LC Model (2018-present)

Front or Pano Camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-20, 11:40 AM
timrudy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Marwan74
It sounds like this is what I need to install on my LC500 2017. how much is it and how do you like it after using it for a while? any recommendation or advice?
thanks in advance
I had it built in Shenzhen China, if memory serves, I think it cost me about $1500 RMB.

Ive had it installed a couple years and so far so good. Nice to have Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Spotify. I uninstalled Waze navigation recently, the GPS doesn't work that well, the way I have it installed. Someday, I'll buy a splitter/amp and the correct connectors to split the built-in GPS antenna feed into the Mark Levinson and the Android Box to resolve this issue. For now, I just use the Lexus navigation, it speaks and HUD directions work even while playing, say Spotify on the AUX Android Box. And I like the Lexus Assistant Operator feature. So I subscribe to that.

tr

Last edited by timrudy; 10-12-20 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-12-20, 11:56 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by timrudy
I had it built in Shenzhen China, if memory serves, I think it cost me about $1500 RMB.

Ive had it installed a couple years and so far so good. Nice to have Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Spotify. I uninstalled Waze navigation recently, the GPS doesn't work that well, the way I have it installed. Someday, I'll buy a splitter/amp and the correct connectors to split the built-in GPS antenna feed into the Mark Levinson and the Google Box to resolve this issue. For now, I just use the Lexus navigation, it speaks and HUD directions work even while playing, say Spotify on the AUX Android Box. And I like the Lexus Assistant Operator feature. So I subscribe to that.

tr
You know what would be amazing? If you'd be able to figure out a way to actually make Android Auto work on the head unit, the same way Lexus did for Apple Car Play. For some reason, the first 2 years of the LC has a "Gen 10" head unit, which isn't compatible with Android Auto, but is with Apple Carplay. Do you think there's a way to have AA work with this "Gen 10" head unit?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-20, 12:03 PM
timrudy
Rookie

Well, that's not really necessary since I just run Android on the Aux attached unit. I'd rather just run the apps directly instead of the nanny Car Play or Android Auto. Thats been my preference anyway. I can mirror an iPad / iPhone / Android onto the AUX attached Android Unit, but in practice, that always results in a lowering of features. Having the LC trackpad and just operating android directly is simply magical for me. It actually makes the built-in trackpad useful, almost like it was a desktop computer. Even my Nextcloud file storage works to my corporate file server. Skype Works, etc.
Old 10-12-20, 11:59 PM
Marwan74
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had it installed a couple years and so far so good. Nice to have Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Spotify. I uninstalled Waze navigation recently, the GPS doesn't work that well, the way I have it installed. Someday, I'll buy a splitter/amp and the correct connectors to split the built-in GPS antenna feed into the Mark Levinson and the Android Box to resolve this issue. For now, I just use the Lexus navigation, it speaks and HUD directions work even while playing, say Spotify on the AUX Android Box. And I like the Lexus Assistant Operator feature. So I subscribe to that.

tr
Thank you for your reply. what makes me look for alternatives is the following:
- the navigation map is outdated and I have to pay $1000 to get it updated
- the system here did not get any update to make it compatible with android auto or car play
- the features of Lexus assistant here are limited and not worth it
- single-source sale and service provider. we have only one dealer here

on the other hand, I took a look at removing trim pieces video to install the Android box for the LC 500. man, that was heartbreaking to see the car in such a situation beside the magnitude of work needed. I came to the conclusion that using mobile features is less headache at least for the meantime.

Old 10-13-20, 12:47 PM
timrudy
Rookie

Yeah I understand - taking your new LC apart is quite stressful. It confirmed what my neighbors already knew. Im crazy. Anyway in the end, it turned out not to be bad at all. the hardest part was getting behind the dash panel to jumper into the video display. If there is someone you trust in your location, you can have them do it. Anyway, by doing this with an Android system, I don't really worry about subscriptions, etc other than what premium apps I chose on the Play store that might be subject to some sort of subscription fee. But if your android phone already has those apps, they will download and install on the android box once you put in your credentials. If I lived closer to your, I would help you do it. If I get to Dubai this year, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I can help you from here in Cincinnati, USA or via email / signal if you wanna give it a go.

tr
Old 10-13-20, 11:26 PM
Marwan74
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I understand - taking your new LC apart is quite stressful. It confirmed what my neighbors already knew. Im crazy. Anyway in the end, it turned out not to be bad at all. the hardest part was getting behind the dash panel to jumper into the video display. If there is someone you trust in your location, you can have them do it. Anyway, by doing this with an Android system, I don't really worry about subscriptions, etc other than what premium apps I chose on the Play store that might be subject to some sort of subscription fee. But if your android phone already has those apps, they will download and install on the android box once you put in your credentials. If I lived closer to your, I would help you do it. If I get to Dubai this year, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I can help you from here in Cincinnati, USA or via email / signal if you wanna give it a go.

tr
Thank you for being supportive. I will let you know if I decided to go for it. the Android box I am looking at is this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32904801480.html
is it the same you installed on your car? there is a price difference
Old 10-15-20, 12:26 AM
JoeJahja
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Marwan, I understand you are in UAE, maybe difficult to get the Dealer to Install Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I am in Sydney and I got Lexus Dealer to install OEM Apple CarPlay and AA, we pay AUD$249 and took a few others and the screen looks like the following pictures below
Old 10-15-20, 12:30 AM
JoeJahja
Driver School Candidate

Old 10-17-20, 12:48 AM
Marwan74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoeJahja

that would be the best option. However, the single Lexus dealer here is living in denial. stating there is no such update
Old 10-22-20, 07:11 AM
timrudy
Rookie

That link was broken for me. Maybe because Im in the US. Didn't try VPN from Dubai, but anyway: This is the one I bought,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

I see that its quite expensive on Aliexpress. I bought mine in Shenzhen direct from the factory using Chinese RMB. Jack MA and crew must be getting a hefty fee for the currency conversion and listing. Probably some other unseen middlemen involved as well. Facories and developers tend to not like this marketing stuff, so I'm not surprised that they leave the offshore communications and sales to others.

As a side note. I got my Car Play to work with an update from Lexus using a USB stick. There is no Android Auto for yours and mine model years. However, what I got when I finished was just Car Play. Thats not nearly what I wanted. I wanted a computer in my dash fully controlled from my steering controls and built in track pad with no "stick on" devices or cables visible so that it didn't disrupt the beautiful interior of the LC500 in any way. Car Play and AA are great innovations, but just can't compare to having an actual desktop and apps that can be controlled and operated using your LC500 built in controls.

Things Car Pay and AA Cant do for me:

1.) VPN into my corp network or to another country to receive content in that country.
2.) Run apps like NextCloud to backup my work and provide file sharing on my NextCloud Server
3.) Skype with people while on the move.
4.) WeChat with people in Asia while on the move.
5.) Check my email and respond.
6.) Google Stuff in a desktop way.
7.) Watch YouTube or Amazon Prime, or Spotify shows and podcasts.
8.) Receive and respond to text messages from people on Signal
9.) Check my email and respond to it using voice or on screen keyboard.

I do all of this while my cell phone is tucked away where it should be: on the charging port in the console. If I get a phone call, then I just accept it using the steering wheel or trackpad controls via Bluetooth. So even though, my phone has Android Auto, I never use it, because that would represent a big loss in capability. However, I understand that this may not be for everyone. Many people don't have the need or desire to be available all the time. But as a business owner, I do have the desire.

It is true, I can pull my laptop out and get on my Car's Wifi or my cell hotspot. But that's not something I can't do easily on the side of the road, or at a traffic light. That would result in stopping my trip to check and see if anything was urgent and needed to be responded to.

If you don't have these needs or don't drive cross country (or cross desert) frequently then you probably don't need this. However, because Car Play is available and AA will never be on our mode years, then an app on this Android Box will probably be your only solution. But my point here is, that once you start using the android box, you can tell your friends you have AA rom your phone. but you probably will never use that in practice.

Example: I had a passenger that wanted to show me a video on his iPhone. I told him to just join my Wifi and mirror it to the screen. Done. He said: Thats not possible. I replied: Ok dude.

Last edited by timrudy; 10-22-20 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-22-20, 04:10 PM
Carfocus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello,

i also live near lorton, Va. were you able to find a good solution to install the beat sonic front camera or you went with different option. I would also welcome the chance to meet another fellow lc owner. Given there is another one in my building lol

Originally Posted by dicmd
I bought the beatsonic harness that was specifically mentioned to be compatible with the LC500, an OEM-like button to activate the camera, and front license bolt mounted camera.
I took it to my audio installer (Unique Audio in Lorton, VA) and after looking at the instructions and calling beat sonic they determined that it was going to take a complete take apart of the car dashboard, infotainment system and center console to access the wiring to install the harness wiring. They estimated >8 hours of work to complete. Beatsonic told them "that's just the way it is.".
I chose not to proceed.
If anyone has a similar or not similar experience, please let us know!!!

I am looking into alternatives 'cause I need to front camera to be sure that I don't get curb chafe on my Vorsteiner front spoiler.
Old 12-23-20, 03:51 AM
JoeJahja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Marwan74
that would be the best option. However, the single Lexus dealer here is living in denial. stating there is no such update
Marwan, show this pic website

to your dealer about this Apple CarPlay and Android RETROFIT available from authorised dealer in Australia
Old 12-24-20, 08:35 AM
Carfocus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were you able to find a module that gives the tracking lines? Want to know your experience.

thanks

Originally Posted by vraa
I ended up doing the install at my local car stereo shop (River Oaks Car Stereo) but the camera I got wasn't satisfactory, I wanted parking lines and what not, so I'm looking for another camera module

I just have to churn through all the chinese crap on ebay/amazon and find one that does mirroring too