LC Model (2018-present)

Lc trd

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 11:10 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

This TRD Kit is nice, yes, seriously overpriced for what you're getting. Holly price gouge Batman.

The wheels are DEFINITELY nicer than stock, and I like it, but still not really like ideal for this car.
Old 11-05-17, 09:42 PM
Metzler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheels look like Nurburgring LFA wheels...
Old 11-06-17, 06:50 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 98 Posts

Before I bought my LC, I came very close to buying a Camaro ZL1. My first car was a Camaro and I fell in love with the 6th-gen styling. But after seeing and appreciating all the quality details of the LC, I made my choice and I have no regrets. Anyway, a long prelude to get to my point... The ZL1 rims look a lot like these TRD wheels (Google it). A style trend that seems to be quite popular at the moment. I personally prefer the unique styling of the stock 21" chrome & black LC wheels, not to mention they mimic the concept LF-LC rims, which is a cool thing in and of itself.

I did purchase the TRD rear lip spoiler, pre-painted to match my white car. Expecting delivery this week. I decided on this one because it's the smallest of the choices I could find. It's notched in the middle, so it shouldn't affect rear visibility, which I like. I do have the pop-up wing on my LC, but I don't like leaving it deployed all the time. I'm hoping this subtle lip spoiler will make the back look a little less stark, without looking too silly. We'll see. I wouldn't consider the front spoiler (splitter) or side GFX because I think they take away from the refined look of this car. And I'm sure that front splitter would bottom-out all the time and be destroyed in no time.
Old 11-06-17, 08:11 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree about the 21" wheels. The flower petal look complements the car's general shape pretty nicely. At first I had second thoughts about the chrome being too shiny but it in real life it looks just right.
Old 11-06-17, 09:56 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Double spoilers will be weird.
Old 11-07-17, 04:27 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Double spoilers will be weird.
Yeah, I agree. From the one decent pic I could find (below), I like the look of the more-integrated TRD lip spoiler more than the popup wing. I consider the popup wing more of a functional feature, so I've been letting the automatic deployment logic control when it's up - which is basically only at highway speeds. It's been bugging me when I look at the profile or rear of the car while parked - feeling like the back-end needs something. The TRD spoiler is pretty subtle, so I'm hoping it adds what I'm looking for without being too outrageous. This is a bit of a repeat from another thread but - I'll rest the TRD piece in place while the wing is deployed, before permanently attaching it. If it looks too silly, I'll put it on eBay for someone with a white LC (without the popup wing) to consider.

Old 11-07-17, 06:15 AM
Jules640
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the rear spoiler looks good. I would consider it on mine as I do not have the popup one on mine. Do you mind me asking how much it was? In the UK it is £1,000 which is about $1,300. It seems a lot to me as although it is painted that doesn't include fitting.
Old 11-07-17, 06:38 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jules640
I think the rear spoiler looks good. I would consider it on mine as I do not have the popup one on mine. Do you mind me asking how much it was? In the UK it is £1,000 which is about $1,300. It seems a lot to me as although it is painted that doesn't include fitting.
I couldn't figure out how to buy it through TRD-Lexus directly. I suppose I could have asked one of my friends in Japan to get it for me and ship it. But I decided to just get it through a site I found that takes PayPal. I paid way more - around $1800 with EMS shipping here:
https://lexusboutique.net/products/t...h-rear-spoiler

They did throw in a free (useless) $100 Aluminum Cup Holder Plate. Woohoo...
Old 11-07-17, 07:10 AM
Jules640
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uchujin
I couldn't figure out how to buy it through TRD-Lexus directly. I suppose I could have asked one of my friends in Japan to get it for me and ship it. But I decided to just get it through a site I found that takes PayPal. I paid way more - around $1800 with EMS shipping here:
https://lexusboutique.net/products/t...h-rear-spoiler

They did throw in a free (useless) $100 Aluminum Cup Holder Plate. Woohoo...
Thanks for that. It is unusual for something to be cheaper here!!

The link to the UK distributor is:

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/lexus/lc/
Old 11-07-17, 07:26 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jules640
Thanks for that. It is unusual for something to be cheaper here!!

The link to the UK distributor is:

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/lexus/lc/
That's clearly a much better deal. I probably should have asked on this and other forums first. I'm sure there are more savvy enthusiasts out there that could have pointed me in a better direction. I did like that I bought through a Japan merchant - since they're likely most knowledgeable about questions/options and have more direct access to inventory. Their communication has been excellent and their English is very good (my Japanese is so-so). From what I could discern from their website, the body parts are not available in all LC colors. The color codes seemed to be white, and blacks only(?). They claim these are produced by Lexus and painted by Lexus.

If you look closely at the pics at the beginning of this thread, the black LC has both the wing and the lip spoiler. It does look silly to me to have both. I saw these pics back in June when they were first posted, but I still decided to give this a try since I may not mind how it looks with the wing up only while driving... and I really like how this lip spoiler looks on the LC in the pics I've seen. The notch in the middle seems to line up perfectly with the rear window - for unrestricted visibility. Plus I don't like the idea of leaves and other crap getting under the wing if I left it up all the time.
Old 11-07-17, 08:30 AM
Jules640
Driver School Candidate

I noticed that it is only available in white and black. I think the white cars look the best, especially at the this time of year when the days are darker. It is only just past 4 pm here and it is dark already! It would be great if you could post some photos of how it looks on your car, even if you just have placed it on without permanently fixing it. Do you know how it is attached? I'm assuming that gluing it is a better option than drilling the boot lid.
Old 11-07-17, 08:52 AM
uchujin
Advanced

I don't want to be biased about colors. Color preference is very subjective, so to each his own. I am surprised they chose to only produce black and white options for the body parts. It may be worth a try - to contact TRD Japan - for anyone wanting a different factory pre-painted color.

As far as installation, I won't know for sure until I see the instructions when it arrives (later today!). However, there are MANY YouTube videos showing how to install lip spoilers, and they're all the same... It's best when the vehicle surface is warm. Clean wax off vehicle with paint-treatment or alcohol, mark alignment points with removable painter's tape, remove the protective liner on the molding tape, attach and hold in place firmly for a few seconds. This video is a good one:

These are also easy to remove - using fishing line to cut through the molding tape - without harming the paint. That's the easy part. The hard part is removing the residual molding tape. Some heat helps, but use a hair dryer, NOT a heat gun! A heat gun will melt the paint. Otherwise it's a time-consuming process of pulling the tape off with your fingers and using some "sticker-remover". Don't use Acetone - too strong! Then you can re-apply some good molding tape - available in most auto parts stores. I like 3M.
Old 11-07-17, 01:06 PM
uchujin
Advanced

So the TRD spoiler arrived! Here's the good and the bad...

It arrived from Japan in perfect condition and the paint appears to be a perfect match. However, it's cloudy and gloomy here today, so I'm not able to confidently assess the paint match until I get a good sunny day. I really like the look & style of this!

On the down side, this spoiler comes equipped with a single bolt and retaining nut, along with all the pre-installed 2-sided molding tape. So I can't rest it in place unless I drill the hold for the bolt (or cut that off) - which protrudes too far to allow it to sit on the trunk. It seems overkill to me to have the bolt, so I have a query out to the customer service folks - to see what they think about me removing the bolt and just installing with the tape. The bolt appears to be part of a plastic assembly that is adhered to the underside of the spoiler. I think I could either cut through the adhesive with wire or just cut off the bolt with a hacksaw or bolt-cutter. I really don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the trunk lid - especially if I decide I want to remove it at a later time.

The other downside point is - the installation instructions and templates are all in Japanese. No English. Fortunately, my wife is Japanese, so she can help me with the translation. I also have a message out to the vendor to see if they have English instructions available. I suspect not, or they would have included those. I'm guessing I'll get their personalized email translation when they reply.
Old 11-07-17, 02:37 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
So the TRD spoiler arrived! Here's the good and the bad...

It arrived from Japan in perfect condition and the paint appears to be a perfect match. However, it's cloudy and gloomy here today, so I'm not able to confidently assess the paint match until I get a good sunny day. I really like the look & style of this!

On the down side, this spoiler comes equipped with a single bolt and retaining nut, along with all the pre-installed 2-sided molding tape. So I can't rest it in place unless I drill the hold for the bolt (or cut that off) - which protrudes too far to allow it to sit on the trunk. It seems overkill to me to have the bolt, so I have a query out to the customer service folks - to see what they think about me removing the bolt and just installing with the tape. The bolt appears to be part of a plastic assembly that is adhered to the underside of the spoiler. I think I could either cut through the adhesive with wire or just cut off the bolt with a hacksaw or bolt-cutter. I really don't like the idea of drilling a hole in the trunk lid - especially if I decide I want to remove it at a later time.

The other downside point is - the installation instructions and templates are all in Japanese. No English. Fortunately, my wife is Japanese, so she can help me with the translation. I also have a message out to the vendor to see if they have English instructions available. I suspect not, or they would have included those. I'm guessing I'll get their personalized email translation when they reply.
Google translate is your friend.
Old 11-07-17, 03:08 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Google translate is your friend.
Thanks. Google Translate is great, if I have electronic text or PDF content. All I have at the moment is hard-copy paper instructions. However, there's a pretty-cool app called "Scan & Translate" which uses OCR technology - which essentially scans documents with a smartphone camera and, from what I've heard from my colleagues at MIT - does a surprisingly good job. Works with many languages, including Japanese. I may download it and try it out, especially since I already bought this book: https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/14903691/

Last edited by uchujin; 11-07-17 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Lc trd