LC Model (2018-present)

Front camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 04:52 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 98 Posts

Glad you solved the mystery. As I mentioned before, the sill plates are mostly matte intentionally - to help hide scuff marks. A glossy finish would show scuffs/scratches way too easily. Here in New England, vinyl wrap would never survive the battle against heavy boot scrapes, etc. Maybe light-weight Florida flip flops are more forgiving! I get visible scuff marks on mine all the time, but they polish out of the matte surface fairly easily.
Old 01-21-19, 04:55 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
Glad you solved the mystery. As I mentioned before, the sill plates are mostly matte intentionally - to help hide scuff marks. A glossy finish would show scuffs/scratches way too easily. Here in New England, vinyl wrap would never survive the battle against heavy boot scrapes, etc. Maybe light-weight Florida flip flops are more forgiving! I get visible scuff marks on mine all the time, but they polish out of the matte surface fairly easily.
Oh man, I have 3 scuff marks on my matte portion of the CF sill. How do u get those out PLEASE!?
Old 01-21-19, 05:46 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Oh man, I have 3 scuff marks on my matte portion of the CF sill. How do u get those out PLEASE!?
I use Novus polishes to remove scratches from plastics and acrylics, and their products seem to work well on my sill plates. I'm assuming these have an epoxy or polyester coating on them. I've only used the "level 1 - clean & shine" for fear of removing any of the surface coating - which might happen if I used any of the heavier scratch removers. Heavier scratches might require the "level 2 - fine scratch remover". Go easy and test on a small area first.

https://www.novuspolish.com/index.html

Last edited by uchujin; 01-21-19 at 05:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
guanche2k9 (01-21-19)
Old 01-24-19, 04:09 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by runner44
The puzzle has been solved!. As it turns out I do, in fact, have the proper full carbon fiber door sills. Sorry for the wild goose chase.
Exactly like I said at the very beginning of the thread...
Old 01-28-19, 06:50 AM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Once you get scuff marks out-suggest you have clear film applied. See previous pics. Have mine 6 or more months and no scuff marks. I had mine applied over the scuff marks and they are not visible. The sill plates look great with the film.
Old 01-28-19, 03:46 PM
OregonLC50
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front/rear view

Runner44,

Would you post a picture of both the front view and rear view camera (oem and aftermarket) each approaching a curb from the front and rear. Perhaps one within a inch of a front and rear curb and one within 12-18 inches. I have a few scrapes on the front of the car lowest to the ground because of the difficulty judging distance from curb to front bottom edge.
Old 01-28-19, 05:57 PM
OregonLC50
Driver School Candidate

Default Front Camera correction

To clarify, I meant a picture of what the display shows and how you determine your distance from front and rear object.
Old 02-13-19, 01:04 PM
JONPRON
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

The same carbon plates for my 2018. Picture attached

Carbon fiber kick plate
Old 02-13-19, 04:07 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by uchujin
I use Novus polishes to remove scratches from plastics and acrylics, and their products seem to work well on my sill plates. I'm assuming these have an epoxy or polyester coating on them. I've only used the "level 1 - clean & shine" for fear of removing any of the surface coating - which might happen if I used any of the heavier scratch removers. Heavier scratches might require the "level 2 - fine scratch remover". Go easy and test on a small area first.

https://www.novuspolish.com/index.html
So I received that Novus polish - I got the starter pack, which had Lvl 1, 2, and 3. I started with 1, and nothing, then with 2, a little better, and finally with 3. Unfortunately my scratches were too deep for the Lvl 3 to remove, and the product, somewhat removed that matte finish now on that portion of the scuff plate.

Nevertheless, if the scratches weren't so deep, it would've definitely done the job!
JONPRON (02-13-19)
Old 02-13-19, 04:46 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
So I received that Novus polish - I got the starter pack, which had Lvl 1, 2, and 3. I started with 1, and nothing, then with 2, a little better, and finally with 3. Unfortunately my scratches were too deep for the Lvl 3 to remove, and the product, somewhat removed that matte finish now on that portion of the scuff plate.

Nevertheless, if the scratches weren't so deep, it would've definitely done the job!
Yeah, that's the problem with scratches. It's sometimes difficult to know what's too deep for buffing out. In your case, new clear coating is probably the only good solution. I suspect a good body shop could refinish them with a nice matte polyester clear coat. If you do that, maybe have a Lexus dealer remove them, so if one breaks during removal, they'll have to replace it. You could also try the easier vinyl wrap route that's been suggested earlier in this thread, although for me, I know the vinyl wouldn't hold up very well to scuffing.
JONPRON (02-13-19)
Old 02-14-19, 01:52 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

The thread starter really has to change the title, this thread has already been highjacked to door sill plates a long time ago...
web4488 (02-15-19)
Old 02-14-19, 07:28 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

LOL

I've about given up!
Old 02-18-19, 05:55 AM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The picture is posted early on in this thread- there are green, yellow and red indicator marks. My camera is set up so the red is about 10 inches from front object.
Old 02-18-19, 09:44 AM
OregonLC50
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I was unable to determine if the 3rd image was front or back, what the different color lines meant (exact distance) and how that image differed from the OEM rear view camera. Would have liked to see images where you are 3 feet, 1 foot and inches away from a curb that would certainly damage the front underside. Thanks for what you did post.
Old 02-18-19, 02:37 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

I'd love to see another wireless/bluetooth option where I can just install the camera myself and then view the front bumper from my phone screen. I certainly wouldn't want my LC to be dismantled like the one in this video:

Would any of you know of wireless options out there, that are simple to install please?

I'll be installing a lip kit and lowering my LC, and I know I'll be at higher risk of curbing my front lip everywhere. Thanks!
JONPRON (02-25-19)

Quick Reply: Front camera