LC Model (2018-present)

pre-purchase experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 04:03 AM
xboxfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pre-purchase experience

Went to two dealers to take a look at the LC -- hoping to see different interior colors.

First dealer -- LC was locked. Asked the salesman to see inside of it. He unlocked it, and chatted with us for about 15 minutes. Asked if test drives are possible. He said no, but maybe in future they'll get a demo car. Overall a pleasant 'see the car' experience.

Second dealer -- LC right by entrance was locked. Asked the receptionist if it could be unlocked. "No.... maybe the one over there is unlocked". Went to side of showroom where another LC was -- also locked. Asked a salesman if either could be unlocked "No, that one is sold" (what about the other one?). So I left. Disappointing experience, especially the lack of interest by the receptionist or salesman in communicating.

I'm a semi-serious shopper in that I can afford it; spouse and I both drive lexus; my next car will likely be in the LC's price, but would prefer a convertible (hopefully LC is made as one) and will likely just wait a couple years until my current lease is up.

I understand they are selling right now to Lexus enthusiasts based on Lexus reputation and looks.

I have no idea how Lexus plans on attracting customers from people shopping for 80-120k cars at European dealers if they these dealers don't offer test drives; or even let you see the interior of it.
Given the past 2 months is when the car will have the most hype and news, it's too bad dealers aren't allocated with demo cars to start, and let the rest be made to order while demand outstrips supply.

Last edited by xboxfan; 06-03-17 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 05:25 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Dealers are getting demo/spec cars, but if someone comes in wanting to buy the demo they'll sell it to them. Cars aren't sitting long enough to test drive. If you really need a test drive to convince yourself, then yes you'll have to wait. Like you said yourself, you're not willing to buy now, so they're not going to roll out the red carpet. With that said, sounds like dealer-specific issue. Each dealer/country will handle test drives and sales differently. I was just in Japan, and each dealer had a car out and ready for customer drives.
Old 06-03-17, 07:53 AM
LC500
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xboxfan
Went to two dealers to take a look at the LC -- hoping to see different interior colors.

First dealer -- LC was locked. Asked the salesman to see inside of it. He unlocked it, and chatted with us for about 15 minutes. Asked if test drives are possible. He said no, but maybe in future they'll get a demo car. Overall a pleasant 'see the car' experience.

Second dealer -- LC right by entrance was locked. Asked the receptionist if it could be unlocked. "No.... maybe the one over there is unlocked". Went to side of showroom where another LC was -- also locked. Asked a salesman if either could be unlocked "No, that one is sold" (what about the other one?). So I left. Disappointing experience, especially the lack of interest by the receptionist or salesman in communicating.

I'm a semi-serious shopper in that I can afford it; spouse and I both drive lexus; my next car will likely be in the LC's price, but would prefer a convertible (hopefully LC is made as one) and will likely just wait a couple years until my current lease is up.

I understand they are selling right now to Lexus enthusiasts based on Lexus reputation and looks.

I have no idea how Lexus plans on attracting customers from people shopping for 80-120k cars at European dealers if they these dealers don't offer test drives; or even let you see the interior of it.
Given the past 2 months is when the car will have the most hype and news, it's too bad dealers aren't allocated with demo cars to start, and let the rest be made to order while demand outstrips supply.
You just said you prefer a convertible anyway so why are you whining about not being able to drive a car you're not going to buy anyway?
Old 06-03-17, 11:00 AM
lexuslcl
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed and adding to the fact that they are charging more than MSRP causing cars to sit on the showroom floor for weeks vs selling to customers who can be driving the car as free advertisement.

Old 06-04-17, 04:51 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Yea, not many people want to buy a "brand new" $100k car with 200+ test driven miles and rock chips on the bumper.....or risk you curbing the wheel(s) at some point during the test drive, lol.... especially if you aren't interested. Most people don't need a test drive to buy a car in this price range.
just curious, but you said you guys have 2 Lexus vehicles....which ones? Leasing both? If leasing, assuming from one of the 2 dealers you went to to check out the LC?

V.
Old 06-04-17, 07:22 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I sold my LS 460, but still have my 2014 GX 460 Luxury as well as my LC 500 Performance Package.
Old 06-04-17, 12:19 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Yea, not many people want to buy a "brand new" $100k car with 200+ test driven miles and rock chips on the bumper.....or risk you curbing the wheel(s) at some point during the test drive, lol.... especially if you aren't interested. Most people don't need a test drive to buy a car in this price range.
just curious, but you said you guys have 2 Lexus vehicles....which ones? Leasing both? If leasing, assuming from one of the 2 dealers you went to to check out the LC?

V.
Not very smart in my experience to buy a vehicle without a test drive at any price. I was able to test drive my LX before purchase which helped a lot! If I had been more thorough in my RC F test drive, I might have avoided a car that didn't meet my needs and expectations. It looked good, sounded good, and I always wanted an "F" car. An IS 350 F sport would have been a better fit for me.
Old 06-04-17, 12:29 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
Not very smart in my experience to buy a vehicle without a test drive at any price. I was able to test drive my LX before purchase which helped a lot! If I had been more thorough in my RC F test drive, I might have avoided a car that didn't meet my needs and expectations. It looked good, sounded good, and I always wanted an "F" car. An IS 350 F sport would have been a better fit for me.
I bought without test drive, or even seeing in person. I'm not too concerned. Had enough vehicles to know what I do and don't like. My purchases are more objective than subjective. ie. ticks all the boxes.

Last edited by TimboIS; 06-04-17 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 03:59 PM
xboxfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet

V.
I'm not expecting every LC in the lot to have been driven before sales. I said I was surprised there isn't yet a demo in most dealers. Especially given both dealers had one on the floor -- which means those two dealers have no wait list.

Also what is the point of having the car on the floor if you won't even let customers see the inside of it. This isn't a 300k exotic. I can walk into a porsche dealer and sit in 911 or a mercedes dealer and sit in an SL without any issue.

some people will buy it inside unseen and without it being driven, but I'm guessing that is a very small % and that group has already placed their orders.
Old 06-04-17, 04:09 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I also ordered mine sight unseen and didn't test drive mine before I paid for it. I did the same when I ordered a 996 twin turbo Porsche years ago.
Old 06-04-17, 06:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't see what the big deal is for the OP. No demos.

If it were for me, and I was going to purchase a 100K car, it better not have any miles on it from a test drive from other people. The new LC is a very special vehicle.

I will say, all dealers should have a demo.
Old 06-04-17, 08:41 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went for a test drive (RC-F) a couple of days ago. The LC wasn't even on the radar until I saw them on the lot. I asked to test drive the LC and was able to get out in the hybrid. They had on v8 but it was spoken for and I wouldn't have taken that one for a test drive even if they offered. (Unwritten rule for me that you just don't do that.)
Old 06-05-17, 03:59 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm not expecting every LC in the lot to have been driven before sales. I said I was surprised there isn't yet a demo in most dealers. Especially given both dealers had one on the floor -- which means those two dealers have no wait list.

Also what is the point of having the car on the floor if you won't even let customers see the inside of it. This isn't a 300k exotic. I can walk into a porsche dealer and sit in 911 or a mercedes dealer and sit in an SL without any issue.

some people will buy it inside unseen and without it being driven, but I'm guessing that is a very small % and that group has already placed their orders.
I understand yah, bit this is Lexus' most expensive production car ever (not including the LFA) so they are treating it as such.
My dealership has sold 4 out of the 5 they've gotten in and the one they haven't sold is on the showroom floor with the doors unlocked, etc. So maybe your dealer is being a lil harsh by having the doors lock....bit hey, their call. If they feel like you're a serious buyer, trust me, they'll open it up for you, lol.
Never answered what 2 vehicles you have now and if you're buying or leasing? Plan to buy or lease the LC (if you were to get it)?

V.
Old 06-08-17, 12:25 PM
734jeant
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My nearest dealer (180 miles away) let me take the only LC they had on the lot for a LONG test drive - highway, city and some cool twisty-turny roads. He said the only other test drive he took was with a couple that drove it 2 miles and ordered the red one the dealership had coming in. I'm not sure if the one I drove was a "Demo" but he was willing to sell it. I ended up finding one that was optioned the way I wanted it 300 miles away. Didn't drive that one. Picking it up next Tuesday.