LC Model (2018-present)

DIY Oil Change Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-24, 06:16 AM
2ksoftail
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

People can spend their money on stuff that makes them feel better about what they are buying. Champion Labs parent company is Fram, you have heard of them, right? The super tech filters used to be made by Wix who makes NAPA Gold. They were used exclusively bt NASCAR in their $200,000 engines and thats good enough for me.
Old 07-11-24, 10:33 AM
zmanH2
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Let us know what they say! I'd love an extra oil change for free obviously lol but won't hold my breath
So according to my local dealer's service department, the LC500 gets 2 free complimentary maintenance at 1k and at 5k miles. We all know that the 1k is mostly inspection. I could have the oil change done at 1k but they would have to use up my 5k eligibility or pay out of pocket ($160).

Bottom line is only 1 free oil change.
Old 07-11-24, 10:43 AM
zmanH2
Rookie

Originally Posted by zissis
Doing it yourself because you love doing it means you also know what you are doing and probably are OCD enough to send the old oil to the lab at 1k miles to see how much material was used in the break in and send the second sample at 5k to make sure deposits are clear potentially as well. I understand in those cases, but most are not in that camp ... most likely including the OP.
I'm the OP and you are wrong, my friend.
Old 07-11-24, 10:49 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by zmanH2
So according to my local dealer's service department, the LC500 gets 2 free complimentary maintenance at 1k and at 5k miles. We all know that the 1k is mostly inspection. I could have the oil change done at 1k but they would have to use up my 5k eligibility or pay out of pocket ($160).

Bottom line is only 1 free oil change.
Thanks - that's what I figured and likely what most dealers will do.
Old 07-11-24, 11:55 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceinFla
Lou, I'm not being cheeky, I'm genuinely curious.
Does this mean you are 75+ years old?
I always enjoy your wisdom you dispense here.
Bruce in Fl
Actually, I'm 85

And No, I was not changing oil when I was 10

Lou
The following users liked this post:
BruceinFla (07-12-24)
Old 07-11-24, 01:02 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by zissis
Doing it yourself because you love doing it means you also know what you are doing and probably are OCD enough to send the old oil to the lab at 1k miles to see how much material was used in the break in and send the second sample at 5k to make sure deposits are clear potentially as well. I understand in those cases, but most are not in that camp ... most likely including the OP.
I’ve been reading about people sending their oil to a lab for analysis for years and never understood why. I think it’s the biggest waste of time and money. Have the results from a lab test ever made a difference in one’s car ownership experience? I never read about it. I guess if one built their own engine and wanted to know, yes, but on a mass produced engine?
Old 07-11-24, 01:14 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
I’ve been reading about people sending their oil to a lab for analysis for years and never understood why. I think it’s the biggest waste of time and money. Have the results from a lab test ever made a difference in one’s car ownership experience? I never read about it. I guess if one built their own engine and wanted to know, yes, but on a mass produced engine?
I agree,,,change the oil and ur good to go...when selling car buyers could give a ratsbutt about the results. save ur money and just change the oil whenever it turns ur props.. 5K for me w filter.
Old 07-11-24, 02:52 PM
Jgbnm1
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche calls for 10k oil changes. Many people do them more often. I used testing to convince myself that the oil was fine for 10k oil changes. Repeated the test 40k or so miles later just to check to make sure all seemed well.

For my LC, I’ll probably have 70-80k miles when the CPO warranty expires. May test the oil before then assuming I’m going to keep it longer.

Probably not necessary but peace of mind has some value.
Old 07-11-24, 03:23 PM
zmanH2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jgbnm1
Porsche calls for 10k oil changes. Many people do them more often. I used testing to convince myself that the oil was fine for 10k oil changes. Repeated the test 40k or so miles later just to check to make sure all seemed well.
I'm assuming you followed the 10k interval, correct? Were you happy with the reports?
Old 07-11-24, 04:53 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

Difference? no, not really but I'm sure it helps give people piece of mind in knowing that their engine is wearing in properly.

See the thread here:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/oil...anges.9557416/

I know its not LC, but what he did makes a lot of sense to me for breaking in his GTI. By his 4th oil change (this seems excessive even to me) his metal particulates were down to below "average" levels and thus showed a properly broken-in engine with the POTENTIAL for a long life. POTENTIAL being the key word here.

For me, I just did it at 1000, and again at 7000kms. Now ill go and do another oil change at 14,000kms or 6-8 months whatever comes first.
Old 07-12-24, 03:06 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Actually, I'm 85

And No, I was not changing oil when I was 10

Lou
I figured you could have been.
I helped change the plugs in a Sunbeam Tiger when I was 10. My father greatly appreciated it was my much smaller hands getting bloody doing it.
Bruce in Fl
​​​​​
Old 07-12-24, 05:39 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

I had a 65 Tiger.....there were two angled holes in firewall to get to rear plugs:}
Old 07-12-24, 07:32 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

But there were also things like Just 8" of air seperating the fuel lines to the electric fuel pump from the hot exhaust pipe directly under them.
The original Tiger was made in a garage in Cali by Ken Miles. He made the necessary firewall modifications to the Alpine with a sledgehammer.
NO A/C. No comparison. The Tiger was the hottest and coldest car I ever drove. I had a pair of flops melt to the floor once. I wore my Dad's USAF artic parka in the Tiger on long winter
drives in Georgia. I looked like a Mercury astronaut all bundled up inside the Tiger capsule.
Natural rubber windshield seals work fine in the cloudy UK, not so fine in the sun blazing SE USA.

The good old days often really weren't so good.
Bruce in Fl.
The following users liked this post:
KiwiGreg (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 12:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceinFla
I figured you could have been.
I helped change the plugs in a Sunbeam Tiger when I was 10. My father greatly appreciated it was my much smaller hands getting bloody doing it.
Bruce in Fl
​​​​​
Ever use one of these?

​​​​​​​Lou

Old 07-12-24, 02:15 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

I'm 68. So yes, lots of times.
I've also set the points on a VW with a folded match book cover.
Bruce in Fl

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change Tutorial