LC Model (2018-present)

LC500 owner considering buying a LC500 Convertible (QUESTIONS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-24, 01:09 PM
ISellHomes
Rookie

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Question LC500 owner considering buying a LC500 Convertible (QUESTIONS)

I am considering selling my '18 LC500 and purchasing a '21 LC500 Convertible. I have never liked the jerky transmission and harsh suspension on my 2018 coupe, so this is one of the reasons for considering the upgrade. The other reason is that I own a 2005 Honda S2000 that is difficult to drive comfortably at my height and if I buy the LC500 convertible, I won't necessarily need the S2000. It sounds like a "win / win" possibly.

1.) How bad is the cowl shake? I don't drive my LC hard, but I would still like to know what other LC convertible owners experience.
2.) How well does the convertible top insulate in Texas summer heat? Summer is obviously hot in my part of the world, but is the interior comfortable once the A/C cools the cabin?
3.) How difficult is it to take care of the tan colored convertible top?

Any other important feedback would be appreciated as I don't need to do this, but would like to.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Old 08-23-24, 06:23 AM
xwndycty
Driver

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ISellHomes
I am considering selling my '18 LC500 and purchasing a '21 LC500 Convertible. I have never liked the jerky transmission and harsh suspension on my 2018 coupe, so this is one of the reasons for considering the upgrade. The other reason is that I own a 2005 Honda S2000 that is difficult to drive comfortably at my height and if I buy the LC500 convertible, I won't necessarily need the S2000. It sounds like a "win / win" possibly.

1.) How bad is the cowl shake? I don't drive my LC hard, but I would still like to know what other LC convertible owners experience.
2.) How well does the convertible top insulate in Texas summer heat? Summer is obviously hot in my part of the world, but is the interior comfortable once the A/C cools the cabin?
3.) How difficult is it to take care of the tan colored convertible top?

Any other important feedback would be appreciated as I don't need to do this, but would like to.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
I drive a 2023 LC 500 convertible (currently 6.4K miles) and here are my thoughts on your questions:
1) The top is down about 95% of the time I drive this car (it's beautiful here in NC) and I don't see ANY noticeable cowl shake. I'd also say out of all of the other convertibles I've owned over the years (Triumph Spitfire, M3 BMW, Firebird, 3 Corvettes, etc.), the Lexus is the BEST.
2) With that being said, this Summer we had a run of three weeks in a row where the temps were in the high 90's (and high humidity). During that time, I drove w/the top up and AC on and it was extremely comfortable (the seat cooling works great).
3) My car is cloudburst gray, toasted caramel with a BLACK top...I've had tan and white tops in the past and they were difficult to keep clean (and almost always showed the fold creases in the top w/some discoloration). My preference is either black or dark blue but to each his own.
All the best on your purchase (sad to hear you'll be giving up your S2000 - that's a great car, too! Greg
The following 2 users liked this post by xwndycty:
2959 (08-24-24), ISellHomes (08-23-24)
Old 08-23-24, 06:57 AM
ISellHomes
Rookie

Thank you very much for the detailed reply! Very helpful!
Old 08-23-24, 07:19 AM
schafari
10th Gear

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in TX with my 2024 LC convertible and there is absolutely zero issue with the LC keeping you as cold as you want. This top is unlike any soft top I have ever seen. It is thick, well insulated, and honestly, most times I chuckle because I totally forget I am in a convertible. It is that good. Forget cow shake. The thing feels like a giant rigid aluminum brick as it relates to cowl shake. You will not believe how solid and "just right" if feels to drive. You become one with the LC and drive with it rather than drive it. (Hip point has everything to do with this)

That being said, you mentioned your height being an issue in your current roadster. . . I did notice that the LC headroom is a bit tight. You have the LC coupe, so you probably already know this. Not sure if it is different in convertible and coupe, but I would sit in one if you are super tall. (You will certainly have to remove your cowboy hat first;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by schafari:
ISellHomes (08-23-24), xwndycty (08-26-24)
Old 08-23-24, 07:53 AM
ISellHomes
Rookie

Originally Posted by schafari
I live in TX with my 2024 LC convertible and there is absolutely zero issue with the LC keeping you as cold as you want. This top is unlike any soft top I have ever seen. It is thick, well insulated, and honestly, most times I chuckle because I totally forget I am in a convertible. It is that good. Forget cow shake. The thing feels like a giant rigid aluminum brick as it relates to cowl shake. You will not believe how solid and "just right" if feels to drive. You become one with the LC and drive with it rather than drive it. (Hip point has everything to do with this)

That being said, you mentioned your height being an issue in your current roadster. . . I did notice that the LC headroom is a bit tight. You have the LC coupe, so you probably already know this. Not sure if it is different in convertible and coupe, but I would sit in one if you are super tall. (You will certainly have to remove your cowboy hat first;-)
Thank you for your reply and I am thrilled to hear your thoughts about the LC convertible. I am 6'3" and have no issues with comfort or headroom in my LC coupe (like I do in the S2000), so I am not worried about comfort whatsoever. Although I haven't driven a LC convertible yet, I did sit in one with the top up and had no issues with headroom, etc. Do you have a light colored top on your LC and if so, any issues keeping it clean? My current LC is garaged and the convertible will be as well, so it will only be outside when I drive somewhere. By the way, where are you in Texas? I live in Houston.
Old 08-23-24, 08:30 AM
schafari
10th Gear

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in the DFW area, but bought my LC500c in Houston at Westside Lexus. I have the black top so can't comment on the light colored top. They make cloth top specific cleaner, horsehair brush, and protectent that I have used for decades on my cloth tops. I would not worry about it, unless it is not garaged ever. (Gasp)
The following users liked this post:
ISellHomes (08-23-24)
Old 08-23-24, 09:06 AM
ISellHomes
Rookie

How ironic. I live right down I-10 from Westside and that's where I bought my LC as well. My salesman was Mike Gonzales. Who did you use?
Old 08-26-24, 08:39 AM
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

While we don't get as hot as Texas, I did have reservations about getting a black interior with a black top. If it's sitting outside in the sun, I just remote start anyway. The Climate Concierge works as described with top up/down. Yesterday we hit 90*, was out cruising with the top down and no problems (need sunscreen though). At every stop, you could feel the A/C temp change keeping you comfortable (mines usually set at 76*). Just rolling up the side windows also makes a significant difference along with lowering outside noise. I don't notice any shake and luckily do not have any squeaks/rattles that I can tell. Advantage of the Vert is if the tops down, super easy ingress/egress! While I've only owned one other Vert (IS250C), I knew I wanted this car since seeing it at the Detroit Auto show. Bought it without ever driving an LC or even test driving (matter of fact, didn't even sit in one till purchasing this, but I have pretty good faith in my current Dealership). First car I've owned that means more than just transportation to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2959:
ISellHomes (08-26-24), xwndycty (08-26-24)
Old 08-26-24, 07:54 PM
DFW-SC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

1.) How bad is the cowl shake? Some cowl shake. Not enough to be annoying.
2.) How well does the convertible top insulate in Texas summer heat? Not to worry about 110 degree days. You will not notice it with the top up.
3.) How difficult is it to take care of the tan colored convertible top? dunno, we have the black top.

No complaints. Wife has had convertibles since 2000 and the LC500 is at the top of the heap.
The following users liked this post:
ISellHomes (08-26-24)