LC Model (2018-present)

Ride smoothness with the 21" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18, 05:47 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ride smoothness with the 21" wheels?

I was hoping to find an LC 500 in my color combo (Infrared/Toasted Caramel) with 20" wheels but there are NONE anywhere close to me (Southeastern PA.) I have driven one with the 20" wheels and Touring Package but not one with the 21" and Performance Package.

My dealer does not have one with the 21" wheels. I don't want to go to another dealer and take up their time on a test drive when most likely I would not be buying from them. I've been told ordering one would take 3-4 months.

My dealer may be able to acquire one with my color combo but it will have the Performance Package and 21" wheels. If they do, I may be pulling the trigger on it this Monday.

Virtually all of the video reviews with the 21" wheels mention how surprisingly "comfortable" the ride is in "comfort" mode but they are riding around on decent road surfaces. There is ONE, however, with a seemingly credible in-depth review saying "...on broken and choppy pavement...it's a choppy ride...with the 21" wheels and low-profile tires."

"Ride comfort" is a subjective topic, but for my 69 year old bones, the car with 20" wheels I drove was good. I'm not expecting an LC 500 to ride like an LS, but for those with the 21" wheels, how would you rate the ride on "broken and choppy pavement," which there is unfortunately PLENTY of in "The Land of Crappy Roads," PENNSYLVANIA?

I had 18" wheels on a 2004 Maxima SE and that suspension was TERRIBLE for almost everything. I got aftermarket 17" wheels in hopes of smoothing it out, but that 1" hardly made any difference at all.

Any input would be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
RichKeagy (03-25-18)
Old 03-24-18, 06:07 PM
VicAndRay
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the OEM 21" wheel package. The ride quality has been very good even with crap TX roads and construction zones.

A main issue for me has been over inflation. The car was delivered with over 45 PSI and the service dept loves to pump the sheet out of them also. Part of my routine is to deflate tires after service visits. This was a similar problem I had at Porsche with the 991. This produces terrible ride quality.

The spec is 33 PSI and I usually run at 32. This helps ride comfort significantly and doesn't seem to have much effect on MPG.

PS: The TPMS system is very accurate based on my use of a Longacre analog tire gauge.
The following 2 users liked this post by VicAndRay:
BobBass (03-24-18), RichKeagy (03-25-18)
Old 03-24-18, 06:24 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had 20’s with non-RFT tires during the winter and now I’m running 21's with RFT’s. The 21’s are firmer but not as much as I would have expected. Also, I’m running 19’s on my 340i and my perception is that the LC is still smoother on 21’s (surprisingly).
While it is a firm ride (yet not bone crushingly so), it competently deals with rough roads but you’ll still have to look out for potholes and slow down for the more hardcore speed bumps. Don’t expect a Coupe DeVille type land yacht that will absorb absolutely any surface irregularities like it’s nothing.
BobBass (03-24-18)
Old 03-24-18, 07:06 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

I probably should have also asked if anyone has bent any rims hitting potholes or whatever.
Old 03-24-18, 08:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
"Ride comfort" is a subjective topic, but for my 69 year old bones, the car with 20" wheels I drove was good. I'm not expecting an LC 500 to ride like an LS, but for those with the 21" wheels, how would you rate the ride on "broken and choppy pavement," which there is unfortunately PLENTY of in "The Land of Crappy Roads," PENNSYLVANIA?.
Yes, it certainly is. I have 10 years on you and driver an ISF with much stiffer suspension the LC500. Anyway, ride quality is not really dependent on wheel OD, but is much more dependent on the side wall dimensions of the tire. The 21" tire specifications are 245/40 and 275/35. that means the sidewall is 3.85" tall in front and 3.75" in the back. That IMHO, is a generous side wall dimension that should provide a comfortable ride and provide more than enough rim protection from road imperfections.

I would be more concerned with the RFT tires when it comes to ride quality. But, you may have trouble finding a non RFT tire in those sizes. Its seems that only Pirelli makes 'em.

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
BobBass (03-25-18), Exhilr8n (06-15-21)
Old 03-25-18, 09:58 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Lou (flowrider),

The 21" tire specifications are 245/40 and 275/35. that means the sidewall is 3.85" tall in front and 3.75" in the back.
Thanks for that detailed info.

I just sold my '09 Corvette with Z51 and it had 245/40 ZR18 in the front and 285/35 ZR19 in the rear. That translates to a tire "section height" of 3.85" front and 3.95" rear. It had the HORRIBLE Goodyear RFTs and I managed to drive it over the last seven years w/o any tire/wheel-related issues. Nailed a couple of potholes & recessed manhole covers, too.

Hopefully I'll have the same good luck with the LC.
Old 03-25-18, 10:34 AM
TCB1977
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many might think I was crazy, but had the dealer change my 21 to 20s on my new LC at no charge and then they asked a premium for the other car that came with 20 and now has the 21s. 21s are fine as most indicated but liked the look of the 10 spoke 20s and there is more sidewall!
Old 03-25-18, 11:23 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

TCB1977,

HA! We did the same thing with the OEM wheels on our '14 Nissan Murano Platinum Edition. I didn't care for the 7-spoke design on the top-of-the-line package and asked to swap them out for LE wheels on one in their inventory which are more traditional 5-spoke and look great.

It's cool that all three wheels offered o the LC 500 are pretty nice and you can't go wrong with either of the upgrades:

Old 03-25-18, 09:20 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check out this review...

http://www.savagegeese.com/reviews/lexus-lc500
Old 03-26-18, 12:50 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

randomwalk,

That's EXACTLY the one to which I was referring. He seems pretty sincere, so I'm hoping that his perception of the ride isn't spot on. Once again, it's a subjective topic.

That's an interesting review. Gotta luv the detailed underside view and discussion of the chassis. How many times have you seen something like that on a vehicle you're reserching? Really cool to see the LSD and rear-steering components. And, under the hood, how Lexus manages to route the actual sound of the V8 into the passenger compartment. I've watched it twice.

Old 03-27-18, 05:40 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
I was hoping to find an LC 500 in my color combo (Infrared/Toasted Caramel) with 20" wheels but there are NONE anywhere close to me (Southeastern PA.) I have driven one with the 20" wheels and Touring Package but not one with the 21" and Performance Package.

My dealer does not have one with the 21" wheels. I don't want to go to another dealer and take up their time on a test drive when most likely I would not be buying from them. I've been told ordering one would take 3-4 months.

My dealer may be able to acquire one with my color combo but it will have the Performance Package and 21" wheels. If they do, I may be pulling the trigger on it this Monday.

Virtually all of the video reviews with the 21" wheels mention how surprisingly "comfortable" the ride is in "comfort" mode but they are riding around on decent road surfaces. There is ONE, however, with a seemingly credible in-depth review saying "...on broken and choppy pavement...it's a choppy ride...with the 21" wheels and low-profile tires."

"Ride comfort" is a subjective topic, but for my 69 year old bones, the car with 20" wheels I drove was good. I'm not expecting an LC 500 to ride like an LS, but for those with the 21" wheels, how would you rate the ride on "broken and choppy pavement," which there is unfortunately PLENTY of in "The Land of Crappy Roads," PENNSYLVANIA?

I had 18" wheels on a 2004 Maxima SE and that suspension was TERRIBLE for almost everything. I got aftermarket 17" wheels in hopes of smoothing it out, but that 1" hardly made any difference at all.

Any input would be appreciated.
We just returned from a long trip to PA (Yes, having lived there I agree the roads are miserable during the winter) and our bones are older than yours. We have the 21" wheels and both my wife and I were quite pleased with the ride. This trip was for me to be a test for long trips in my LC, and the car passed with flying colors. Also pleasantly surprised with the gas mileage (as much as 29 mph (predominantly in eco mode, but also playing with the other modes including sport+). Our conclusion is that the LC truly is a great GT.
BobBass (03-27-18)
Old 03-27-18, 02:02 PM
web4488
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I can't complain about the ride quality with the 21" wheels. I've been in other cars with wheels that size and it was not a pleasant experience on rough roads!
Old 03-28-18, 05:10 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VicAndRay
I have the OEM 21" wheel package. The ride quality has been very good even with crap TX roads and construction zones.

A main issue for me has been over inflation. The car was delivered with over 45 PSI and the service dept loves to pump the sheet out of them also. Part of my routine is to deflate tires after service visits. This was a similar problem I had at Porsche with the 991. This produces terrible ride quality.

The spec is 33 PSI and I usually run at 32. This helps ride comfort significantly and doesn't seem to have much effect on MPG.

PS: The TPMS system is very accurate based on my use of a Longacre analog tire gauge.
My sticker demands 43.5psi (converted from bars...) and I went as low as 34.8, which made a noticeable difference. Though once I go below 36.25, a warning keeps popping up on the display telling me to adjust tire pressure.
Old 03-28-18, 06:43 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Cars shipped from Japan typically have the tires overinflated for the trip across the pond. I've seen cars come off the ship with as much as 50-60 psi. This is to reduce flat spots on the tires as the vehicles are chained to the floor under tension during transport. Dealers don't always check and correct the pressure. And even if they do, they often add an extra 5-10 psi to reduce the number of calls they get on those freezing mornings - when the low-pressure light comes on. If you live and drive in a warm climate, the recommendations on the driver's door jamb should provide the best ride and wear results. If you park outside in freezing temps, you'll need to add an extra 5 or so psi.
Old 03-28-18, 07:17 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input. It has become a moot point because today I put money down on a LOADED LC 500.

Picking it up Monday and I'll experience the ride on the way back home. The next four days are gonna be TORTURE. We're going away this weekend and I just couldn't work the delivery in before then.

First time I've entered this "level" of vehicle. Hey...you only go around once.

Quick Reply: Ride smoothness with the 21" wheels?