LC Model (2018-present)

Door shell panel alignment - gap issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-24 | 08:34 AM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by np20412
I was able to compare my driver door with a brand new 24 convertible at the dealership and it is noticeably flush on the new 24 vs. Mine.

Dealer acknowledged that it is misaligned and said they don't have any techs that can do anything and will open a case with Lexus corporate who will likely send a rep to see it in person. Next steps tbd after that.
I'll let you know my Dealers response, car goes in Monday for the 5K visit. I will also inquire about my drivers door alignment. Luckily at this moment, no other issues.
The following users liked this post:
np20412 (09-13-24)
Old 09-13-24 | 09:42 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by np20412
I was able to compare my driver door with a brand new 24 convertible at the dealership and it is noticeably flush on the new 24 vs. Mine.

Dealer acknowledged that it is misaligned and said they don't have any techs that can do anything and will open a case with Lexus corporate who will likely send a rep to see it in person. Next steps tbd after that.
Keep us posted. I just ran my fingers across the door gap and the drivers side door is minutely less flush than the passenger side along the bottom edge. All other areas like the black trim on top of the doors line up visually. This might be one of those situations where "if it ain't broke..." Otherwise, it ends up creating other issues.
np20412 (09-13-24)
Old 09-13-24 | 09:56 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BlueIS05
Keep us posted. I just ran my fingers across the door gap and the drivers side door is minutely less flush than the passenger side along the bottom edge. All other areas like the black trim on top of the doors line up visually. This might be one of those situations where "if it ain't broke..." Otherwise, it ends up creating other issues.
Will do. I'd say it is a few mm less flush, once they tell me what it'll take to fix I'll decide how worthwhile it is lol
Old 09-16-24 | 10:09 AM
Pit Crew

So just left the Dealership. They took pictures and measurements to show the Lexus Rep. They felt any repair/adjustment was beyond the scope of what they could accomplish, mainly for fear of making it worse or creating damage. They will contact me when the Rep provides a response.

The biggest drawback is once you see it you can’t unsee it. But it’s also not something I would ever get rid of the car for.
np20412 (09-16-24)
Old 09-16-24 | 10:12 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2959
So just left the Dealership. They took pictures and measurements to show the Lexus Rep. They felt any repair/adjustment was beyond the scope of what they could accomplish, mainly for fear of making it worse or creating damage. They will contact me when the Rep provides a response.

The biggest drawback is once you see it you can’t unsee it. But it’s also not something I would ever get rid of the car for.
Agreed and exactly how I feel also. If they say something crazy in terms of repair I will tell them to just forget it lol.
2959 (09-16-24)
Old 09-19-24 | 06:51 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

So I spoke to the autonation collision center director with my car in person. He agreed it was misaligned and said he can take it to the collision center and see if they can adjust the alignment of the rocker panel below, maybe pull it out a bit to make it sit flush. He said it seemed odd since the door closes well and sits flush in other areas, which is why he suspects either misalignment of the rocker panel or bowing of the door. He also suggested we could try to roll the door at that area to line it up but said that he prefers to try the rocker panel adjustment first so as to not damage the actual door.

I haven't decided if I want to chase this or not. Told him I'd call him in a week or two to decide. Might tell them to take a very, very conservative approach if I do move forward. Last thing I need is for it to be made worse in anyway or require replacement or panels.
Old 09-19-24 | 08:27 AM
Pit Crew

Running some quick measurements, I don't think it's the door (agreeing with your viewpoints), if so the door was not correct from the press. Possibly the lower skirt and a mold/fabrication issue? Maybe the skirt in that areas attach point is pulled in too far? Comparing the two skirts I also didn't see much of a difference though except at the door bottom aft.

I did notice this other alignment issue inside. This is the fitment of the door to the dash area. The drivers side has a much wider gap compared to the Pax, the Pax side is tight. Maybe need to lower my expectations.

Drivers side gap to dash.

Pax side gap to dash.
np20412 (09-19-24)
Old 10-05-24 | 06:22 AM
Pit Crew

Where are we on the Door alignment? Still waiting. Contacted the Dealership again and was told Service was still working with the Lexus Rep and they are "on the case" (not sure why it took 3 emails and contacting the manager to get that). Having been a Field Rep for another company, no response was unacceptable. We would provide updates even if it was simply "we are still working/consulting with Engineering on the issue".
Old 10-05-24 | 07:38 AM
RCFun
Pit Crew

I’m going to throwmy 2 cent data point out there. I think there are some quirks with this car that make it non symmetrical especially for the convertible. There are numerous reports of discrepancies between the left and right on 3 key areas : door alignment exterior, door alignment gap to dash interior, and convertible top alignment interior where passenger side gap is greater than driver.

All of these alignment issues don’t seem to affect functionally. And the alignment gaps are the same across all reports I’ve read. ie drivers door is always more gapped than the passenger. Never the other way.

So maybe it’s a manufacturing quirk? My drivers door is slightly more gapped as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by RCFun:
2959 (10-05-24), np20412 (10-05-24)
Old 10-05-24 | 10:50 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

I've decided on my end to not pursue it. I don't want them messing something up or mucking with the PPF or vinyl I have on, so I will just forget about it in due course. As RCFun mentioned, it doesn't affect functionality and no leaks etc. so I've decided to live and let live.
The following 2 users liked this post by np20412:
2959 (10-05-24), KiwiGreg (10-05-24)
Old 10-05-24 | 12:28 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

just might want to remember the videos of the motomachi plant where our babies are born
show assembly lines, work stations, and lots of hand fitting...look at the hand stitching of the console leather.
though they are not hand made, these vehicles each carry unique, individualized characteristics that make them special.
while a defect is certainly a defect, they are not identical copies of each other and individual variations would be expected.

Old 10-05-24 | 01:58 PM
Pit Crew

Smile

Originally Posted by 74Sprtstr
just might want to remember the videos of the motomachi plant where our babies are born
show assembly lines, work stations, and lots of hand fitting...look at the hand stitching of the console leather.
though they are not hand made, these vehicles each carry unique, individualized characteristics that make them special.
while a defect is certainly a defect, they are not identical copies of each other and individual variations would be expected.
None of the other 3 Lexus I currently own (nor the other four previous to include an IS250C) have I noticed these types of “fitment” issues. And possibly it is because of a more handmade approach to assembly. I guess I would prefer less character traits for a more expensive vehicle. But it is something no one else has ever noticed when looking at the vehicle. I still love the vehicle even with its slight deformities.
np20412 (10-05-24)
Old 10-05-24 | 02:04 PM
NickL
Racer

As much as I love my LC, I wouldn’t accept these alignment and fitment issues as “quirks” from hand building. That’s probably one of the most fanboy comment you can make.
I don’t care if the entire car is hand built, these guys are supposed to be “Takumi”, best of the best, so I do not expect any alignment issues. However, I do accept nothing is ever perfect.

If I want these misalignments and fitments “quirks”, I would buy a Tesla.

BoreRoverGuy (10-05-24)