LC Model (2018-present)

C&D Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 07:43 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyJames
I doubt anyone is legitimately cross-shopping the LC and the 911..
That would be me :-) But I'm not your typical buyer maybe - hell I bought an HS250! Throw in a used Ferrari 355/360 in the mix too, and maybe a Maserati GT or Aston V8 Vantage. Not looking for a track car as much as an exotic toy to drive once/twice a week to work, around town, on date night. So looks are a big part of it, and just enough performance to back up the looks and put a smile on my face on back roads or on short bursts passing / merging / etc. In other words, a luxury GT, something more exotic than a BMW or Mercedes coupe. 911 is probably on the extreme end of the driving dynamics-versus-exotic luxury spectrum for me, but it's on there. And until the LC came along, it was the most reliable of the ones I was considering. And the only one with a dealer near me. And gets relatively good gas mileage; as an engineer I actually value efficiency.

Yeah I'm one of those rare guys that might get the hybrid LC instead of the V8...
Old 07-10-17, 11:47 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan55
That would be me :-) But I'm not your typical buyer maybe - hell I bought an HS250! Throw in a used Ferrari 355/360 in the mix too, and maybe a Maserati GT or Aston V8 Vantage. Not looking for a track car as much as an exotic toy to drive once/twice a week to work, around town, on date night. So looks are a big part of it, and just enough performance to back up the looks and put a smile on my face on back roads or on short bursts passing / merging / etc. In other words, a luxury GT, something more exotic than a BMW or Mercedes coupe. 911 is probably on the extreme end of the driving dynamics-versus-exotic luxury spectrum for me, but it's on there. And until the LC came along, it was the most reliable of the ones I was considering. And the only one with a dealer near me. And gets relatively good gas mileage; as an engineer I actually value efficiency.
I suppose this just goes to show how attractive/appealing the styling of the LC is.

Although given how well it seems to be selling, I'm not sure it'll be that rare!
Old 07-11-17, 10:58 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah I'm one of those rare guys that might get the hybrid LC instead of the V8...
I stand corrected! And I should've been more precise - I doubt anyone is shopping between those two, based upon performance figures. Too funny about the hybrid - the guy that I referenced in my earlier post that traded in his 911 Turbo actually chose the hybrid...
Old 07-13-17, 08:50 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm pretty sure people cross shop the two cars. (911 and LC500)
From all the reviews and write ups. One thing that is clear is that the LC500 is not a sports car. It's a GT.
I also find it embarrassing that the LC500 performance numbers isn't great. Lexus period need to stop it. Stop saying as a company you’re going to compete with this and that if you’re going to constantly bring slower car to the market.

I'll probably purchase the car b/c I love the exterior and interior. But I probably won't be racing anyone.
Old 07-15-17, 09:07 PM
wadeb
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the LC. Other men's wives stop, stare and ask questions, while my date is right there. I do lament the low-ish horsepower, but there is more than enough for fun on good roads. And burnouts.
The following users liked this post:
Magellan55 (07-16-17)
Old 07-17-17, 08:53 AM
tknx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm cross shopping a 911 vs an LC. But I am specifically only interested in convertibles, and there are few options in 2+2s at that range.

Actually I am more cross shopping whether to buy a used 997.2 Turbo Cab vs an LC convertible whenever they are released. They each have different things to appeal. But I just want them to shorten the gearing on the LC first.
Old 07-17-17, 10:42 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
I'm cross shopping a 911 vs an LC. But I am specifically only interested in convertibles, and there are few options in 2+2s at that range.

Actually I am more cross shopping whether to buy a used 997.2 Turbo Cab vs an LC convertible whenever they are released. They each have different things to appeal. But I just want them to shorten the gearing on the LC first.
So in other words you're not really shopping, but fantasizing.
Old 07-17-17, 11:19 AM
tknx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Yeah, no. Only waiting to see if they actually do a convertible.

But thanks for the unneeded implication...
Old 07-18-17, 06:01 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Lol, Mr. Happy. Seems like a guy with that garage would be happier.

Tknx: Had two . 2 turbos (cab and a coupe) purchased new and used as daily drivers. Wonderful and bullet proof cars. I put about 15k plus miles a year on both. Grab one with a CPO and drive the wheels off of it. They are a blast, but super easy to drive around town.

No doubt a LC convertible would be pretty pimp, but if you have never had a modern twin turbo Porsche, gotta try it at least once. By far best all around driving experience for a daily driver car if you can live with small back seat. I will be back in one next year as youngest daughter is about to graduate to booster seat.
Old 07-18-17, 06:50 AM
Carbon Exchange
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

you boutght a first year version of a new model, the cars you were experiencing have be made for like what 30? what were your problems? because if one was brake pads thats not a problem.

Originally Posted by DougHII
JD Power is a better gauge, especially for what we are looking at. Navigating older Porsches can be a minefield if you don't know what you are doing. The DFI 911s from 997.2 and up are very reliable vehicles.

I used 911 turbos (89, 91, 94, 97, 98, 01, 03, 04, 08, 12) as daily drivers, all purchased new from 1989 through March 2015 when I purchased an RCF for a bigger back seat due to a 3 year-old. Granted the Mezger turbos are more reliable than their NA counter parts, my Porsches were rock solid, most never even had a warranty issue and I put up to 80k miles on them.

My 2015 RCF had MORE warranty issues than any of my 2 Porsche turbos combined and my current 2017 M3 ZCP, approaching 11k miles, has proved more reliable than my RCF during its first 10,000 miles (RCF 3 issues, M3 0).

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-vds
Old 07-18-17, 07:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Let's keep the personal commentary out of this thread folks.

Also to keep this thread on topic, if you're interested in Doug's history of issues with his RC-F please search his past threads and let's keep this thread focused on LC
Old 07-18-17, 08:20 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Exchange
you boutght a first year version of a new model, the cars you were experiencing have be made for like what 30? what were your problems? because if one was brake pads thats not a problem.
I am not that picky . . . Lexus makes a great car and my problems with the RCF were minor stuff: spoiler, hesitation and ultimately had a fuel pump buzz a couple of times all of which were fixed with reflashes. Navigation screen kept resetting, but the driver seat coming a part annoyed me and Lexus did not want to address this under warranty. No real issues except maybe the driver seat with the big protruding bolster.
Old 07-21-17, 05:43 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I prefer Motor Trend's review, they seem to be among the few that get the LC's reason for being. It's a Luxury Coupe, more of a grand tourer than an outright sports car like the 911 or even the i8. To quote Rolls, I think the performance figures are... adequate

It's funny that more hard-edged cars like the Ferrari F12 are still called grand tourers even though dynamically they're closer to sports cars.
Old 08-15-17, 02:00 PM
jvit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overweight LC 500

If you start with a 4400lb car, high performance will be very hard to come by. The LC 500 is a a gorgeous car, but it's a "porker". A 600lb diet would make it all right.
Old 08-15-17, 03:05 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a gorgeous looking car with the best ride by a mile but there is just no response down low , nothing happens under 3500 rpm and it's just so frustrating . Go drive a C63 s mercedes and you'll see what instant response is all about .
The track pad is ok but the screen is way too small for today's market

Quick Reply: C&D Numbers