LC Model (2018-present)

Should I return a Carvana Lexus LC500

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-24, 05:12 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 639 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by magistro
Ok, here's the deal I made with a dealer in WI. 5g refundable deposit. Contingent on successful return to Carvana. I would appreciate everybody's thoughts. Thanks again.

Sales receipt
might wanna block out your personal info off that screen shot.
Old 08-10-24, 05:25 PM
magistro
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your concern. I'll leave it up a bit longer than remove it.

Keep in mind that I already get 15 calls a day from nefarious people wanting to sell medicare supplement policies and of course several a week that want to steal money from my accounts. I suspect that half the world has my phone number at this point.
Old 08-10-24, 05:35 PM
cwest13
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't pay a dime for the added crap. Basically anything from the "Lexus Illumination" row down to the trade allowance row. To each their own on the additional warranties, but all the nitrogen, ceramic, skip chips, etc. is just added, marked up crap so they can make more $$$$.
The following 2 users liked this post by cwest13:
gdurhamski (08-10-24), kirkd1 (08-11-24)
Old 08-10-24, 06:58 PM
NickL
Racer

Received 428 Likes on 275 Posts

Agreed. Best to get the car without any “dealer accessories” added. Work with your local dealerships. If you need a dealership that doesn’t add these BS, I can give you contact of my local dealership.
However, I understand some people must have the vehicle and don’t mind these extra charges. YOLO. It’s a lot better than paying for Carvana used prices with hidden damages!
The following 2 users liked this post by NickL:
gdurhamski (08-10-24), magistro (08-11-24)
Old 08-10-24, 07:23 PM
Orion54
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with several others on trying to remove all of the added crap. Shop the price with other dealers since you are getting it out of state. Are you set on color? There are other verts in different colors that can compare with other dealers. If you have the patience, you will get a good/fair deal.
The following users liked this post:
kirkd1 (08-11-24)
Old 08-11-24, 12:03 AM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Randomly hit the wrong button on my phone and came across this thread. Saw “Carvana” in the title and had to click it. Sounds like you’ve arrived at the decision to return it and found another which (I agree with the others) makes sense in your situation. Not easy, I know, as it’s tough when you have the keys in hand to such a beautiful ride.

As someone who bought a GSF from Carvana and dealt with them and a bunch of issues, I just wanted to throw my thoughts about them for others if they want to explore buying a car from them. If you care to read the details, you can check it out here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nightmare.html

Just wanted to say not every experience from Carvana is a disastrous one but it is a huge gamble buying from them on a car sight unseen. If that LC was perfect minus the additional damage, you’d be singing their praises and ecstatic with the purchase. Obviously not the case here but I think it’s another good Carvana case study for others. The real cost of the gamble with Carvana is the non-refundable delivery fee. Is it worth taking a ~$2k chance on a six figure car where the sales process couldn’t be easier and you can possibly save thousands getting a good deal? That’s the real question. Depending on the situation and circumstances, I can see the answer as a potential yes or a no. I made the gamble and it worked out for me but not after a ton of time and stress for about a month.

I think the bottom line with Carvana is to understand what you are getting yourself into, prepare to eat the non-refundable transport cost, and expect the worst while hoping for the best.

Hope you get everything squared and into that other LC…it will make for a great cocktail story and your new car even more special considering what you went through to get it!
2959 (08-11-24)
Old 08-11-24, 08:32 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

speak of the devil, Carvana is showing up today to pick up my CRV which is being replaced by 24 RX350h.
Old 08-11-24, 02:16 PM
magistro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cwest13
Personally, I wouldn't pay a dime for the added crap. Basically anything from the "Lexus Illumination" row down to the trade allowance row. To each their own on the additional warranties, but all the nitrogen, ceramic, skip chips, etc. is just added, marked up crap so they can make more $$$$.
Just for clarity, you would not do the illumination package? I got the dealer to comp the nitrogen and the all weather floor liners. Minor concession. Thank you for your insight.
Old 08-11-24, 02:54 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Point number 1, I would never do business with Napleton (I had a really negative experience when trying to buy a Gen 2 NSX)
Point number 2, From what I se in your offer, they tacked on about $7,500 of high profit BS (would your car ever be in WI to get Nitrogen?), this is your red flag good Sir
Point number 3, There are plenty of other Lexus dealers who won't be looking to pick your pocket
Point number 4. I have had my 21 Convertible 3 1/2 years and it is a splendid car, I hope you get a straight deal and enjoy your new car
NickL (08-11-24)
Old 08-11-24, 03:35 PM
magistro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Point number 1, I would never do business with Napleton (I had a really negative experience when trying to buy a Gen 2 NSX)
Point number 2, From what I se in your offer, they tacked on about $7,500 of high profit BS (would your car ever be in WI to get Nitrogen?), this is your red flag good Sir
Point number 3, There are plenty of other Lexus dealers who won't be looking to pick your pocket
Point number 4. I have had my 21 Convertible 3 1/2 years and it is a splendid car, I hope you get a straight deal and enjoy your new car
I appreciate all your points. The most expensive item on the receipt is the 5 year prepaid maintenance for 2525.00. I was told that I would have approximately 8000.00 in required maintenance over the first 4 years. Not sure this is true. It seems like a good deal. I know these required maintenance services, past the first two which are free, can be very expensive. What do you this think? Still a no go?
Old 08-11-24, 03:47 PM
Nevada
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I appreciate all your points. The most expensive item on the receipt is the 5 year prepaid maintenance for 2525.00. I was told that I would have approximately 8000.00 in required maintenance over the first 4 years. Not sure this is true. It seems like a good deal. I know these required maintenance services, past the first two which are free, can be very expensive. What do you this think? Still a no go?
7 oil changes @ $200 each, cabin filters every 10,000 miles, engine air filters and brake fluid "refresh" during the 30K. This doesn't add up to $8000.
Old 08-11-24, 03:49 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

save ur $$$$, take the factory warranty and deal with it after that......thinking just oil changes every 5K after the 1st FREE oil change at 5K...8qts Toyota oil + filter maybe $100 plus ur time,,I enjoy working on my cars for maintenance..

question... 5 years prepaid maintenance? is this on top of factory 4 year so that would be 9 years in my math....$8000 in maintenance is pure BS in my knowledge...BIG NO in my book,,,dealer is jerking U.
Old 08-11-24, 04:08 PM
cwest13
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Just for clarity, you would not do the illumination package? I got the dealer to comp the nitrogen and the all weather floor liners. Minor concession. Thank you for your insight.
I don't know what the illumination package is. It certainly is not an option like illuminated door sills because it's a separate line item. I fear it's some ****ty aftermarket LED kit they put on the car. So no, I wouldn't pay for it and I would be pissed its installed on the car.
Old 08-11-24, 04:52 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 422 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by cwest13
I don't know what the illumination package is. It certainly is not an option like illuminated door sills because it's a separate line item. I fear it's some ****ty aftermarket LED kit they put on the car. So no, I wouldn't pay for it and I would be pissed its installed on the car.
I wonder if it's pulsating brake light or something useless like that...

There's no "dealer markup" on this car but there is over 7k of useless add ons and warranties.
Old 08-11-24, 06:37 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

What I am saying loudly is that we are all internet friends here and I would not let my friend do business with these folks if I was the decision maker.
Just step back a minute, they are tacking on a large chunk of money for things you will get little value from and likely no value from should you decide to sell your vehicle.
My car will be 4 years old in November. I do very little in terms of mileage. The only thing I have paid for is 1 oil change for like $180.
My servicing dealership (not where I purchased the car) refuses to charge me for summer/winter wheel and tire swaps (2 per year).

Quick Reply: Should I return a Carvana Lexus LC500