LC Model (2018-present)

Door handles and the gear confabulator

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:52 AM
SonOfABisc
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Door handles and the gear confabulator

I've been looking at an LC for next year, but have questions about the pop-out door handles, and whatever the heck Lexus has done with the gear selecting electromechanical device.

If I buy one, it would be my only car, so I'd use these things enough to get familiar with them - I think.

I tried searching for a couple of pages with no luck, so I just wanted to ask owners if they even think about those two things anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SonOfABisc; Today at 11:57 AM.
Old Today, 11:03 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 370 Likes on 241 Posts

Nope. It became natural after a couple drive.
just be careful not to confuse the park button with the 360 camera button lol.
I did that once while pulling into a parking spot. Wanted to check how close I was to the curb in front of me. Car wasn’t fully stop and I pressed the park button instead of the 360 cam. Thought I hit something or someone hit me. Took me a second to realize what I’ve done. For this reason, I’ve set the 360 camera to come on automatically at low speed so I wouldn’t have to reach for the button again.
Old Today, 12:01 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 357 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
Nope. It became natural after a couple drive.
just be careful not to confuse the park button with the 360 camera button lol.
I did that once while pulling into a parking spot. Wanted to check how close I was to the curb in front of me. Car wasn’t fully stop and I pressed the park button instead of the 360 cam. Thought I hit something or someone hit me. Took me a second to realize what I’ve done. For this reason, I’ve set the 360 camera to come on automatically at low speed so I wouldn’t have to reach for the button again.
I set my 360 camera to auto to avoid this as well, lol
Old Today, 12:35 PM
Orion54
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
I set my 360 camera to auto to avoid this as well, lol
How did you set this? TIA
Old Today, 12:47 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Orion54
How did you set this? TIA
Hit the camera button and you'll see on the left side of the screen are a bunch of options. Check the one that is an icon of a Camera with an A in it, yours is likely crossed out currently. Toggle it so it's not crossed out and that will have it come on automatically at speeds below 7mph.
Old Today, 12:47 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 370 Likes on 241 Posts

Press the 360 camera button then there’s a button on the screen that has something like an “A” for auto.
The following users liked this post:
Orion54 (Today)
Old Today, 12:49 PM
Orion54
Rookie

Hit the camera button and you'll see on the left side of the screen are a bunch of options. Check the one that is an icon of a Camera with an A in it, yours is likely crossed out currently. Toggle it so it's not crossed out and that will have it come on automatically at speeds below 7mph.
Thanks! Will be trying it out.
Old Today, 12:55 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks! Will be trying it out.
It's section 11 of the multimedia manual. I'll be honest, I did not read the manual but was playing around with the camera and came across. Then I saw there are tons of options within the camera system, it is quite surprising actually. Give the manual a read, it's worth it to know how much you can customize/change views.
Old Today, 12:58 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SonOfABisc
I've been looking at an LC for next year, but have questions about the pop-out door handles, and whatever the heck Lexus has done with the gear selecting electromechanical device.

If I buy one, it would be my only car, so I'd use these things enough to get familiar with them - I think.

I tried searching for a couple of pages with no luck, so I just wanted to ask owners if they even think about those two things anymore.

Thanks in advance.
I've had the car a week and am getting used to the gear shifter, though I still occasionally end up in N more often than I'd like. It still feels natural for me to hold the level over to the left after shifting to R, which of course puts you back in N. I find it mainly happens when I'm trying to fix my parking and rapidly going between D and R that I forget to release the shifter back to it's natural position on the right.

I don't suspect I'll be making the error too much longer. To be honest I find having to hit the button for P to be more annoying than anything. It's a completely extra motion than a typical shifter and that is taking some getting used to.

The door handles are awesome. I wish they'd pop out when approaching with the key in your wallet/pocket without having to hit the unlock button, but alas you have to touch the divot. Easy enough though. I particularly like the one-press to lock feature when walking away.
The following 2 users liked this post by np20412:
2959 (Today), SonOfABisc (Today)
Old Today, 01:15 PM
Orion54
Rookie

It's section 11 of the multimedia manual. I'll be honest, I did not read the manual but was playing around with the camera and came across. Then I saw there are tons of options within the camera system, it is quite surprising actually. Give the manual a read, it's worth it to know how much you can customize/change views.
Do you have a link to the multimedia manual? I was looking in the Owners Manual on PDF.
Old Today, 01:18 PM
Orion54
Rookie

Do you have a link to the multimedia manual? I was looking in the Owners Manual on PDF.

Found it online. Link for those interested:

LC500 vert Multimedia Manual
Old Today, 02:10 PM
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had the car a week and am getting used to the gear shifter, though I still occasionally end up in N more often than I'd like. It still feels natural for me to hold the level over to the left after shifting to R, which of course puts you back in N. I find it mainly happens when I'm trying to fix my parking and rapidly going between D and R that I forget to release the shifter back to it's natural position on the right.

I don't suspect I'll be making the error too much longer. To be honest I find having to hit the button for P to be more annoying than anything. It's a completely extra motion than a typical shifter and that is taking some getting used to.

The door handles are awesome. I wish they'd pop out when approaching with the key in your wallet/pocket without having to hit the unlock button, but alas you have to touch the divot. Easy enough though. I particularly like the one-press to lock feature when walking away.
Agree with the shifting, Rev'd the engine a couple of times thinking it was in D or R but was still in N, usually when parking.

Park button is still a conscious effort although I've read some just shut off the ignition after stopping;

In the following situations, the shift position
is automatically changed to P.

●When pressing the engine switch with
the vehicle stopped while the engine
switch is in ON and the shift position is in
a position other than P (after the shift
position has changed to P, the engine
switch will turn off)*

Old Today, 02:41 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2959
Agree with the shifting, Rev'd the engine a couple of times thinking it was in D or R but was still in N, usually when parking.

Park button is still a conscious effort although I've read some just shut off the ignition after stopping;

In the following situations, the shift position
is automatically changed to P.

●When pressing the engine switch with
the vehicle stopped while the engine
switch is in ON and the shift position is in
a position other than P (after the shift
position has changed to P, the engine
switch will turn off)*

Interesting - I wasn't aware of that. Does it engage the Auto Parking Brake in the same manner if doing that? If so, I can see myself skipping putting in park entirely as well lol
Old Today, 04:48 PM
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting - I wasn't aware of that. Does it engage the Auto Parking Brake in the same manner if doing that? If so, I can see myself skipping putting in park entirely as well lol
I’ve not personally tried it, a little wary and don’t want to be the first to drive thru the garage. But it makes sense that it would if already set to automatic for the parking brake. May be worth a test to see what the display panel says.
Old Today, 05:00 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2959
I’ve not personally tried it, a little wary and don’t want to be the first to drive thru the garage. But it makes sense that it would if already set to automatic for the parking brake. May be worth a test to see what the display panel says.
I just tried it and it's perfect. Way easier than consciously hitting the park button. Parking brake engaged, doors unlocked. You can tell it put itself in park a second before it turns off, then the steering wheel telescopes if you have that enabled and the PARK illumination comes on.

Thanks for the tip!!
The following users liked this post:
2959 (Today)

Quick Reply: Door handles and the gear confabulator