Should I return a Carvana Lexus LC500

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
magistro
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I return a Carvana Lexus LC500

Hi All,
I would really like to get some opinions on a purchase of a 24 Lexus LC500 from Carvana. I've had a rather bizarre experience so far. The car was originally offered at Carvana for 105. It's a Red convertible with touring package and upgraded wheels. It went into service in 23 and has about two and a half years left on the warranty. It has 1330 miles. I was watching it for a while and then it was purchased by somebody. About a month later it came back onto the Carvana site at 98,500. I still not sure this was a good deal, but I've wanted one of these forever, so I pulled the trigger. Carvana immediately removed 107g from my bank account. Tax and registration and car cost. I told them I had a tag and wouldn't need one. Three weeks later I got a ride to the Nashville Carvana facility by my son. Of course we were very excited. The first thing we both noticed when we pulled in was that the near new LC was parked right next to four constructions workers digging in the parking lot. This was disconcerting. Next, we went in to complete the transaction. We waited about 10 minutes, and a very nice gentleman said he would get our paperwork and complete the transaction. The first thing I said when we sat down was "Don't you think its risky to park the car right next to construction, barely 3 feet away". The Carvana person said "yes, it shouldn't be there", but they still didn't move the car. Of course I was very nervous about this. We finished the paperwork, and they moved the car to the front of the facility. Behold, mud and a scratch on the driver door that was next to the construction site. I went back in and told the Carvana person about it. Actually, you could see the scratch from inside the store! The car did have a blemish on the front bumper which was described on the website and I was ok with but now a new scratch on the driver door. I was pretty upset, but the Carvana person said not to worry the Carvana insurance company would pay to correct the scratch. OK, we called the insurance agent for Carvana together and they said they would need to put in a claim. I was under the impression that the Carvana salesperson would put in the claim but no. When I called the next day the insurance company said they had no record of the call, but I could submit a claim. Another Suprise, it was my responsibility to fight with the insurance company. The day before when I took possession of the car, I drove it directly to the CoolSprings Lexus dealer for an inspection. Upon their inspection they found additional scratches under the lip of the bumper, deep ones. I reported those also. After many calls to Carvana and their insurance company (SilverRock is their name), they denied the claim. They said these were acceptable wear and tear issues even though they were not reported on the Carvana website. The Cool Springs Lexus dealer was kind enough to have their approved body shop do an estimate to fix the paint and scratches, 3200.00. I then went back to Carvana and made another request for assistance, of course with several calls. The latest is they may pay to repaint the bumper if I'm willing to live with the door. To me it seems crazy. They actually haven't made a decision yet. Apparently, they will inform me on Monday. Honestly, I'm expecting more bull****. I thought I was saving money on this 24 LC but now I'm afraid I'm not. Plus, I'm getting a compromised sort of new car... for 98,500. I don't want to return it; I love this car but there are two undisclosed cosmetic paint issues. The Lexus inspection came up good except for the paint issues. Here's my simple question... Should I return the car for a full refund? I have this option for a few more days. Or should I pay the body shop for 3200 for the paint repairs... possibly with some assistance from Carvana. I'm really torn about what to do and I'm afraid that my love for this car will cause me to make a bad decision. Could I please get your objective opinions and recommendations? Thank you all in advance.
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Orkboyz
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by magistro
H. I don't want to return it; I love this car but there are two undisclosed cosmetic paint issues. The Lexus inspection came up good except for the paint issues. Here's my simple question... Should I return the car for a full refund?.
It seems like you are leaning toward keeping the car and "hoping" carvana and their insurance steps up. Hope is not anything to rely on, so here is my objective opinion as an outside observer.

If they or their insurance are not taking care of things to your satisfaction, get your money back. The more you get the run-around the less time you have left with their 7 day or 14 day (whichever it is) buyback guarantee. What are you losing by getting your money back? You are losing out on giving them 100K. What are they loosing? Keeping your 100K.

If the door damage was not previously disclosed, or is, in fact, new, I feel that should be covered as it is obvious. However, scratches under the lip of the bumper (probably from scraping an easement or a parking curb) will likely not be covered. If they are smart they will ask you a question that has no right answer, "Did you inspect the car before signing the paperwork?" If you say yes, then they counter that you obviously already knew of the scratches. If you say no, they counter that there is no way for them to know when the damage happened, essentially hinting that you actually damaged the car.

Also. someone bought the car and it came back to Carvan within a month. That would have been a red flag for me. Did you ask carvana why it was brought back?

Last edited by Orkboyz; Yesterday at 04:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
magistro
7th Gear

Thank you. Wise advice. Your correct in that I have a strong inclination to keep the car and pay the Bodyshop myself. My heart tells me this. My brain is telling me to return the car. I think also that what is also holding me back is the price of a new 24 vert would be 20g more... maybe. Actually, on pricing I'm not certain. Anyway, thanks for the advice... very sound. BTW, they extended the return date. I have a few extra days.

It seems that the return policy actually works in favor of Carvana. They deliver a compromised car and the buyer's only option is to return it. Carvana fixes nothing. Plus, Carvana has the car funds for anywhere from a week to a month. In my case over a 100g for a month. Plus, I have a huge amount of time invested in this transaction.

Last edited by magistro; Yesterday at 04:43 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Orkboyz
Driver

I fully understand the brain prioritizing satisfaction over practicality, especially when buying a car that is going to be more than an everyday grocery getter. I am guessing it is a car you want but do not absolutely need, which only enhances the imperfections. When you want something, you want it to be perfect. When you need something, you just need to work.
The following users liked this post:
magistro (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

How perfect that scratch will be fixed?

yep, exactly, you will spend money and still see the spot every time you get to the car. Every freaking time. Because it is a drivers door.
do you want that experience for 100k , if so keep the car.
magistro (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Orion54
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2 cents. It all depends on what you are looking for. We had the same thoughts when looking for an LC vert. Did we want a great deal? Of course but those seem few and far between with the number of LCs made and sold. We boiled it down to, how long do intend to keep this car. Since it's for my wife and she absolutely loves it as do I, we decided to get the best deal we could for a new one. She wanted an Inspiration edition because of it's colors interior and exterior. One dealer wanted $170 after tax and tags and PPF. Mark up was crazy. Found a fair deal from a LA Lexus dealer. We didn't expect to get a great deal, just a fair one which we believe we did. No worrying about if it has any issues that aren't covered by Lexus. I can honestly say that we don't regret it one bit.

Now if you aren't planning to keep this LC a long time, you have several options, but based on your experiences with Carvana now, I wouldn't expect anything better going past your deadline to get your money back. In fact, I would expect it to get worse. Again, just my 2 cents. There should be fair deals if you are willing to be patient and look around. In our case, the Inspiration vert isn't that readily available but the one you like should or may be. I would not want to go home with the scratches and paint over bumper. No amount of deal is worth the headache and PITA treatment from the car dealer whether Lexus or anyone else.
magistro (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
magistro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Orkboyz
It seems like you are leaning toward keeping the car and "hoping" carvana and their insurance steps up. Hope is not anything to rely on, so here is my objective opinion as an outside observer.

If they or their insurance are not taking care of things to your satisfaction, get your money back. The more you get the run-around the less time you have left with their 7 day or 14 day (whichever it is) buyback guarantee. What are you losing by getting your money back? You are losing out on giving them 100K. What are they loosing? Keeping your 100K.

If the door damage was not previously disclosed, or is, in fact, new, I feel that should be covered as it is obvious. However, scratches under the lip of the bumper (probably from scraping an easement or a parking curb) will likely not be covered. If they are smart they will ask you a question that has no right answer, "Did you inspect the car before signing the paperwork?" If you say yes, then they counter that you obviously already knew of the scratches. If you say no, they counter that there is no way for them to know when the damage happened, essentially hinting that you actually damaged the car.

Also. someone bought the car and it came back to Carvan within a month. That would have been a red flag for me. Did you ask carvana why it was brought back?
All they would tell me about this was it was a one owner car. Nothing about the failed purchase. And you are right of course... it was a red flag that I was aware of and chose to ignore.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 365 Likes on 239 Posts

If it was me, I wouldn’t take it. Knowing that there’s a big scratched that was repaired and I had to pay for it. You’re talking about close to 100k purchase on a 114k new.
Unless there’s something really special about that car, I would find something else. A lot of the LC on dealers lot are going at some discount. Just think about that. Worst case, you’re paying 114k vs. the 94+3.
To me, I wouldn’t even think about it. Get your money back and buy one that is absolutely perfect without the drama.
Also, there’s no word that the LC won’t continue in 2025. You have a lot of time and chance to get one.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickL:
Orion54 (Yesterday), StuM (Today)
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Personally I’ve never purchased a used Lexus that wasn’t CPO (certified pre-owned). That does limit your choices and may raise the cost, but I’ve liked the extended warranty and inspection/replacements (tires, windshields etc.). That said, the LC seems to be pretty trustworthy with maintenance. I’d probably be more concerned about hidden damage, flooding or somebody using it on YouTube racing.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Orkboyz
Driver

Originally Posted by microsup
How perfect that scratch will be fixed?

yep, exactly, you will spend money and still see the spot every time you get to the car. Every freaking time. Because it is a drivers door.
do you want that experience for 100k , if so keep the car.
Good point. Plus if it has body work done to pretty up the door and bumper, and the shop reports the work, then it shows up on Carfax and all of the other car repots you can buy. Now you have an LC500 with reported repaired damage to the front and the door. It won't be listed as a scratch repair, just damage repair
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
RCFun
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Let them play into your bluff

I know this is easy to say: but you should resist being emotional about a car purchase. There will also be another LC.

That being said, if you’re set on this particular car, then ask for your money back, right now. They won’t want to take it back a second time. Maybe they pay for the damage or half of it and cut you a check.

If they say, ok we’ll take it back, just say nah I changed my mind.

but don’t delay, ask for it back now. $100k is a lot for a car dealership to part with and then have to readvertise and do the paperwork to sell it again. They rather cut a check for a few grand.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
magistro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by NickL
If it was me, I wouldn’t take it. Knowing that there’s a big scratched that was repaired and I had to pay for it. You’re talking about close to 100k purchase on a 114k new.
Unless there’s something really special about that car, I would find something else. A lot of the LC on dealers lot are going at some discount. Just think about that. Worst case, you’re paying 114k vs. the 94+3.
To me, I wouldn’t even think about it. Get your money back and buy one that is absolutely perfect without the drama.
Also, there’s no word that the LC won’t continue in 2025. You have a lot of time and chance to get one.
Actually it was 98,500 plus 1800 transportation that is non-refundable plus 3 for the bodywork. Probably makes no sense to keep it. I'll find out what they are willing to pay on monday.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
NickL
Instructor

Originally Posted by magistro
Actually it was 98,500 plus 1800 transportation that is non-refundable plus 3 for the bodywork. Probably makes no sense to keep it. I'll find out what they are willing to pay on monday.
I apologize. I did not read your post thoroughly. There’s no way I would take that car. That’s over 103k for a used that will probably have a “damage reported” on carfax and with 2.5 years of warranty.
InfraRed LC500 isn’t exactly rare. They’re one of the most common color actually. I did a quick search and found at least 3 infrared convertibles with 2.5k advertised discount. I wouldn’t be surprised if you can get the 114k down to 104k. The wheels might not be the one you want but that can easily be swapped.
Look around. Be patient. I know LC500 purchase is mostly an emotional one but you can do better. Especially a red that is very common.

StuM (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
NickL
Instructor

Those are new ‘24 infrared. If you willing to go ‘23 certified, there much more.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
magistro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by NickL
I apologize. I did not read your post thoroughly. There’s no way I would take that car. That’s over 103k for a used that will probably have a “damage reported” on carfax and with 2.5 years of warranty.
InfraRed LC500 isn’t exactly rare. They’re one of the most common color actually. I did a quick search and found at least 3 infrared convertibles with 2.5k advertised discount. I wouldn’t be surprised if you can get the 114k down to 104k. The wheels might not be the one you want but that can easily be swapped.
Look around. Be patient. I know LC500 purchase is mostly an emotional one but you can do better. Especially a red that is very common.
Thank you Nick. I think you put the last nail in the coffin. I'm going to cancel the car. I'll still be down 1800 for the transport and 400 or so to the dealer but I think that can't be helped.
StuM (Today)

Quick Reply: Should I return a Carvana Lexus LC500