maintenance of the vehicle that isn't a service bay black hole, they just want to save the money, or some combination of above.
5k oil change will also be free with the service.
np20412 (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 07:37 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

5k oil change will also be free with the service.
That's the answer I hope for with my dealer, but I could totally see them saying no since scheduled maintenance only includes 1 oil change between first 2 service visits.
Old 07-10-24, 07:39 PM
zissis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Aside from cost, some of us prefer doing the work ourselves. I also before I got into finance and FLEO, have a automotive engineering background, so I am a bit biaesd to an extent.
Doing it yourself because you love doing it means you also know what you are doing and probably are OCD enough to send the old oil to the lab at 1k miles to see how much material was used in the break in and send the second sample at 5k to make sure deposits are clear potentially as well. I understand in those cases, but most are not in that camp ... most likely including the OP.
Old 07-10-24, 07:40 PM
zissis
Pit Crew

That's the answer I hope for with my dealer, but I could totally see them saying no since scheduled maintenance only includes 1 oil change between first 2 service visits.
Does not hurt to ask.
np20412 (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 07:42 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Doing it yourself because you love doing it means you also know what you are doing and probably are OCD enough to send the old oil to the lab at 1k miles to see how much material was used in the break in and send the second sample at 5k to make sure deposits are clear potentially as well. I understand in those cases, but most are not in that camp ... most likely including the OP.
I don't think this is true at all. I love doing things I'm not great or an expert at if I enjoy learning and engaging in them. Auto maintenance is one of those things but I'm not gonna sweat in my garage and give up time with my kids over it. If I had a temp controlled garage and more free time I'd absolutely do it myself and I wouldn't send any oil anywhere for any analysis. I've changed intakes/exhausts, done spark plugs, and done a lot of wrapping on previous vehicles. I could have paid to have all that done but i did it to do it and learn and develop a hobby out of it. I just have different priorities in life at the moment.

Do you only do things for enjoyment that you are an absolute expert in? We are talking about an oil change not an engine swap.
zmanH2 (07-11-24)
Old 07-10-24, 08:01 PM
zissis
Pit Crew

I don't think this is true at all. I love doing things I'm not great or an expert at if I enjoy learning and engaging in them. Auto maintenance is one of those things but I'm not gonna sweat in my garage and give up time with my kids over it. If I had a temp controlled garage and more free time I'd absolutely do it myself and I wouldn't send any oil anywhere for any analysis. I've changed intakes/exhausts, done spark plugs, and done a lot of wrapping on previous vehicles. I could have paid to have all that done but i did it to do it and learn and develop a hobby out of it. I just have different priorities in life at the moment.

Do you only do things for enjoyment that you are an absolute expert in? We are talking about an oil change not an engine swap.
Yes I must admit that I am a strange beast. I focus at one hobby at a time until I can do it to my maximum potential and learn along the way of course. Each hobby usually lasts about 10 years then I move to the next ... except for my main hobby that I started back in the late 70s as a child that also ended up being my occupation while still a hobby and yes ... I am an expert at it by now and still love it.

In the end if people want to change their oil because they enjoy it that's one thing ... but trying to do it yourself to save money ... you are not saving money.
Old 07-10-24, 08:17 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

Pretty accurate statement. Blackstone labs is one of my go-to's!
The following 2 users liked this post by tofuprod:
Badhobz (07-11-24), zissis (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 08:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,348 Posts

In the end if people want to change their oil because they enjoy it that's one thing ... but trying to do it yourself to save money ... you are not saving money.
I have changed my own oil for the past 65+ years. Not because I enjoy it, but because I can see how much drains out & what the old oil looks like. I can see if there's any residue on my magnetic drain plug. I can also see the condition of the oil filter.

AND - because I know I'll do it right and use the oil and filter I want

Lou
zmanH2 (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 04:27 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Getting it done right either at a trusted independent mechanic and/or DIY is the biggest reason to avoid the dealer IMO. I've had experience at multiple Lexus dealers where they did NOT change the oil even though they were supposed to. A simple check of the dipstick shows it isn't the golden color of fresh oil.
zmanH2 (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 04:41 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I have changed my own oil for the past 65+ years. Not because I enjoy it, but because I can see how much drains out & what the old oil looks like. I can see if there's any residue on my magnetic drain plug. I can also see the condition of the oil filter.

AND - because I know I'll do it right and use the oil and filter I want

Lou
Lou, I'm not being cheeky, I'm genuinely curious.
Does this mean you are 75+ years old?
I always enjoy your wisdom you dispense here.
Bruce in Fl
Old 07-11-24, 05:54 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

i started doing oil changes on all my own lexususussu ever since I paid them 320 dollars Canadian to dump the oil at 1000kms (same 2 free services, the first one being an "inspection" only, and I elected to save the 2nd free one for 7000kms), only to find they overfilled it by almost 1qt and the oil filter was on so damn tight, I needed a 2ft breaker bar to get it loose.

I cant stand paying somebody money for shotty work. And this is the same dealer I've been going to for over 20 years, the service manager is on my whatsapp and we chat all the time. Even he says sometimes you just get a bad tech.
So now I'm basically doing all my own oil, but for harder more annoying stuff like brake fluid/tranny flushes/alignment/ ill still take it back to the dealership. JUST NOT OIL because i want it done right.
zmanH2 (07-11-24)

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change Tutorial