LC Model (2018-present)

Welcome to Club Lexus! LC owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-24, 07:16 AM
Mike162
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Dukeaudio for all the information on protecting your new Inspiration Series LC. Ugh, I thought all the monetary decisions were completed, but I see now that I might have to make another one regarding PPF. I turned down the dealer coating $1,500 when I took delivery, and I applied this coating myself last weekend, it was really fairly easy. I might have screwed up, though, since I have already ceramic coated the car. That just might have nixed the PPF for me, if at least for now. I am worried about these forged black alloy wheels, from what I read, you can also ceramic coat them. I want to put some type of protection on the wheels before they get too dirty, so that it will make for an easier weekly washing. I surely appreciate all of your helpful information, and anything you can share with me about maintenance of the interior and exterior I will greatly appreciate! I have three new surfaces that I am not familiar with, the soft top (I did go ahead and "waterproof" the surface of the top), this new Satin Finish, as well as the matte finish forged alloy black wheels. All of these items are new for me as far as the maintenance goes. I am grateful for your advice about how you take care of your wheels!
Old 06-25-24, 08:02 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 263 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike162
Thanks Dukeaudio for all the information on protecting your new Inspiration Series LC. Ugh, I thought all the monetary decisions were completed, but I see now that I might have to make another one regarding PPF. I turned down the dealer coating $1,500 when I took delivery, and I applied this coating myself last weekend, it was really fairly easy. I might have screwed up, though, since I have already ceramic coated the car. That just might have nixed the PPF for me, if at least for now. I am worried about these forged black alloy wheels, from what I read, you can also ceramic coat them. I want to put some type of protection on the wheels before they get too dirty, so that it will make for an easier weekly washing. I surely appreciate all of your helpful information, and anything you can share with me about maintenance of the interior and exterior I will greatly appreciate! I have three new surfaces that I am not familiar with, the soft top (I did go ahead and "waterproof" the surface of the top), this new Satin Finish, as well as the matte finish forged alloy black wheels. All of these items are new for me as far as the maintenance goes. I am grateful for your advice about how you take care of your wheels!
If you decide to PPF all you've done is waste the time you spent doing the coating and the cost of your coating materials, but even then probably not. The shop you take it to will either lay the film right on top of the coating (depending on the coating you used, some coatings you cannot PPF over while most you can) or they'll do a quick polish to remove the coating then PPF. Won't impact cost significantly.

For wheels do Gtechnique C5 Wheel Armor - self application ceramic coating good for a couple years before reapplying. Works awesome. https://gtechniq.com/shop/auto/wheel...-wheel-armour/

I also hated the fact that it's going to cost another 7-8k on top of delivery but then I think that is like 5% additional cost of the vehicle to ensure the paint will be flawless up to a decade from now. I can stomach it.
Old 06-25-24, 01:26 PM
Mike162
5th Gear

Hey thanks for the reassurance on the ceramic coating and the ppf going over the top of it. This is my biggest investment ever for a vehicle, and I want to do it right the first time. Yes, you are right more expense above and beyond the sticker price of the vehicle (I had already added on the 4 year 48k miles extended warranty PLUS the wheel and tire additional warranty PLUS the dings and nicks and Ding Shield warranty. But if it will protect my car's finish for up to 10 years, then it would be worth the peace of mind knowing that I am doing the most I can to protect the finish. Thank you for ceramic coating link address, I will order their product and give it a shot. Seems easy enough, and I should not have to worry too much about applying it to a dirty wheel, since they are only 3 weeks on the road with less than 1,000 miles. I will still give them a good washing and drying before applying the coating, though.
Good luck with your new LC 500 when it arrives. I am finding out that this vehicle is everything everyone said it would be, and MORE. I know you are excited about its arrival!
Old 06-25-24, 01:47 PM
zissis
Driver

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey thanks for the reassurance on the ceramic coating and the ppf going over the top of it. This is my biggest investment ever for a vehicle, and I want to do it right the first time. Yes, you are right more expense above and beyond the sticker price of the vehicle (I had already added on the 4 year 48k miles extended warranty PLUS the wheel and tire additional warranty PLUS the dings and nicks and Ding Shield warranty. But if it will protect my car's finish for up to 10 years, then it would be worth the peace of mind knowing that I am doing the most I can to protect the finish. Thank you for ceramic coating link address, I will order their product and give it a shot. Seems easy enough, and I should not have to worry too much about applying it to a dirty wheel, since they are only 3 weeks on the road with less than 1,000 miles. I will still give them a good washing and drying before applying the coating, though.
Good luck with your new LC 500 when it arrives. I am finding out that this vehicle is everything everyone said it would be, and MORE. I know you are excited about its arrival!
Please do not apply ceramic coating on dirty wheels. You will just end up locking in the dirt forever. Always apply ceramic to a clean and decontaminated surface. This means no oils, wax, dirt, etc. Surface prep is the most important step to ceramic coating.
The following users liked this post:
np20412 (06-25-24)
Old 06-25-24, 01:52 PM
Mike162
5th Gear

Thank you zissis, I will make sure to not only wash the wheels carefully, but chemically decontaminate them as well, before applying the coating. I don't want to take any chances in permanently encasing any dirt behind the ceramic coating. Not good. I am grateful for your advice.
Old 06-25-24, 02:50 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you zissis, I will make sure to not only wash the wheels carefully, but chemically decontaminate them as well, before applying the coating. I don't want to take any chances in permanently encasing any dirt behind the ceramic coating. Not good. I am grateful for your advice.
I would spray the wheels down with an iron remover, then wash with soap and water, then dry completely, then prep surface with alcohol wipe down, then coat. It's not that you'll encase dirt behind the coating, but rather that your coating will fail in that spot (either immediately due to not adhering or very quickly thereafter due to poor adherence). Once that happens, the rest of your coating won't be far behind.

It will be easier if you remove the wheels to do it, as you can then clean and coat the inside of the barrel also and clean and nail the caliper at the same time, but it can be done while still mounted if you don't have the means or time to remove the wheels.

Last edited by np20412; 06-25-24 at 02:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zissis (06-26-24)
Old 06-25-24, 03:38 PM
Mike162
5th Gear

Thanks, this is more in depth than I was planning on, but it is better to take all the necessary steps to make sure the wheel is clean before you seal it up with a coating. Thank you for this. I will have to send you a pic of the finished wheel when I get it all done! I was thinking of using a spray bottle to spray the alcohol directly on the wheel, then immediately wipe it off to remove any oils. I am grateful for your help.
Old 06-25-24, 03:41 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, this is more in depth than I was planning on, but it is better to take all the necessary steps to make sure the wheel is clean before you seal it up with a coating. Thank you for this. I will have to send you a pic of the finished wheel when I get it all done! I was thinking of using a spray bottle to spray the alcohol directly on the wheel, then immediately wipe it off to remove any oils. I am grateful for your help.
Yup that works, just make sure it's a clean wheel so you don't scratch! Best of luck, it's not too difficult really. As mentioned you can certainly do it with the wheel on the car, it's just harder to get the inside wheel barrel coated if you felt so inclined.
Old 06-25-24, 04:09 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I remember feeling the same re ppf costs but I also know how I've regretted similar decisions in the past, so i didn't hesitate. Due diligence does make it easier to stomach so choose installer wisely. I'm not entirely sold on ceramic coating vs routine rinsing/wiping down these matte wheels. Maybe if high gloss or polished lip wheels, but i don't feel it's necessary for these wheels. Seemed like after only 6 mos, coating diminished unevenly and it shows. Installer allowed proper curing, and it is not my daily, but still not as impressed as coating on car. I rinse and wipe down weekly/bi-weekly and call it a day (will not re-coat). Also, tread lightly with paint as any buffing/polishing could ruin the satin finish (another reason i ppf'd whole car).
Old 07-01-24, 06:56 PM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Picked up this beauty today. Going in for full PPF tomorrow. I'll definitely have some separation anxiety!
The following 5 users liked this post by BlueIS05:
355F1 (07-01-24), FR680 (Yesterday), TGIF (Yesterday), xwndycty (07-01-24), zissis (07-01-24)
Old 07-01-24, 07:13 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 200 Posts

Beautiful. Love the red.
Old 07-01-24, 07:13 PM
xwndycty
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueIS05

Picked up this beauty today. Going in for full PPF tomorrow. I'll definitely have some separation anxiety!
Gorgeous example - congratulations! Drive it in good health...
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
schafari
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2024 LC 500 - newbie questions

Hello. I just took delivery of my new 2024 Lexus LC 500 with touring, limited slip, performance damper, and HUD yesterday. First move back to daily driver that isn't an SUV since all kids are now either off to college or are just about to drive themselves. I know about the "specialness" of the LC and the vehicle truly is exquisite. However, I do have some new owner questions that I hope those in the know will impart some of their wisdom. Please see below:

1. Personal space: Coming from Land Cruiser, Sequoia, etc. and having a bit of concern about the drastic change in available space. I don't mean luggage space or anything like that, but just for the daily driving things like phone, iPod, wallet/purse, coffee mug, water bottle, etc.
1.5 Phone: Where are people putting their phone so that it charges and you can get to it, but it is not in the way flying around, etc.?
2. Radar detector: Other than a built in radar detector, any advice on how to hard wire a dash mount or visor mound detector in to the LC specifically? Usually it is easy to find a live open fuse socket but I have no idea on the LC. Where do people find they can tap into 12v power supply active only when the car is running?
3. 12v outlet: Has anyone move the 12v outlet from the center console to under the dash etc.
4. USB connections: What is the solution to being able to use the USB connections in the center console but still be able to shut the console and use it easily? Anybody relocate the connectors out of the console?
5. Sunglass: Any brilliant ideas discovered on where to put sunglasses so they are out of the way but easily accessible?
6. State of mind: When does the feeling of "oh my lord, what did I do. . ." fade?

Thanks for your time and LC knowledge.

My 1st LC and my 1st LC picture
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by schafari
Hello. I just took delivery of my new 2024 Lexus LC 500 with touring, limited slip, performance damper, and HUD yesterday. First move back to daily driver that isn't an SUV since all kids are now either off to college or are just about to drive themselves. I know about the "specialness" of the LC and the vehicle truly is exquisite. However, I do have some new owner questions that I hope those in the know will impart some of their wisdom. Please see below:

1. Personal space: Coming from Land Cruiser, Sequoia, etc. and having a bit of concern about the drastic change in available space. I don't mean luggage space or anything like that, but just for the daily driving things like phone, iPod, wallet/purse, coffee mug, water bottle, etc.
1.5 Phone: Where are people putting their phone so that it charges and you can get to it, but it is not in the way flying around, etc.?
2. Radar detector: Other than a built in radar detector, any advice on how to hard wire a dash mount or visor mound detector in to the LC specifically? Usually it is easy to find a live open fuse socket but I have no idea on the LC. Where do people find they can tap into 12v power supply active only when the car is running?
3. 12v outlet: Has anyone move the 12v outlet from the center console to under the dash etc.
4. USB connections: What is the solution to being able to use the USB connections in the center console but still be able to shut the console and use it easily? Anybody relocate the connectors out of the console?
5. Sunglass: Any brilliant ideas discovered on where to put sunglasses so they are out of the way but easily accessible?
6. State of mind: When does the feeling of "oh my lord, what did I do. . ." fade?

Thanks for your time and LC knowledge.

My 1st LC and my 1st LC picture
Congrats!! Looks awesome. I am waiting to pick up mine and can't wait so I have done some research and made some purchases:

1.5.Phone: Where are people putting their phone so that it charges and you can get to it, but it is not in the way flying around, etc.?
https://www.proclipusa.com/collectio...lc-series-2021 + https://www.proclipusa.com/products/...magnetic-mount because I want a one-handed operating magnetic mount, but you can also buy their cradle mount to attach to the base.

Several members have tapped the rear-view mirror using MirrorTaps. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...-dash-cam.html

Proclip also offers this for $5 to clip sunglasses to the visor https://www.proclipusa.com/products/...-for-car-visor which I also bought
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
xwndycty
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations and welcome! I've had my '23 vert (same cloudburst gray but w/toasted caramel interior + /blk top) for the last 18 months (currently 6K miles). I smile every time I fire up the engine and put the top down. Enjoy your new toy!