LC Model (2018-present)

Front license plate question in NYS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 06:59 AM
Mark649
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front license plate question in NYS

I recently purchased a 2018 LC 500 Structural Blue. Great dealership;, Lexus of Louisville I would highly recommend them, The salesgirl Latoya was awesome. In New York State we are required to put a front plate on the vehicle. I haven't done so yet but was wondering what options I have regarding brackets etc. It certainly takes away from the gorgeous grill but don't need to be ticketed or stopped. Doe anyone have any photos or suggestions or options for me.

Thanks much

Mark
Albany, New York
Old 06-07-18, 08:11 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

The state I'm in also requires a front plate, I run both of my vehicles without a hideous front plate. The bracket comes with your vehicle, it's probably in the trunk.
Old 06-07-18, 10:05 AM
IowaLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My state requires a front plate as well. However, my last six cars haven't had one. I've never been pulled over for it. I think most officers just understand because they themselves wouldn't put one on a sports, muscle, or grand touring car. I'll pay the ticket someday if I have to but never ruining the front of this car with a plate.
Old 06-08-18, 11:54 AM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark649
I recently purchased a 2018 LC 500 Structural Blue. Great dealership;, Lexus of Louisville I would highly recommend them, The salesgirl Latoya was awesome. In New York State we are required to put a front plate on the vehicle. I haven't done so yet but was wondering what options I have regarding brackets etc. It certainly takes away from the gorgeous grill but don't need to be ticketed or stopped. Doe anyone have any photos or suggestions or options for me.

Thanks much

Mark
Albany, New York
Do a search, or Google search. One quick one showed: https://www.slybrackets.com/store/ .
The following users liked this post:
Mark649 (06-08-18)
Old 06-11-18, 04:07 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

I can only offer this thought. If your state requires a front license plate and it’s not there, you are, for all intents and purposes, providing a legitimate reason for a peace officer to pull you over. What happens after the contact is on you. For example, you’ve been out to dinner, had a cocktail, or four, with dinner. You feel in control because you’ve built of a tolerance for alcoholic beverages over the years. A bored police officer, or maybe a brand new one pulls you over because you don’t have a front license plate. He, or she, smells the odor of an alcoholic beverage as you talk, next thing you’re out of the car, doing a field sobriety test, or worse, they have you blow on-the-spot. That missing license plate, legitimate probable cause for the stop, is going to cost you a fortune, $10K minimum. And for those of you with security clearances or careers where alcohol violations are really frowned upon, you just may have ended your future. Is the look of the front of your car, something you can’t even see when you’re driving it, really worth it?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-12-18 at 06:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mark649 (06-12-18)
Old 06-11-18, 04:25 PM
IowaLC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I can only offer this thought. If your state requires a front license plate and it’s not there, you are, for all intents and purposes, providing a legitimate reason for a peace officer to pull you over. What happens after the contact is on you. For example, you’ve been out to dinner, had a cocktail or four with dinner. You feel in control because you’ve built of a tolerance for alcoholic beverages over the years. A bored police officer, or maybe a brand new one pulls you over because you don’t have a front license plate. He, or she, smells the odor of an alcoholic beverage as you talk, next thing your out of the car, doing a field sobriety test, or worse, they have you blow on-the-spot. That missing license plate, legitimate probable cause for the stop, is going to cost you a fortune, $10K minimum. And for those of you with security clearances or careers where alcohol violations are really frowned upon, you just may have ended your future. Is the look of the front of your car, something you can’t even see when you’re driving it, really worth it?
Easy solution. Don't drink and drive.
Old 06-13-18, 04:52 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Easy solution. Don't drink and drive.
I think you missed the point. This isn’t about drinking and driving, it’s simply about following existing laws. If your state requires you to have a license plate attached to the front of your car, just do it. Otherwise, you may suffer unintended consequences.
Old 06-13-18, 06:02 PM
IowaLC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob

I think you missed the point. This isn’t about drinking and driving, it’s simply about following existing laws. If your state requires you to have a license plate attached to the front of your car, just do it. Otherwise, you may suffer unintended consequences.
I understood your point. For me though, if I were to get pulled over, the most illegal thing would be the license plate or lack thereof. There's nothing worse they're going to get me for.