LC Model (2018-present)

Lexus Will Give You $5,000 If You Buy an LC This Month

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 08:33 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael3UZ
The odd styling is probably putting potential buyers off, there's so many better looking V8 coupes in the market, and they nearly all come with twin turbos if you need the extra speed.
I doubt that. It is drop dead gorgeous. More than likely, it's the price\performance ratio. If it were a $60K or $70K car, Lexus wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot. But for a $100K sports car, it's slow.

Old 08-20-18, 02:20 PM
Madmax0609
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bob04
I doubt that. It is drop dead gorgeous. More than likely, it's the price\performance ratio. If it were a $60K or $70K car, Lexus wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot. But for a $100K sports car, it's slow.
The LC is not a sports car, and I think the misconception comes from the way it looks. I sold my CTS-V for the LC. The V was a sports sedan, was marketed as so, and it was very fast. The problem with the LC is it's just a Grand Touring car that looks/sounds like a sports car, GT cars have one purpose.. to make long distance drives in comfort and style. The LC accomplishes this better than most other GT cars.

Old 08-22-18, 01:25 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Madmax0609
The LC is not a sports car, and I think the misconception comes from the way it looks. I sold my CTS-V for the LC. The V was a sports sedan, was marketed as so, and it was very fast. The problem with the LC is it's just a Grand Touring car that looks/sounds like a sports car, GT cars have one purpose.. to make long distance drives in comfort and style. The LC accomplishes this better than most other GT cars.
The BMW M6 is a GT sort of car, but its fast, faster than the LC. The Benz equivalent is faster too and its a GT.
Old 08-22-18, 02:42 PM
BigMau
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not sure why Lexus decided to make the exhaust so loud when the performance is relatively modest compared to the competition. It lacks serious ooomph. I might find this acceptable but having it so noisy when using it ruins the Od School GT concept [I note "Old School" as Porsche and Mercedes now use GT for some highest performance models]. I have some powerful cars but I enjoy the relatively quiet LS Sport as it's not calling attention to itself when I "use" it.

Dual [triple?] mode exhaust, yes. But one mode should allow you to nail it without yelling out for attention.

Styling: I think it's great. The only issue is that the performance doesn't quite match the look.
Old 08-22-18, 04:09 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think it's loud enough, Lexus should have an option to change the exhaust note like other makes.
Old 08-22-18, 05:11 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 98 Posts

I think it's perfect. That's why I bought it. I don't need it to be any faster. The styling really inspired me when I bought it a year ago, and it still does today. The engineering details are exceptional. I find the exhaust note to be perfect too. Not too loud - just loud enough. The sound match to the drive mode seems to be reasonably thought out. I find the LC to be a great balance between sportiness and luxury. I have no issues at all with some people saying it's underpowered for the price. Handling and styling are more important to me than supercar acceleration. The car simply wasn't designed for drag racing, and I'm perfectly OK with that. Anyone that isn't should be shopping elsewhere.
Old 08-23-18, 07:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uchujin
I think it's perfect. That's why I bought it. I don't need it to be any faster. The styling really inspired me when I bought it a year ago, and it still does today. The engineering details are exceptional. I find the exhaust note to be perfect too. Not too loud - just loud enough. The sound match to the drive mode seems to be reasonably thought out. I find the LC to be a great balance between sportiness and luxury. I have no issues at all with some people saying it's underpowered for the price. Handling and styling are more important to me than supercar acceleration. The car simply wasn't designed for drag racing, and I'm perfectly OK with that. Anyone that isn't should be shopping elsewhere.
It begs the question, how many buyers like you are out there? Judging by the sales numbers, not enough. If Lexus had the proper powertrains to compete, they wouldnt be playing the driving dynamics, sounds and general emotions of the car to appeal to buyers. Lexus knows its V8 is behind in performance so they can't really trumpet power as a selling point.
Old 08-23-18, 08:51 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by situman
It begs the question, how many buyers like you are out there? Judging by the sales numbers, not enough. If Lexus had the proper powertrains to compete, they wouldnt be playing the driving dynamics, sounds and general emotions of the car to appeal to buyers. Lexus knows its V8 is behind in performance so they can't really trumpet power as a selling point.
I agree with the sales numbers perspective. US sales have been well below the projected 400 target (http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...exus/lexus-lc/). I'm not confident more power (or a stronger power-to-weight ratio) would make much of a difference - based on the US NSX sales numbers (http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...ura/acura-nsx/). Discounts exceeding $40K haven't impacted NSX sales very much, and it has the performance numbers many are wanting in the LC. The fact that there are plenty of comparable-performers out there in the $50K range, likely has a significant impact on sales. I guess the question I ponder most is - What is Lexus' take on the sales figures? It's been over a year and there haven't been any official changes announced yet.
Old 08-23-18, 09:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uchujin
I agree with the sales numbers perspective. US sales have been well below the projected 400 target (http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...exus/lexus-lc/). I'm not confident more power (or a stronger power-to-weight ratio) would make much of a difference - based on the US NSX sales numbers (http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...ura/acura-nsx/). Discounts exceeding $40K haven't impacted NSX sales very much, and it has the performance numbers many are wanting in the LC. The fact that there are plenty of comparable-performers out there in the $50K range, likely has a significant impact on sales. I guess the question I ponder most is - What is Lexus' take on the sales figures? It's been over a year and there haven't been any official changes announced yet.
I believe that a buyer spending $100k+ on a car, they wouldnt compare it to cars below that price range, certainly not in the $50k range. The badge comes first, then bragging rights. Without bragging rights, you need a shiny badge. When your badge is less shiny and have no bragging rights....of course there will be people that will buy the car because they like it and want it,, but as the numbers show, there are not enough of them.

Lexus is responding to the low sales numbers by offering $5k incentives, which is not a lot considering they are offering $4k on a GX.
Old 08-23-18, 10:14 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by situman

Lexus is responding to the low sales numbers by offering $5k incentives, which is not a lot considering they are offering $4k on a GX.
That's a good point. I had forgotten about the $5K incentive. I agree - doesn't seem to be making much of a difference on sales volume. I wish I knew the sales figures in Japan, or whether the US LC sales goals have changed since its release. In any case, the sales numbers would seem to add all that much more credence to a forthcoming LC-F model consideration for Lexus.

Old 10-13-18, 07:04 AM
JMD69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offer is still valid in Houston

the offer is through 10/31/18. it seems they keep extending it. My guess is it goes away for xmas.
Old 10-13-18, 08:52 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Got $5K off of mine. About matched the price of a used one on Edmunds with 750 miles.
Old 10-15-18, 08:52 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JMD69
the offer is through 10/31/18. it seems they keep extending it. My guess is it goes away for xmas.
If anything the incentives will be upped during xmas for the December to remember event. They also particularly want to rid the 2018's due to the improvements made in 2019.
Old 10-16-18, 10:13 AM
housedogg
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with you on the styling. That's the reason I bought one. I am here on an island, Oahu (Hawaii) and there are approx 15-18 LC's on the island. I still get looks and people wanting to take pictures of the car...believe it or not, there are a lot of people that don't even know its a Lexus...
Old 10-16-18, 10:16 AM
housedogg
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can tell you that the Lexus sales over here in Hawaii are booming. We aren't part of Lexus USA over here, we get our cars directly from Japan. I didn't realize Hawaii wasn't part of Lexus USA until I had the manager explain it to me.