Ready to pull the trigger - advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-24, 09:19 PM
Geebs
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ready to pull the trigger - advice appreciated

Hi all,

I've been mulling about getting an LC 500 for over a year now and I think I'm finally ready. My only concern is that where I live there's nearly nothing to take on decent test drive, so I have to rely on review and forum posts to make a decision. This will be purely a weekend car as I have a different daily. I have leaned towards the sportier end of the spectrum with my previous/current cars (Shelby GT500, ZL1, C8, 718 GTS), but I think will like the more GT vibe of the LC as long as it doesn't feel floaty.

I'm leaning towards getting a Bespoke coupe because it doesn't seem like there's any other way to black out the chrome trim from factory and the colour combination I'm partial to is not possible through the configurator. My questions are:
  1. I understand Bespoke doesn't get VGRS or rear steer. Does the VGRS make the steering lighter at low speeds? The only LC I drove was around the dealership lot (sold unit) and the steering was much lighter than anything I'm used to - even more so than the Golf GTI that I daily. I actually think I'd prefer not having VGRS if that's the case.
  2. How has the white leather interior held up for those who have it?
  3. Are there any "must have" options or accessories I need if I go bespoke? Beyond the colours I'm thinking sports seats, carbon roof, black trim, performance option. I'm torn on whether to get a retractable spoiler or order a carbon one to match the roof.
  4. The dealer suggested to test drive an IS500 to get an idea. Is that even comparable enough to get a good idea of an LC?
I know there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum so I appreciate any advice.
Old 08-30-24, 09:32 PM
Reefbreak
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geebs
Hi all,

I've been mulling about getting an LC 500 for over a year now and I think I'm finally ready. My only concern is that where I live there's nearly nothing to take on decent test drive, so I have to rely on review and forum posts to make a decision. This will be purely a weekend car as I have a different daily. I have leaned towards the sportier end of the spectrum with my previous/current cars (Shelby GT500, ZL1, C8, 718 GTS), but I think will like the more GT vibe of the LC as long as it doesn't feel floaty.

I'm leaning towards getting a Bespoke coupe because it doesn't seem like there's any other way to black out the chrome trim from factory and the colour combination I'm partial to is not possible through the configurator. My questions are:
  1. I understand Bespoke doesn't get VGRS or rear steer. Does the VGRS make the steering lighter at low speeds? The only LC I drove was around the dealership lot (sold unit) and the steering was much lighter than anything I'm used to - even more so than the Golf GTI that I daily. I actually think I'd prefer not having VGRS if that's the case.
  2. How has the white leather interior held up for those who have it?
  3. Are there any "must have" options or accessories I need if I go bespoke? Beyond the colours I'm thinking sports seats, carbon roof, black trim, performance option. I'm torn on whether to get a retractable spoiler or order a carbon one to match the roof.
  4. The dealer suggested to test drive an IS500 to get an idea. Is that even comparable enough to get a good idea of an LC?
I know there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum so I appreciate any advice.
Can't comment on many of your questions as I did not go "Bespoke"...am (im)patiently waiting on my NG/black coupe to be delivered. I've not driven the IS500 but would disagree with your dealer. That said, based on the previous cars you've owned, I highly recommend you spend a day with the LC. Is there a Turo near you? If not, consider flying somewhere where there is one to drive with Turo. That was the experience that sold me on the LC.
Old 08-30-24, 09:37 PM
Geebs
8th Gear

Thanks for the feedback! I had the same feeling too that it was just the engine that was the same on the IS500 and LC500. The transmission, suspension, exhaust, interior, suspension, etc are all different so I don't see myself getting an accurate gauge from an IS. I just googled it and there's a company that rents them out but they're like 400+ km away. Maybe I'll make the trip out.
Old 08-30-24, 09:38 PM
Geebs
8th Gear

By the way congrats on your order and hoping to see pics of your car when it arrives!
Old 08-30-24, 11:13 PM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

And IS500 is not at all comparable --- the interior feels far cheaper and much more dated and the automatic gearbox is much more sluggish. Also doesn't handle as well or is nearly as stiff. The only thing sort of comparable is the engine note but even that isn't as good as the LC. The IS is "floaty" but the LC is not. In fact, the LC is stiffer than a LFA.

If you do testdrive the LC, definitely put the car in sport+ and be aware that power doesn't really kick in until 3.5k rpms (it'll feel sluggish below that but then really rips). Also make sure you're in manual mode if you want to shift with the paddles otherwise, the shifts aren't as crisp in automatic mode when using the paddle.

Last thought, I agree that dark chrome is a really good nice-to-have, however it's pretty easy to wrap the existing chrome grills, roof blades, and taillamps with a darker vinyl. I did it on mine and it made a huge difference ---~ $400 to pay someone to do it. I think you're more likely to find a deal on an existing LC than waiting for an eternity for a bespoke (I waited over a year and gave up).
The following users liked this post:
2959 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM
Geebs
8th Gear

Yeah, I figured as much about the IS500, very glad to hear the LC is more planted. Great point on the vinyl wrapping of the trim my friend got that done on his car and it looked great. Unfortunately, where I live there are no new existing new LCs to get a deal on so the options are to order bespoke or order the traditional way.

I'll definitely take your advice on Sport+. The only reason I even thought of this car is because I had one pass me on a country road and I had to do a double take just based on how it looked and how it sounded. The exhaust notes in the higher rpms sounded incredible.Thanks for the advice!
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

Blacking out any chrome is very easy. You can do it yourself with carbon fiber overlays, vinyl, or even plasti-dip. If you aren't a diy'er, a shop can do it and it won't really cost much. I wouldn't revolve the car configuration around a few chrome bits.

The LC is far from floaty, even in the comfort mode. There's various suspension modes so you can do some testing to see what works best for you long term, but I wouldn't let the suspension be a question on whether to buy or not. I don't have great roads nearby, so if anything the car is too stiff for these parts!

Steering: I have the rear steering and it took some adjusting but I absolutely love it. The car will feel way more nimble than your golf, so if you want something more "stiff" or proportional to the car's actual size it may not be an option for you.

Leather will hold up if you take care of it regardless of color. There's interior ceramic coatings if you're worried about discoloration - very popular in the Tesla community with white/cream interiors.
The lower left side bolster will take all the abuse as you get in and out of the car, so that's the most vulnerable area of the interior to show wear. If you take the extra effort to not use it as a pivot point it definitely won't wear as much.

IS500 is nothing close, I wouldn't waste your time doing that. The absolute best way to test a LC is a Lexus track event, but chances aren't good you'll have one close by
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 389 Likes on 253 Posts

Don’t bother with test driving the IS500. Because of the 8 speed tranny, the V8 does not real the same. The 10 speed on the LC makes the same V8 so much more responsive. I had a GSF that has the same V8 but 8 speed but it feels like a different engine. I do miss that GSF for other reasons though. If you think the ‘24 LC infotainment screen is tacked on, wait til you see the IS500 screen implementation. Lol

If you’re doing the Bespoke, definitely get the dark chrome trims. Wrapping in black vinyl is just not the same. I wish they would black chrome more stuff so I didn’t have to vinyl wrap the rest.

If you didn’t drive a performance package with the vgrs and rws back to back with a bespoke, likely can’t tell the difference. Just make sure it has LSD.

I’m really not a fan of the active spoiler. But this is just my opinion. Never really like the look under the spoiler when it popped up and the mechanic is more prone to fail. I’m looking to add the OEM CF spoiler in the near future on mine. I do like the solid piece trunk without any interruption in the lines though.

Seat is a matter of what you like and what you can handle. Remember, you’ll spend 100% of your time inside the car. Make sure it’s something you can live with.

What color combo you’re thinking of?

Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Geebs
Unfortunately, where I live there are no new existing new LCs to get a deal on so the options are to order bespoke or order the traditional way.
Unfortunately, if your area doesn't get a lot of LCs it's unlikely that your dealership will get a LC allocation anytime soon. If you look at the allocations that have been sold far, you'll see a notable trend where the same dealers get most of the allocations and other dealers barely get any --- it's very much a case of Lexus rewarding dealers who have a proven track record of selling the LC. IMO it's a horrible strategy and ends up with lots of customers like myself who have deposits for a LC but never get fulfilled.

So my best advice would be to put your deposit with a dealer who already gets a lot of LCs.