LC Model (2018-present)

DIY Oil Change Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-24, 05:15 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 177 Likes on 112 Posts

yes behind the passenger seat there was a shelf with cutout portion that lifted out,,,the fuel pump and lines were right atop the right muffler...i remember the NOISY fuel pump.sounded like a woodpecker pecking on a tin can.
Old 07-12-24, 08:05 PM
Jgbnm1
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zmanH2
I'm assuming you followed the 10k interval, correct? Were you happy with the reports?
In the 8-10k range. Reports were good and always showed oil life remaining. Psychologically still didn’t want to go over 10k although I think it would have been fine.
The following users liked this post:
zmanH2 (07-13-24)
Old 08-28-24, 06:54 PM
hainess
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zmanH2
New 2024 LC and I'm getting close to the 1,000 mile mark. I am planning on doing a DIY oil change but couldn't find one here nor in YT.

Any help? Procedure/Parts/Specs/etc

Coincidentally, I found these SuperTech oil filters on sale for $2.97 a piece @ Wally World. They are made in the USA by Champion Labs and supposedly excellent filters.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/992645950
It's typical and you just need the right wrench adapter for the filter which I bought off Amazon. The drain plug and the filter are near each other beneath the car. I'm actually doing my 6 month change next week since I didn't reach 5k miles in that time frame and replacing the lug with a Fumoto lug I bought. I'll take some pictures when I do it next week. I also use Quick Jacks at home which makes everything so much easier since our car is pretty low.
Old 08-29-24, 06:11 AM
Veight
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

And the dealer uses 55 gallon drums of oil that is not Toyota oil in the quart bottles. The dealer uses bulk oil that, although I’m sure meets minimum specs, is the cheapest bulk oil they can find. This goes for the Dino and synthetic oil they use. never assume the Lexus dealer uses Lexus/toyota oil. They never use the quart bottles that you can purchase from their parts dept.

I purchase 5 quart jugs of Castrol Edge synthetic 5-30 from Walmart. I also purchase Wix filters from rock auto in quantities of 5 since shipping costs are high. They are typically $24 / jug. I bring the oil and filter to my mechanic and I stand under the car while my mechanic changes my oil.

I may begin just doing my own changes but he only charges me $20 per change when I supply the parts.

Originally Posted by flowrider
I have changed my own oil for the past 65+ years. Not because I enjoy it, but because I can see how much drains out & what the old oil looks like. I can see if there's any residue on my magnetic drain plug. I can also see the condition of the oil filter.

AND - because I know I'll do it right and use the oil and filter I want

Lou
Old 09-06-24, 10:42 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 406 Likes on 282 Posts

I am at the dealer getting my 1k oil change done. I'm paying for it, not included for me at local dealer. 5k oil change will be free.

My dealer only has 5w-30 synthetic so that is what I'm getting. Will still change every 5k regardless, but Dino oil is out today at 1200 miles.

After the 5k one I might try to align my oil change intervals to early March and October, in order to do them myself outside of peak heat here.
Old 09-06-24, 01:31 PM
kirkd1
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
I am at the dealer getting my 1k oil change done. I'm paying for it, not included for me at local dealer. 5k oil change will be free.

My dealer only has 5w-30 synthetic so that is what I'm getting. Will still change every 5k regardless, but Dino oil is out today at 1200 miles.

After the 5k one I might try to align my oil change intervals to early March and October, in order to do them myself outside of peak heat here.
I had my 6 month change complete last week at 1800 miles.
Completed all
checks including rear diff. They stated that this and the 1 year service would be covered. It looks like I will be changing on time not miles.
Old 09-06-24, 02:31 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 406 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by kirkd1
I had my 6 month change complete last week at 1800 miles.
Completed all
checks including rear diff. They stated that this and the 1 year service would be covered. It looks like I will be changing on time not miles.
Yeah I think it's very dealer dependent. Some dealers apparently aren't even aware of the 1k/1mo interval for the LC so there you'd theoretically have more luck getting the 5k and 10k intervals covered. My service advisor was aware of it and made it known right away that if I wanted the oil changed it would be out of pocket, since this is technically the first of the two free scheduled services per the maintenance schedule for the LC and does not include an oil change. My service order even states "1k interval for Lexus Conventional Oil vehicles" on all the line items indicated with no charge (inspections, etc.).

Wasn't too bad, with coupon $116 out the door.
Old 09-07-24, 05:58 AM
legbuh
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Lift car or drive up on ramps
2. Remove oil drain plug circular panel. 2 10mm bolts.
3. Remove drain plug. Have a big container ready for 9+ quarts.
4. Remove oil filter panel. 4 bolts. This is closer to the front of the car.
5. Remove oil filter.
6. Replace gasket on oil filter housing and replace oil filter.
7. Replace oil filter housing. Tighten until it stops, then snug it.
8. Replace oil drain plug gasket (make sure the old one isn't stuck to the pan). These gaskets are super cheap, used by pretty much every Toyota product, and easy to find.
9 Tighten drain plug to 30 lb ft.
10. Replace both panels.
11. Fill with 8.5 quarts. Manual says 5w-30.
12. Run for 10 minutes. Let cool, check oil and fill so the oil is between the dots. (I like to go anywhere from 3/4 to just under the top dot). Total will be appx 9 quarts.

This car is actually super easy to change the oil on. I use my Quick Jack to lift on the factory lift points.

I am glad I do it myself because I could see the Lexus dealership who did it last time overfilled it... mainly because they didn't replace the filter. They also got a couple bolts messed up between the drain plug and oil filter panels. So the 2 black ones that should be on the filler plug cover where on the oil filter panel and not even tightened (that goodness as it would have ruined the threads) They must have had the the FNG do it this last time.